Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Attn1 The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Looks like Mr Romney financial files have just been hacked

    The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Mitt Romney's $250 million fortune is largely a black hole: Aside from the meager and vague disclosures he has filed under federal and Massachusetts laws, and the two years of partial tax returns (one filed and another provisional) he has released, there is almost no data on precisely what his vast holdings consist of, or what vehicles he has used to escape taxes on his income. Gawker has obtained a massive cache of confidential financial documents that shed a great deal of light on those finances, and on the tax-dodging tricks available to the hyper-rich that he has used to keep his effective tax rate at roughly 13% over the last decade.
    Link to the documents


    More from The Hill
    Early findings from the documents yielded a report reinforcing previously reported evidence that Romney was still associated with Bain Capital after he retired from in 1999, according to Gawker. Documents in the cache also show that a fund in blind trust in which Romney had invested gave a casino owned by Sheldon Adelson, a major donor to Republicans, $3 million.

    Audit files in the document dump also show that Romney has kept a number of offshore accounts through a Swiss bank and a Bermuda shell corporation. Through those accounts, Romney was not "subject to United States federal income or withholding tax on its income from United States sources," according to a 2009 audited financial statement on Bain Capital Fund VIII LP included in the document dump.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    I hope charges are pending for whomever violated the law by distributing those documents.

    Financial Records
    The Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act, also known as the Financial Modernization Act of 1999, has provisions to protect the consumers' personal financial information held by financial institutions, including those companies that receive customer information from financial institutions. The act requires specific physical safeguards, such as shredding, be in place, to protect this personal information.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #3
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    So, the hit job is in full swing...complete with disinterested phrases like "escape taxes on his income", "tax-dodging tricks available to the hyper-rich" and my favorite..."the exotic tax-avoidance schemes".

    yawn...

    Wake me when you find something illegal, eh?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #4
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Is the IRS failing to carry out their duties? Does the IRS have any charges against Romney for false reporting?

    Dirty politicis as expected.

  5. #5
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Why anyone gets worked up over a blind trust is beyond me. It's a blind trust. Romney has NO IDEA what's in. Blind trusts need to be dropped from all political discussion.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #6
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    So, the hit job is in full swing...complete with disinterested phrases like "escape taxes on his income", "tax-dodging tricks available to the hyper-rich" and my favorite..."the exotic tax-avoidance schemes".

    yawn...

    Wake me when you find something illegal, eh?
    Can you explain anything in those links at all?

    I thought not.

    Granted, they don't provide the necessary information to actually tell if Romney did anything illegal, but your demonstrated grasp of tax is on par with Conservative's understanding of economic history. Neither of you two should be discussing either topic.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Can you explain anything in those links at all?

    I thought not.

    Granted, they don't provide the necessary information to actually tell if Romney did anything illegal, but your demonstrated grasp of tax is on par with Conservative's understanding of economic history. Neither of you two should be discussing either topic.
    Dude...you just disturbed my nap. I hope you're happy.

    Now..if you'll excuse me, I need my beauty sleep.

    Wake me if you find something illegal.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #8
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Dude...you just disturbed my nap. I hope you're happy.

    Now..if you'll excuse me, I need my beauty sleep.

    Wake me if you find something illegal.
    Huh.

    I said: "Can you explain anything in those links at all?

    I thought not. "

    What's with partisans and doing exactly as I predict? I predict that you have no grasp of the topic and then you go and prove it!

    It's like I'm giving the deer the gun to shoot themselves with.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Huh.

    I said: "Can you explain anything in those links at all?

    I thought not. "

    What's with partisans and doing exactly as I predict? I predict that you have no grasp of the topic and then you go and prove it!

    It's like I'm giving the deer the gun to shoot themselves with.
    I'm not interested in the links...unless they reveal something illegal. And I know there are plenty of crazy taxers like you out there going over them with a fine toothed comb. Well, maybe not like you...you obviously haven't been going over them or you'd be spouting off with whatever dirt you could find in them. You've been silent except for your skipping.

    Thanks, but I'll wait till y'all are done and see if you find anything illegal.

    Good night.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #10
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm not interested in the links...unless they reveal something illegal. And I know there are plenty of crazy taxers like you out there going over them with a fine toothed comb. Well, maybe not like you...you obviously haven't been going over them or you'd be spouting off with whatever dirt you could find in them. You've been silent except for your skipping.

    Thanks, but I'll wait till y'all are done and see if you find anything illegal.


    Good night.

    ROFL the kettle calling the kettle black...what a treat it is to read some of these posts on dpf...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •