Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #191
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    My children went to public school in Colorado. All the public schools were union. If you say my statements are untrue in the U.S., you haven't been paying attention or you're in a teachers' union and you're lying.
    Less than one fourth of the school districts in Colorado have union collective bargaining agreements.

    Your statements are untrue

    I am not now a teacher and have never been in a teachers union.

    My only time standing at the front of a classroom was in another country.


    The following statement has not a bit of truth in it, other than the one that they may have attended a school where some of the teachers were in a union.
    My children attended a unionized public school. Things they were taught. The Holocaust never happened. Spelling, punctuation, structure, and grammar are unimportant. Communism is the only compassionate system. The earth will be destroyed by pollution in a few years. DDT causes cancer. And, my personal favorite, the Constitution is a living document and doesn't need to be followed.

    IF your children were in a class on one day in 1987, and if you lived in Aurora at the time, they might have heard a teacher, not a history, but an English, teacher deny the Holocaust.

    from the American Jewish Committee on Holocaust Denial
    1. The Denver Post of March 10, 1991 reportcd: "Dorothy Groteluschcn was
    an English teacher. She was giving a lesson on the placement of adjective clauses,
    and read from a textbook that said: 'The photographs that she [Margaret Bourke
    White] took near the end of the war of the Nazi prison camp at Buchenwald serve
    as a grim memorial to the victims of the Holocaust.'
    "Court documents say Groteluschen told students, 'Now there is a reminder
    of the Holocaust even in the grammar book,' adding that there is historical
    disagreement about the Holocaust. 'Some say Holocaust, some say holohoax.'
    ". . . Her defense was 'I have for years automatically exposed my students to
    the other side of controversial issues, such as evolution and abortion. . . . mhe
    Holocaust is] a taboo topic, and I did not rcalize how taboo the topic was.. . No
    reputable historian today is going to say that nothing happened. . . . What the
    argument is over is the six million deaths.' "
    Your other statements have even less support

    One may disagree with public education but your argument will be better supported if you use verifiable claims.

    I always must ask those who hate America's public education system what they think about the reality that all of the nations with better educational results have centrally controlled educational systems.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #192
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Kidnapping, breaking families apart and punishing those who try to escape is part of slavery's bones, so to speak. I'm referring to how they were treated on the plantations who bought them. Unless owners were psychotic, they didn't destroy the very people they viewed as valuable assets. JMVHO.
    Under the British Empire, the people in Ireland had it worse. Their status was lower than the African Americans' status as property; the peasants, like most Europeans in the 19th Century, only lived on property. So when the crop failure caused a famine, the British owners of Ireland let one third of the Irish starve to death.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Meanwhile, at your everyday Chicago public school......

  4. #194
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Meanwhile, at your everyday Chicago public school......
    A friend of mine sent me this image and said it was the new democrat logo.Perhaps it should be the Teacher's Union logo with the tax payers and students representing the stick figure who is bending.
    Untitledattachment00107.jpg
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #195
    User WhiteIvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cali
    Last Seen
    10-02-12 @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    Under the British Empire, the people in Ireland had it worse. Their status was lower than the African Americans' status as property; the peasants, like most Europeans in the 19th Century, only lived on property. So when the crop failure caused a famine, the British owners of Ireland let one third of the Irish starve to death.
    So slave owners were kinder than the British Empire... And Stalin was actually worse than Hitler. What's the point?

    Slavery was horrible and a terrible blemish on our American History. That's the point. Talking about how most slaves were actually treated "kind" (puke) is insulting to the millions of people who were VICTIMS of slavery.

    Another example of defending the oppressors and invalidating the oppressed. How will we ever move forward?...
    “Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Words from the Dalai Lama

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    I'm thinking that we have moved forward in ways accomplished before you were born. And I'm really pretty bored about the oppressions of slavery just as I am about the discrimination against Irish and Italians. Bored.

  7. #197
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Slave owners were good people and Klowns worked for the good of the community?
    the vast majority of humankind have lived in slave-owning societies; people born in them were neither inherently better or worse than ourselves, those who owned slaves simply had greater power to demonstrate evil or good. that being said, regardless of whether they did it for good motives, slaves were a valuable investment, and people took care of them in order to protect that investment; along with a definite cultural sense of paternalism.

    and the Klan did indeed fill the social function that was described - they would chase down fathers who tried to abandon their families, for example. It doesn't make them not a terrorist association (which they certainly were), it just means that that is not all that they did.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and the Klan did indeed fill the social function that was described - they would chase down fathers who tried to abandon their families, for example. It doesn't make them not a terrorist association (which they certainly were), it just means that that is not all that they did.
    and the same justification may be used for Hezbollah in today's world

    Hezbollah social services are social development programs, hospitals, news services, and educational facilities organized by the Lebanese paramilitary group, Hezbollah. Social services have a central role in the party's programs. Most experts believe that Hezbollah's social and health programs are worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually. The American think tank Council on Foreign Relations also said that Hezbollah "is a major provider of social services, operating schools, hospitals, and agricultural services for thousands of Lebanese Shiites."

    "Hezbollah not only has armed and political wings - it also boasts an extensive social development program. Hezbollah currently operates at least four hospitals, twelve clinics, twelve schools and two agricultural centres that provide farmers with technical assistance and training. It also has an environmental department and an extensive social assistance program. Medical care is also cheaper than in most of the country's private hospitals and free for Hezbollah members"
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #199
    User WhiteIvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cali
    Last Seen
    10-02-12 @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm thinking that we have moved forward in ways accomplished before you were born..
    Intellectual wasteland. That's what I'm bored with.

    I'm out!
    “Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Words from the Dalai Lama

  10. #200
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    and the same justification may be used for Hezbollah in today's world
    Hezbollah does provide those services. It's part of what makes them so resilient.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •