Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 252

Thread: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

  1. #131
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    there ain't much good in slavery... nothing that comes remotely close to making up for slavery itself.

    I don't think i've ever heard of anyone buying a slave and immediately setting them free.... i've heard that some would allow slaves to work for their freedom, but hell, they kept them as slaves nonetheless... that earns them a "badguy" label too...

    on a side note, I hate that modern day slavery has a (nearly) blind eye pointed at it...the international sex slave business is paid lip service to by most... and that is just as egregious as the African slave trade.
    Good point, and we do ignore it for the most part. Look at our Saudi Arabian "ally".

    Slavery is wrong, always and everywhere.

  2. #132
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's like saying there are good serial killers... ones that don't torture their victims first, and bad ones. Just because some slave owners didn't treat their slaves horribly doesn't alter the fact that they owned SLAVES.
    I disagree with that.It depends on who the serial killers victims are. If his victims were rapists and other murders then I would think people would consider him a good serial killer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #133
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I disagree with that.It depends on who the serial killers victims are. If his victims were rapists and other murders then I would think people would consider him a good serial killer.
    That's an interesting point, but I think it depends on what kind of "good" you're talking about. If you mean "good" as in "good for society" (i.e. that the actions of this hypothetical killer are beneficial), that makes some sense. If, on the other hand, you mean that the serial killer is good by virtue of killing only bad people, that's a bit more tricky. In a Dexter kind of context, I don't think that having a moral compass re: who you kill matters that much when the underlying motivation isn't to do good, but to channel an irresistible urge to kill. That's still pretty evil, even if it has good results.

  4. #134
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that would result in a slaveowner that beats, abuses, or kills his slaves being on the exact same level as a slaveowners that treated his slaves humanely or even "kindly"( educating them, not beating them, etc,etc.)
    is not one worse than another?

    I think it's a given that all slaveowners were bad/evil (given the fact that they engaged in slavery).... but i don't it's a given that all abused their slaves.
    there were, infact, slaveowners that took on a paternalistic ideology concerning their slaves.. they took on a moral responsibility and treated them like their "children" ( this was rare though).. a great number looked at it from a businesslike point of view, in that they treated slaves like an investment... the labor cash cow
    and then there was the abusers, also a great number.. who treated them with malicious cruelty.
    the "businessman" probably didn't treat them as badly as the "abuser", but he was worse than the "father figure".... if that makes sense.


    I don't think it's impossible to oppose slavery and still point out that not all slaveowners abused, beat, or killed their slaves.
    Your talking about a manner of degree that really isn't relevant. Were there slaveowners that did NOT beat, abuse, or kill their slaves? I'm sure there were. In the grand scheme around the concept of slavery, does that matter? Not at all.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #135
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    the list of facts is total horse**** BUT it is what it is. There is false info out there all over the place. if people want to believe it so be it, if your kids are exposed to it then its your job as a parent to teach them better.

    now as far as money, vouchers, public, private schools etc

    that part is different.

    In my opinion any general education school thats accredited that gets government money or tax breaks etc should be required to teach a basic set curriculum and those students need to be up to par with state and national testing.


    now other schools if not accredited or are specific or trade or art schools should also be able to get money but that should be a different pot of money, not an education fund.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #136
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I disagree with that.It depends on who the serial killers victims are. If his victims were rapists and other murders then I would think people would consider him a good serial killer.
    No, not at all. It's still being a serial killer. Who are the victims... convicted rapists and murderers? How did he have access to them? Are they still in jail? If so, he has no access. Have they been convicted? If no, then they are being killed without proof. Have they been released for time served? If so, then they have paid for their crime and it's either nothing more than a revenge killing or killing someone for something they have already been punished for. So, no, even your unrealistic example does not apply.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #137
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    By the way... let's remember that in this discussion about slavery, we are discussion morals. Legally, everything the slaveowners did was legitimate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Your talking about a manner of degree that really isn't relevant. Were there slaveowners that did NOT beat, abuse, or kill their slaves? I'm sure there were. In the grand scheme around the concept of slavery, does that matter? Not at all.
    actually, i'm talking about a degree that is entirely relevant to the debate...

    refer to the OP... the article basically says it is false that some slave owners did not beat, abuse , or kill their slaves...some folks pointed out that it is not a false statement.
    ..and were immediately labeled as slavery apologists/supporters by the usual suspects.


    if this debate was over slavery in general.. the grand scheme of things,as it were.. i would agree... it's a rather irrelevant differentiation.

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    actually, i'm talking about a degree that is entirely relevant to the debate...

    refer to the OP... the article basically says it is false that some slave owners did not beat, abuse , or kill their slaves...some folks pointed out that it is not a false statement.
    ..and were immediately labeled as slavery apologists/supporters by the usual suspects.


    if this debate was over slavery in general.. the grand scheme of things,as it were.. i would agree... it's a rather irrelevant differentiation.
    To me, the comments in the OP misrepresent slavery and infer that, in some cases, it wasn't so bad. I don't think making the differentiation between types of slaveowners serves any kind of purpose... or at least not one that I think is helpful. However, seems to me that, in accordance with your last sentence, we are basically in agreement.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: 14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    To me, the comments in the OP misrepresent slavery and infer that, in some cases, it wasn't so bad. I don't think making the differentiation between types of slaveowners serves any kind of purpose... or at least not one that I think is helpful. However, seems to me that, in accordance with your last sentence, we are basically in agreement.
    without any context, i think it's unwise to make that inference.
    i mean, we are talking about a solitary blurb taken from a textbook with absolutely no context.
    ( i think the article did this on purpose, as to encourage the inference.. but that might just be me )

    I highly doubt the textbook casts slavery in a positive light or attempts to minimize it ... yet that is really the only inference that can be drawn from the single factoid being used to represent the textbook.

    as for serving a purpose, i dunno.. i don't know the context of the chapter... it may have been titled " treatment of slaves" with multiple pages addressing the cruel treatment of slaves and this single blurb saying some didn't...who knows?.. we surely can't tell with the Mother Jones article.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •