Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #11
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And we all know that conservatives are bitter that their candidate was caught with his pants down... again.
    We don't know if he did, or not, because MJ is missing two minutes of the speech. What "two minutes" are missing from this story?

    It's clearly an attack on Christianity. Maybe Louisiana should start burning **** down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #12
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Much ado about nothing. If they can get out of high school reading and spelling near a 12th grade level, speak and write proper english and perform basic math it is a win. The article can only identify 19 of over 100 schools that MAY teach creationism. It is a very small part of science that will be of little consequence. It doesn't change anything about the periodic table. You don't get to control everything that people learn or want to believe. And most of it will pass as people grow in their education. I know kids now that steadfastly believe in creationism despite what they are being taught in school. Other kids will just as steadfastly not believe in creationism even if it is taught.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  3. #13
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Moderator's Warning:
    14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher SchoolsMoved to Non-MSM forum.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    If she's attending one of these schools, the blame lies strictly with her parents-- this isn't the mainstream welfare school curriculum. If she isn't attending one of these schools, then their derp-faced stupidity isn't going to affect her.
    Well, there are various effects, Viktyr. There'll be more poorly-educated kids in Louisiana, which has enacted the broadest voucher system in the country. The tax dollars of people who accept that science is science, history is history and religion is religion will be used for a purpose they aren't comfortable with. And the kids who are actually taught science and history will spend time with kids who aren't, leading to more social divisiveness.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Agreed that a credible source should be used.

    I have a niece and a nephew who due to my bother-in-law's job had to attend Louisiana public schools for awhile. After they returned to Texas, they were way behind in the Texas schools. The La. schools, for my niece, were covering things that she had already covered two years previously in Texas. Thankfully for her and my nephew, her parents were able to move back to Texas before she graduated.

    La. public schools have been at the bottom of the education rankings for a very longtime. Jindal is trying very hard to fix that, but moving an entrenched bureaucracy is no easy task. While he is trying to make changes, he has pushed for charter schools. The Teachers Union there have fought continuously against many of his reforms, including charter schools, since the publication Mother Jones is clearly a liberal source, liberals support/promote unions, it is not surprising to see them publishing negative articles about Jindal's reforms.

    Jindal's other efforts have included taking control of schools that repeatedly fail standards from independent districts and establishing standards for teachers. Both has met with stiff resistance from Teachers Unions. To improve a school, one has to get rid of the non-effective teachers and keep the effective ones, however, Unions hate the idea of being graded on and having their jobs hinge on actual performance than on tenure. Teachers have also riled against setting standards that they have to meet.

    My view on is that apparently the teachers union and their liberal backers would rather keep the states education system depressed to almost uselessness and near the bottom of education in the US than to make reasonable changes to improve education if it cost Union Jobs. The Union there has taken many steps, including propaganda, to fight against charter schools because the charter school teachers are mostly not members of the union and the union sees it as taking jobs away from union members. They are probably right about that, but considering the quality and ranking of education in their state, it probably really needs to be done.

    To the OP, wishing them to move from La. to Cali may not be as good as you think. Cali is ranked 30th for education and a charter school in La. may (or may not) actually provide your niece with a better education than she could get from Cali public schools.
    My reaction has nothing to do with unions. It has to do with using taxpayer dollars to teach children that "Africa needs more religion" or that "slaveowners were kind".

    I grew up in a rustbelt city with a long tradition of parallel school systems, public and parochial (Catholic). There were extremely strict limits on using any taxpayer dollars for any religious activity, religious instruction, etc.

    What has happened to these kind of limits? And why is Louisiana blessing any science textbook that teaches bad science?

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We don't know if he did, or not, because MJ is missing two minutes of the speech. What "two minutes" are missing from this story?

    It's clearly an attack on Christianity. Maybe Louisiana should start burning **** down?
    How is promoting this kind of nonsense "an attack on christianity"?

  7. #17
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    My reaction has nothing to do with unions. It has to do with using taxpayer dollars to teach children that "Africa needs more religion" or that "slaveowners were kind".

    I grew up in a rustbelt city with a long tradition of parallel school systems, public and parochial (Catholic). There were extremely strict limits on using any taxpayer dollars for any religious activity, religious instruction, etc.

    What has happened to these kind of limits? And why is Louisiana blessing any science textbook that teaches bad science?
    I believe slave owners were kind. They had quite an investment in their slaves. They were valuable assets. I think the majority of slave owners probably did not abuse their slaves any more than they would abuse their horses.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Much ado about nothing. If they can get out of high school reading and spelling near a 12th grade level, speak and write proper english and perform basic math it is a win. The article can only identify 19 of over 100 schools that MAY teach creationism. It is a very small part of science that will be of little consequence. It doesn't change anything about the periodic table. You don't get to control everything that people learn or want to believe. And most of it will pass as people grow in their education. I know kids now that steadfastly believe in creationism despite what they are being taught in school. Other kids will just as steadfastly not believe in creationism even if it is taught.
    It's only "much ado about nothing" if freedom of religion has lost all value for you.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I believe slave owners were kind. They had quite an investment in their slaves. They were valuable assets. I think the majority of slave owners probably did not abuse their slaves any more than they would abuse their horses.
    I have no idea what your idea of "kind" might be, but mine does not include kidnapping, breaking families apart, forcing people to work like dogs for no pay, nevermind killing those who tried to escape.

  10. #20
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I have no idea what your idea of "kind" might be, but mine does not include kidnapping, breaking families apart, forcing people to work like dogs for no pay, nevermind killing those who tried to escape.
    Kidnapping, breaking families apart and punishing those who try to escape is part of slavery's bones, so to speak. I'm referring to how they were treated on the plantations who bought them. Unless owners were psychotic, they didn't destroy the very people they viewed as valuable assets. JMVHO.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •