Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    The owner of an Indian clothing store said Wednesday that he would only change its name from "Hitler" if he was compensated for re-branding costs, amid a growing row over the new shop. The outlet, which sells Western men's wear, opened 10 days ago in Ahmedabad city in the western state of Gujarat with "Hitler" written in big letters over the front and with a Nazi swastika as the dot on the "i". "I will change it (the name) if people want to compensate me for the money we have spent -- the logo, the hoarding, the business cards, the brand," Rajesh Shah told AFP. He put the total costs at about 150,000 rupees ($2,700). Shah insisted that until the store opened he did not know who Adolf Hitler was and that Hitler was a nickname given to the grandfather of his store partner because "he was very strict".

    "I didn't know how much the name would disturb people," he told AFP by telephone from Ahmedabad. "It was only when the store opened I learnt Hitler had killed six million people."
    'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India - Yahoo! News

    ...of course he didn't know.



  2. #2
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    I call total BS that he didn't know.
    Last edited by radcen; 08-29-12 at 09:07 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #3
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,147

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    If he didn't know why is there a swastika?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    He probably did this knowingly in hopes that people would pay him the $2,700.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    You can't possibly have Hitler and a red swastika with a black background and not know what those two mean. There are certain dictatorships you can use for fashion and some you can't. Imperial China, Napoleonic France and even Roman symbols make great fashion items because nobody alive today lived under those times. Even Communist Russia symbols have been incorporated into fashion as ironically as it sounds. Nazi Germany however has a special place though. Nobody seems to want to be associated with it in the fashion world. Sure, certain aesthetics can be taken from it because the Nazis DID have an impact on the fashion world but to outright CLAIM Nazi symbols is unthinkable for most in Western fashion.

    The way I see it, this guy has a red Swastika, Hitler in white and a black background to his business cards. All predominant colors in Nazi attire. This to me shows he did some research for his brand. What? He skipped the whole Holocaust part?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    294

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    If he didn't know why is there a swastika?
    Well to be fair the swastika is a symbol used by the Hindus and other religions and has been around for thousands of years.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Well to be fair the swastika is a symbol used by the Hindus and other religions and has been around for thousands of years.
    Does this mean that religion can change due to negative connotations? Hmmm...
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  8. #8
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,147

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Well to be fair the swastika is a symbol used by the Hindus and other religions and has been around for thousands of years.
    It only just so happens to appear on a store called Hitler?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Well to be fair the swastika is a symbol used by the Hindus and other religions and has been around for thousands of years.
    But iirc when the Hindus used it, wasn't it just a tad different? The symbol was rotated so that the edge of one of those 4 "L" parts was flat on the ground.

  10. #10
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India [W:25]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Well to be fair the swastika is a symbol used by the Hindus and other religions and has been around for thousands of years.
    Yeah, but the Hindu swastika is oriented in the opposite direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •