Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #201
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It's not their dollars, these are public funds being used to indoctrinate children in religious and/or right wing lies. These schools need to be cut off from public funds or shut down immediately.
    I agree with you, but you dont go far enough, all shools should be cut off from public funds.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    There were good and bad slave owners. Grow up ffs!
    LOL!

    I would ask you to define what makes a "good" slave owner, but I'm sure what I would get would be ad hominems and avoidance....along with the continuing unawareness of the contradiction inherent in the term.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Question: How many of you who have replied to this thread actually have children in the Louisiana school system?


    Most likely one or two of you, at most.


    I question the motives behind this thread. I agree with the poster who said it reeks of a smear piece. Great, everyone tee off and bash the Conservative Christians.


    Here's another question: Are you surprised that Conservative Christianity is deeply entrenched in the traditions of the deep south? Is this some new and breaking development?


    Of course not. It's been that way for centuries.



    Why are you, then, incapable of leaving the good people of Louisiana alone? This is a state issue, it doesn't concern you. Why stick your nose in where it doesn't belong?

    Southerners call it "carpet bagging." You may have good intentions, but I assure you, the good people of Louisiana are more than capable of running their own state without your condescending meddling.

  4. #204
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Question: How many of you who have replied to this thread actually have children in the Louisiana school system?

    Most likely one or two of you, at most.

    I question the motives behind this thread. I agree with the poster who said it reeks of a smear piece. Great, everyone tee off and bash the Conservative Christians.

    Here's another question: Are you surprised that Conservative Christianity is deeply entrenched in the traditions of the deep south? Is this some new and breaking development?

    Of course not. It's been that way for centuries.

    Why are you, then, incapable of leaving the good people of Louisiana alone? This is a state issue, it doesn't concern you. Why stick your nose in where it doesn't belong?

    Southerners call it "carpet bagging." You may have good intentions, but I assure you, the good people of Louisiana are more than capable of running their own state without your condescending meddling.
    This is government-funded religious "schooling." It could be a constitutional issue. Louisiana can't just ignore that on the basis of "state's rights." It's totally everyone's business if they are violating the constitution by funding religious indoctrination.

    Second, it effects everyone in this country when children are being taught idiotic, Dark Ages fantasy instead of reality in schools. Those kids will vote someday. They might move to another state someday. This is a real social issue for everyone in this country.

    Third, the fact that it may not be happening in your own state doesn't mean you have no right to comment on it. We have a right to comment on whatever social, political, and educational things are going on in this country that we want. Lord knows the Southerners aren't shy of doing it themselves. They've got very big mouths concerning states that have legalized gay marriage or that have fairly laid back abortion laws or whatever else, and a lot of them are very keen to try to influence those states to alter their course. I think they have a word for that; it might be hypocrisy.

  5. #205
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Double post. Site went all crazy just as I was posting it.

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Do you have proof that federal funds are going to this?

    I believe voucher money to private schools is typically local, but maybe you'll prove me wrong.

    If YOUR tax dollars are directly paying for this, then you certainly do have a say.

    If YOUR tax dollars are NOT paying for this, you are just meddling.


    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    This is government-funded religious "schooling." It could be a constitutional issue. Louisiana can't just ignore that on the basis of "state's rights." It's totally everyone's business if they are violating the constitution by funding religious indoctrination.

    Second, it effects everyone in this country when children are being taught idiotic, Dark Ages fantasy instead of reality in schools. Those kids will vote someday. They might move to another state someday. This is a real social issue for everyone in this country.

    Third, the fact that it may not be happening in your own state doesn't mean you have no right to comment on it. We have a right to comment on whatever social, political, and educational things are going on in this country that we want. Lord knows the Southerners aren't shy of doing it themselves. They've got very big mouths concerning states that have legalized gay marriage or that have fairly laid back abortion laws or whatever else, and a lot of them are very keen to try to influence those states to alter their course. I think they have a word for that; it might be hypocrisy.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    There is no precedent that says we need to change this due to some perceived social engineering effects which, by the way, you haven't supported with any data.

    If you poll the residents of Louisiana, many or most might be fine with this.

    Everyone's moral compass isn't exactly the same as yours.

    To use your own example: Probably half of all Americans find homosexuality objectionable on the grounds that it's degrading to society. Should the government be able to step in and make sure our schools teach kids that gay is wrong? These are future voters after all. They might move to other states.

    I'm gonna take a wild guess here, SmokeAndMirrors, and say that when it agrees with YOUR ideology, the government should act... but when it doesn't, they should stay the hell out.

    It doesn't work like that. But oh, how we all hate people who aren't like us. It's human nature I suppose. Those damn right wing crazy religious backward gun-toting hillbillies...


    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    This is government-funded religious "schooling." It could be a constitutional issue. Louisiana can't just ignore that on the basis of "state's rights." It's totally everyone's business if they are violating the constitution by funding religious indoctrination.

    Second, it effects everyone in this country when children are being taught idiotic, Dark Ages fantasy instead of reality in schools. Those kids will vote someday. They might move to another state someday. This is a real social issue for everyone in this country.

    Third, the fact that it may not be happening in your own state doesn't mean you have no right to comment on it. We have a right to comment on whatever social, political, and educational things are going on in this country that we want. Lord knows the Southerners aren't shy of doing it themselves. They've got very big mouths concerning states that have legalized gay marriage or that have fairly laid back abortion laws or whatever else, and a lot of them are very keen to try to influence those states to alter their course. I think they have a word for that; it might be hypocrisy.

  8. #208
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Do you have proof that federal funds are going to this?

    I believe voucher money to private schools is typically local, but maybe you'll prove me wrong.

    If YOUR tax dollars are directly paying for this, then you certainly do have a say.

    If YOUR tax dollars are NOT paying for this, you are just meddling.
    It doesn't matter whether it's coming from the fed or not. It still could be unconstitutional even if it's coming from the state government, which it is.

    I'm not meddling. It's the Constitution. It applies to every state and their local governments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    There is no precedent that says we need to change this due to some perceived social engineering effects which, by the way, you haven't supported with any data.

    If you poll the residents of Louisiana, many or most might be fine with this.

    Everyone's moral compass isn't exactly the same as yours.

    To use your own example: Probably half of all Americans find homosexuality objectionable on the grounds that it's degrading to society. Should the government be able to step in and make sure our schools teach kids that gay is wrong? These are future voters after all. They might move to other states.

    I'm gonna take a wild guess here, SmokeAndMirrors, and say that when it agrees with YOUR ideology, the government should act... but when it doesn't, they should stay the hell out.

    It doesn't work like that. But oh, how we all hate people who aren't like us. It's human nature I suppose. Those damn right wing crazy religious backward gun-toting hillbillies...
    So what? Don't I have to right to disagree with them? If not, what's the point of this forum, or any kind of democracy? Why don't we all just sit quietly in the corner, then?

    Nope, that's not the case at all. The government does a lot of things I don't personally believe in, but in some cases I recognize my beliefs would be wrong to enforce governmentally.

    Just because you don't know the difference between personal bones and social policy doesn't mean we're all like that.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    It doesn't matter whether it's coming from the fed or not. It still could be unconstitutional even if it's coming from the state government, which it is.

    I'm not meddling. It's the Constitution. It applies to every state and their local governments.
    We have two separate questions here: an ethical question, and a legal question.

    Legally, we are discussing private schools who have the right to teach that the sky is purple if they want to. Parents don't have to send their children to that particular school. That is the beauty of the voucher system, that the money can be put toward whatever school the parents believe is best for their own children.

    I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt you have much of a legal case. If you did, I'm certain that there would already be lawsuits challenging the program.

    That leaves us with the ethical question - whether you are entitled to a say in something that is happening not in your community, and that you are not helping to fund.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    So what? Don't I have to right to disagree with them? If not, what's the point of this forum, or any kind of democracy? Why don't we all just sit quietly in the corner, then?

    Nope, that's not the case at all. The government does a lot of things I don't personally believe in, but in some cases I recognize my beliefs would be wrong to enforce governmentally.

    Just because you don't know the difference between personal bones and social policy doesn't mean we're all like that.
    You have every right to your opinion. You don't have the right to IMPOSE your opinion on other people. And yes, that applies to me as much as it applies to you.

    If you would have just said "I don't think those 14 points are appropriate subject matter for schoolchildren" I wouldn't have any problem with that. I take issue when you (or anyone not involved in that particular community) talks about what action needs to be taken, because it's not your place, or uses a thread like this as a springboard to bash all things Christian.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •