Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #181
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Can you show the readers verifiable proof that said statements are inaccurate? Or is this simply something that you 'know' is true?
    Go read the schools pages. Their reading lists are the same as public schools, the only difference is a small time percentage in religion classes. Besides, I don't have to disprove a flawed source making an inaccurate claim, you have to challenge that your source is accurate. And "cause I think so", or "because I like the source", and "The source says what I want it to" don't cut it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Go read the schools pages. Their reading lists are the same as public schools, the only difference is a small time percentage in religion classes. Besides, I don't have to disprove a flawed source making an inaccurate claim, you have to challenge that your source is accurate. And "cause I think so", or "because I like the source", and "The source says what I want it to" don't cut it.
    Right, so you just make a claim and say "I don't have to prove it." Quality debate right there.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,268

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    1-14 are not accurate. What else do you want me to tell you?
    Let us start with number 1 then. You can tell me why you claim that this is not "accurate" when it clearly gives the textbook that it comes out of.

    1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out: "Bible-believing Christians cannot accept any evolutionary interpretation. Dinosaurs and humans were definitely on the earth at the same time and may have even lived side by side within the past few thousand years."—Life Science, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2007
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #184
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Right, so you just make a claim and say "I don't have to prove it." Quality debate right there.
    I'm not making the OP claim, I am explaining why it is wrong. The claimant has to prove their case.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Boycott CAFOs View Post
    This is horrific.

    I almost want to cry. My niece lives in Louisiana. She's very smart, so I would hate for her potential to be so severely limited by such a tragic excuse for an education.

    I hope they move back to California soon. Ugh. This **** makes me mad.

    14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools | Mother Jones

    Whew! Seems extreme. But perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised. Gov. Jindal, you remember, once tried to perform an exorcism on a college gal pal."
    On the one hand, the schools using these texts are religious, so it's not problematic in the sense that these teachings will be limited to the students of parents who choose this for their children. On the other hand, I don't think taxpayer money should go to schools like this, but the things is that MOST religious schools, regardless of whether or not they are in such programs, getting some kind of government funding. I went to Catholic school and we got government money, so non-Catholics who thought that what we learning was horrible were contributing to it.

    I think that as long as science is taught along side stuff like this, it isn't problematic.

  6. #186
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Let us start with number 1 then. You can tell me why you claim that this is not "accurate" when it clearly gives the textbook that it comes out of.

    1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out: "Bible-believing Christians cannot accept any evolutionary interpretation. Dinosaurs and humans were definitely on the earth at the same time and may have even lived side by side within the past few thousand years."—Life Science, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2007
    All of these fourteen are according to change.org. These are not found in most of the school curricula as far as my own digging has produced. Again, flawed source using flawed sources. But hey, if you all want to keep going with this I'll bow out and let you all have fun at my state's expense.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #187
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Go read the schools pages. Their reading lists are the same as public schools, the only difference is a small time percentage in religion classes. Besides, I don't have to disprove a flawed source making an inaccurate claim, you have to challenge that your source is accurate. And "cause I think so", or "because I like the source", and "The source says what I want it to" don't cut it.
    This assertion is demonstrably false, which you'd know if you'd actually done the research you've claimed to do. For example, if you click on "curriculum" for the Northeast Baptist School in West Monroe, you get this (and only this):

    "The Christian curriculum used at NBS is designed for traditional classroom teaching. Materials used include ABeka Book Publications and Bob Jones University Press Publications. Individual Education Plans are available for students with special learning needs."

    Now, why do the names ABeka and Bob Jones sound familiar? Oh yeah! That's where all the quotes from the article come from.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,031

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Go read the schools pages. Their reading lists are the same as public schools, the only difference is a small time percentage in religion classes. Besides, I don't have to disprove a flawed source making an inaccurate claim, you have to challenge that your source is accurate. And "cause I think so", or "because I like the source", and "The source says what I want it to" don't cut it.

    Student/Parent Handbook Claiborne Christian

    Core Values
    The Bible - The Bible is the inspired Word of God and
    provides guidance for how we should live. 2 Timothy 3:16
    The school will:

     govern itself according to biblical principles.
    look to the Bible as the main source of knowledge
    for all subject areas.

     train teachers and students in a biblical worldview.
     integrate the Bible into all areas.
     provide an appropriate and challenging Bible
    curriculum at each grade level.
    Definitely the way to learn math and science: I Kings 7:23-26 tells us that a cauldron 10 cubits in diameter is 30 cubits in circumference. The biblical literalists have lots and lots of explanations for just how this was possible.
    Revelation 8:10
    And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
    Leviticus 11
    20 All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you.
    21 There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground.
    22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.
    23 But all other winged creatures that have four legs you are to detest.


    Northeast Baptist School

    The Christian curriculum used at NBS is designed for traditional classroom teaching. Materials used include ABeka Book Publications and Bob Jones University Press Publications.
    That's a couple of the schools
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,268

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    All of these fourteen are according to change.org. These are not found in most of the school curricula as far as my own digging has produced. Again, flawed source using flawed sources. But hey, if you all want to keep going with this I'll bow out and let you all have fun at my state's expense.
    Are you attempting to use yourself as some sort of evidence here?

    Are we to accept your word that you could not find the use of that particular book over a nationally published article subject to examination nation wide?

    Is that what you are expecting us to do - defer to you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #190
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    01-08-18 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    In what country did your children attend "unionized public school"? In the United States, I would say that such a statement is totally untrue.

    Provide proof of your claim or maybe an apology would suffice.
    My children went to public school in Colorado. All the public schools were union. If you say my statements are untrue in the U.S., you haven't been paying attention or you're in a teachers' union and you're lying.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •