Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    I think the writers of the Louisiana textbook in question would agree with you. All they are doing is dispelling the myth that slave owners spent night and day beating their slaves. The horse analogy is a good one.

    Nobody is apologizing for slave owners. Slavery is wrong, plain and simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Keeping another human being conscripted to work for like a horse is abusive and cruel in its own right. Im sure those slaves were great once they were broken like a horse right?

    Plenty of people abuse their horses I am guessing that you have not been around many horses. Horses require a lot of work to keep them healthy but most people do not put that kind of effort into their horses. That is why there are so many horse rescues all around the country.


    But the bottom line is that slaves and horses have one thing in common they are captives and the property of someone they do not even belong to themselves. To pretend that slave owners were all nice and kind is revisionism bull****.



    I guess in your book whipping people is a kind treatment?

  2. #232
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Of course there were dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What the hell have we been arguing about this whole time then?
    I think that was my point.

  3. #233
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I think the writers of the Louisiana textbook in question would agree with you. All they are doing is dispelling the myth that slave owners spent night and day beating their slaves. The horse analogy is a good one.

    Nobody is apologizing for slave owners. Slavery is wrong, plain and simple.
    I think they were in many respects. While many did not beat their slaves, to call them kind is....look, owning other human beings is not kind. There's just no other way to say that. It is not kind to control somebody else and force them to do labor for your profit. It is not kind to deny somebody their freedom. Slavery is inherently, not kind.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #234
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    There is a problem, however, with the complaint of the OP. "Religion" also means "metaphysics" - or beyond the preceived physical realities.

    Many physicists claim that it is scientific fact there are "metaphysical" realities in many regards - then argue what that means. For example, about 80% of the known physical size/weight of reality/the universe can not be accounted for. Therefore, "science" as we know it is only figuring 20% - and then what, we all agree to declare the other 80 percent ("black matter" doesn't exist - or that it does exist BUT that it is limited to fitting within what is known? That we know what isn't known as a scientific fact? That's nonsensical.

    There are all sorts of schools of thought that would contradict the absolute certainty of the OP in current scientific knowledge for in philopsophies - secular, non-secular and sociological.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think they were in many respects. While many did not beat their slaves, to call them kind is....look, owning other human beings is not kind. There's just no other way to say that. It is not kind to control somebody else and force them to do labor for your profit. It is not kind to deny somebody their freedom. Slavery is inherently, not kind.
    This is like a game of telephone gone bad. Check out the quote again, from page 1 of the thread:

    "A few slave holders were undeniably cruel. Examples of slaves beaten to death were not common, neither were they unknown. The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well."

    First, it doesn't say slave holders were kind. It says some were cruel, and gives the example that some slave holders beat their slaves to death. It goes on to say that some slave owners treated their slaves well. Take this in context. "Well," of course is relative. They're SLAVE HOLDERS for crying out loud. The point of the passage is simply to educate schoolchildren on the treatment of the slaves.

    The fact is that most were well-fed and cared for.

  6. #236
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is like a game of telephone gone bad. Check out the quote again, from page 1 of the thread:

    "A few slave holders were undeniably cruel. Examples of slaves beaten to death were not common, neither were they unknown. The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well."

    First, it doesn't say slave holders were kind. It says some were cruel, and gives the example that some slave holders beat their slaves to death. It goes on to say that some slave owners treated their slaves well. Take this in context. "Well," of course is relative. They're SLAVE HOLDERS for crying out loud. The point of the passage is simply to educate schoolchildren on the treatment of the slaves.

    The fact is that most were well-fed and cared for.
    Change the adjective from "kind" to "well-treated" and I still stand behind it. Keeping people as property, in forced labor, and without freedom is not "treating them well."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Change the adjective from "kind" to "well-treated" and I still stand behind it. Keeping people as property, in forced labor, and without freedom is not "treating them well."
    "Well-treated"... as opposed to being beaten, sometimes to death.

    Not "well-treated" as in they were treated to a spa day and an all-you-can-eat buffet.

    Relative, homeboy. It's all relative. Well, good, bad, poor... these are all relative terms. Their meaning depends on the value one thing has in relation to something else.

    The University of Alabama has a "good" football team. They are the defending collegiate national champions. Ask them to play a season in the NFL, and they would be a bad team. Good and bad....relative terms. All depends on what you're measuring up against.

    Johnny's SAT scores might have been good for some schools, but they were poor compared to the average student at Harvard. Etc...
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 10-08-12 at 03:17 PM.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    The point of the passage is simply to educate schoolchildren on the treatment of the slaves.
    Not quite. The point of the history textbook quoted is to reduce feelings of animosity toward slave-owners in America's past by providing examples that most historians would note as exceptions rather than common behaviour in the slave-owning period. By reducing animosity toward that class, one can then claim that modern black Americans have less justification for claiming racial bigotry is an innate part of the American heritage because the "Blacks had it so good back then"
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    It can't be ruled out, but you are clearly speculating. The conclusion you draw can't be deduced from just the brief quotation given.

    It could be as you say, or it could be all in your own mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Not quite. The point of the history textbook quoted is to reduce feelings of animosity toward slave-owners in America's past by providing examples that most historians would note as exceptions rather than common behaviour in the slave-owning period. By reducing animosity toward that class, one can then claim that modern black Americans have less justification for claiming racial bigotry is an innate part of the American heritage because the "Blacks had it so good back then"

  10. #240
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,038

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I think the writers of the Louisiana textbook in question would agree with you. All they are doing is dispelling the myth that slave owners spent night and day beating their slaves. The horse analogy is a good one.

    Nobody is apologizing for slave owners. Slavery is wrong, plain and simple.
    Really? No actually the text books are trying to paint a rosey picture of slavery and racism. In reality no people being held against their will are treated well.

    The introduction continues that many defenders of slavery argued that
    slave owners treated slaves well but that slaves were not treated well. The text lists the
    following conditions of slave life, that slaves were: “fed meagerly; lived in squalid, fleainfested
    shacks; were often whipped for minor ‘offenses’ by cruel overseers; were
    forbidden by law to learn to read and write; were sold away from their wives, husbands,
    or children; and suffered the basic indignity of continual subservience to others”
    (Skiba,
    et al., 2005, p. 319). The text also names Denmark Vesey and Nat Turner as organizers of
    slave revolts, both of whom were squelched, resulting in a number of deaths. The text
    also documents the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, quoted as dictating that “’good citizens’”
    (Skiba, et al., 2005, p. 320) could aid authorities in the capturing of run-away slaves and
    that anyone aiding a runaway slave would be subject to fines. Also discussed is the Dred
    Scott decision, which allowed a slave owner to still claim ownership of another person,
    even in non-slave territory. The text cited these acts and an argument over the allowance
    of slavery in the new territories as escalating arguments that led to the Civil War.


    http://etd.ohiolink.edu/send-pdf.cgi...hiou1251483565

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •