Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    And even the products I like aren't worth purchasing if it means that disingenuous POS corporation will make a profit off it, IMO.

    I have friends who always counter my "Apple is ethically corrupt" argument with, "But they fix my stuff so well when it breaks!"...as if a nice repair department makes up for slave labor, theft of service, and other abhorrent practices.
    Can one buy anything these days that doesn't fall under slave labor, theft of service, and other abhorrent practices? I'll bet you that daily, you buy and enjoy products that violate your ethics.
    Last edited by Middleground; 09-02-12 at 10:33 AM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    I am surprised Apple won this lawsuit, as patent infringement is one of the hardest cases to prove. How did they manage it?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  3. #23
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I am surprised Apple won this lawsuit, as patent infringement is one of the hardest cases to prove. How did they manage it?
    1. Jury trial.... totally idiotic when it comes to complicated patent cases.
    2. Case heard 10 km from Apple HQ
    3. Judge use to work for the law firm who represented Apple.

    Apple has pretty much lost all cases outside the US when a professional judge and expert in patent law resided over the cases. And even in the few cases where Apple won, the victory was minor and had no real impact on Samsung. Apple got laughed out of the court in Holland and UK when they tried to patent "look" of the iPhone.
    PeteEU

  4. #24
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Google won't file a lawsuit against apple. Here is the thing, Google bought a company called Android that was developing a smartphone os that looked very much like blackberry os. At the time then Google CEO Eric schmidt was on the board of directors. Two of his biggest contributions while there was getting google and apple in sync and at the time they had a "gentlemens agreement" about only making products that complimented each other. Also Apples webkit engine was made open source on the suggestion by Schmidt so besides powering apples safari it powers google chrome and every single android default browser, as well as being the base behind the google chrome os initiatives.

    Anyways, apple saw android before it came out looking like blackberry and Schmidt saw iOS. An interesting thing happened. After iPhone was announced about 8 months later android was revealed, the same month schmidt stepped down from apples board. So yeah, would be interesting to see google sue apple.
    And I will raise you Steve Jobs admitting that he stole ideas and designs from his competitors, plus documentation that the iPhone actually was designed and planed by... Sony Corporation and Apple stole the idea from them.

    Like it or not, the Apple is ruining its own image and hence future profitability by going on with these law suits. More and more people realise that they are nu-seance lawsuits designed to slow down the competition, a competition that has surpassed Apple in technology and innovation. And Apple is one thing... image.. every sale it has is based on image. Loose that, and Apple is nothing but ordinary.
    PeteEU

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Don't be shocked if the next big headline in this saga is that the verdict was reversed on appeal.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And Apple is one thing... image.. every sale it has is based on image. Loose that, and Apple is nothing but ordinary.
    Ordinary product, with an extraordinary price tag.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    the recent litigation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. i like Apple products, though i find them to be unnecessarily expensive. however, there is (and should be) so much shared technology that i'm sure all of the companies could successfully sue each other for something. Apple has its patents, but it does not own the idea of a rectangular smartphone or tablet. i've actually really wanted to try an Iphone, but the company itself and its die hard fans really turn me off.

  8. #28
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Ordinary product, with an extraordinary price tag.
    The price tag is dictated based on the image. Originally the price tag was a symbol of quality, but that has changed over the last few years because of the problems with quality (breaking backs of iPhones, laptops that burn your lap, bad iPad screens, and faulty software galore). Now image is everything for Apple and they are fighting tooth and nail to defend that image... regardless of the facts and truth.

    A good example is the malware scares on the OSX. For a decade, Apple had built an image for its self, that malware and virus is something Apple machines dont have. They used it in their marketing. Now anyone in the industry knows that the reason that Apple OSX did not have malware and virus was because no one used the operating system and computers. But with the help of the iPhone, Macs became popular in certain parts of the world. This meant that Mac OSX came in on the radar of hackers and suddenly OSX became a target. Now everyone in the industry knew that security was never a strong Apple point, and the first malware attacks showed us this and damaged their image. It took them weeks to admit there was a problem... because Macs dont get viruses right? and then more weeks to fix it.. and that was just one attack. And now days, they have removed the "Macs dont get virus's" marketing from their material.. reality hit home it seems.. and they have with the new version gone over to a draconian way of "protecting" their users.. basically making the OS even more pointless and less user friendly when it comes to 3rd party programs.

    Or take a look at the iPhone 4S. When it came out SIRI was the "WOW innovation" part, despite voice recognition being around for years. Fact is.. SIRI sucks and is basically useless other than in a minor gadget way. Even one of the founders of Apple admits this and all tests against rivals show how bad SIRI is. Apple knew this, but still continued to market it as innovation.. because their image dictated that every product they came out with had to be "innovative" and perfect. Problem was the iPhone 4S was a minor upgrade to the iPhone 4, which in turn was an outdated smart phone, but the image pushed sales.

    Or take the iPad 3. Super screen yes, but in reality the resolution is pretty useless in such a small format and considering the heating problems that it created (the new ipad is damn hot to hold in your hand), not to mention the increase in size of apps and movies full HD means.. but not an increase in storage capacity.. simply not worth the upgrade. What is the use of an iPad 3 16 GB if your apps double in space size and you cant even have one full HD movie on the damn thing? But it did not stop Apple from marketing it as innovation and revolutionary. Most human beings cant see any difference in the iPad2 screen and iPad3 screen in day to day use.

    I would say the next iPhone needs to set a new industry standard on many fronts for Apple to maintain the illusion they have built over the years. If it is another iPhone 4s or even iPhone 4.. then Apple could be in serious trouble. Mac sales are falling, iPad sales are flattening out and there is far more credible competition and iPod sales are taking a nose diving. If for example, the new iPhone 5 does NOT have the compatible 3G chip for the China Telecom...... then well, Apple will never be more than a bit player in China. We already know how the new iPhone 5 OS looks like, and it is nothing but more catch up to Windows Phone and Android, with a healthy bit of "borrowing" of idea's... so the technology has to be spectacular... better than the Samsung S3, HTC One and LG L7 and so on.... and that is going to be damn hard.

    But we shall see.. only 2 weeks left or so before we know.
    PeteEU

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The price tag is dictated based on the image. Originally the price tag was a symbol of quality, but that has changed over the last few years because of the problems with quality (breaking backs of iPhones, laptops that burn your lap, bad iPad screens, and faulty software galore). Now image is everything for Apple and they are fighting tooth and nail to defend that image... regardless of the facts and truth.

    A good example is the malware scares on the OSX. For a decade, Apple had built an image for its self, that malware and virus is something Apple machines dont have. They used it in their marketing. Now anyone in the industry knows that the reason that Apple OSX did not have malware and virus was because no one used the operating system and computers. But with the help of the iPhone, Macs became popular in certain parts of the world. This meant that Mac OSX came in on the radar of hackers and suddenly OSX became a target. Now everyone in the industry knew that security was never a strong Apple point, and the first malware attacks showed us this and damaged their image. It took them weeks to admit there was a problem... because Macs dont get viruses right? and then more weeks to fix it.. and that was just one attack. And now days, they have removed the "Macs dont get virus's" marketing from their material.. reality hit home it seems.. and they have with the new version gone over to a draconian way of "protecting" their users.. basically making the OS even more pointless and less user friendly when it comes to 3rd party programs.

    Or take a look at the iPhone 4S. When it came out SIRI was the "WOW innovation" part, despite voice recognition being around for years. Fact is.. SIRI sucks and is basically useless other than in a minor gadget way. Even one of the founders of Apple admits this and all tests against rivals show how bad SIRI is. Apple knew this, but still continued to market it as innovation.. because their image dictated that every product they came out with had to be "innovative" and perfect. Problem was the iPhone 4S was a minor upgrade to the iPhone 4, which in turn was an outdated smart phone, but the image pushed sales.

    Or take the iPad 3. Super screen yes, but in reality the resolution is pretty useless in such a small format and considering the heating problems that it created (the new ipad is damn hot to hold in your hand), not to mention the increase in size of apps and movies full HD means.. but not an increase in storage capacity.. simply not worth the upgrade. What is the use of an iPad 3 16 GB if your apps double in space size and you cant even have one full HD movie on the damn thing? But it did not stop Apple from marketing it as innovation and revolutionary. Most human beings cant see any difference in the iPad2 screen and iPad3 screen in day to day use.

    I would say the next iPhone needs to set a new industry standard on many fronts for Apple to maintain the illusion they have built over the years. If it is another iPhone 4s or even iPhone 4.. then Apple could be in serious trouble. Mac sales are falling, iPad sales are flattening out and there is far more credible competition and iPod sales are taking a nose diving. If for example, the new iPhone 5 does NOT have the compatible 3G chip for the China Telecom...... then well, Apple will never be more than a bit player in China. We already know how the new iPhone 5 OS looks like, and it is nothing but more catch up to Windows Phone and Android, with a healthy bit of "borrowing" of idea's... so the technology has to be spectacular... better than the Samsung S3, HTC One and LG L7 and so on.... and that is going to be damn hard.

    But we shall see.. only 2 weeks left or so before we know.
    It always amazed me that hackers didn't attack Apple sooner. The "prestige" of shooting them down would have been appealing within the hacker community, or so I thought.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Google Has Had Enough: Files Lawsuit To Ban Multiple Apple Products

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It always amazed me that hackers didn't attack Apple sooner. The "prestige" of shooting them down would have been appealing within the hacker community, or so I thought.
    Well.... first of all hackers are motivated by money. 90+% of the world market is on Windows PCs. Apple has a very small %. Simply not worth the effort.

    Secondly and maybe more importantly.. OSX is based on an open source OS, a close cousin to Linux, the hackers preferred OS. It would be like eating your own or committing incest if they went after OSX. Of course at some point the money aspect becomes a much bigger urge and that point has been reached.

    The only reason Apple iOS has not been officially hit hard by malware and spyware is the dictatorial aspect of Apple. They simply screen everything and only allow what they think is good for the consumer.. this of course means no boobies or bad words, which pisses off many non-Americans. But that does not prevent malware and spyware 100%.. because root your phone, which many iPhone users do, and well. Plus at one point.. iOS it self was malware, when it allowed in app purchasing without conformation,... which meant parents suddenly got massive bills from Apple because their small gems has been buying "small gems" in games on their iPhone/iPad. Apple knew fully well that this was going on, and it was not before a law suit was being prepared in the US, that Apple "patched" the OS. This aspect is now what is going to be implemented in their OSX system, and frankly it is even more draconian.. sure you will be "more secure" on paper, but in reality the biggest security risk is 20 inches from the screen.

    Now you see I said.. officially. Often we dont get much information about malware and spyware attacks on OSX because Apple has great marketing department and friendly media coverage. OSX has been the first to be hacked for years in the yearly "hackathon" events, way ahead of linux and Windows, but when the guy who hacked it the fastest started pointing out the flaws, then Apple totally cut him off from their developing community instead of inviting him in to fix the problems.

    The biggest problem with Mac is not that it is unsecure.. that is to be expected, but that the Mac users are totally unprepared for malware and viruses because they have lived in this false security atmosphere that Apple has generated and moulded over the last 20 years. At least with Windows PCs you know you have to protect yourself, and users accept this.

    Basically the more popular a technology product is, the more interested hackers will be.
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •