Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

  1. #41
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    How many people do you know that freely bet $10,000?

    And I'm not the one arguing it's normal for a campaign to help their opponents spread dirty rumors. You are.

    And you saying I'm all style. Insane.
    I AM saying you are all style and no substance and it doesn't make me insane. Your own words...your own lack of desire to speak to the substance of an event...proves my assessment.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #42
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I AM saying you are all style and no substance and it doesn't make me insane. Your own words...your own lack of desire to speak to the substance of an event...proves my assessment.
    I'm all style? I guess that's what you call people who use logic and critical thinking.

    Again, how many people do you know that freely bet $10,000?

    Furthermore, why are you constantly avoiding answering that?

    Romney could murder a child on live TV and you'd make excuses for him at this point.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #43
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'm all style? I guess that's what you call people who use logic and critical thinking.

    Again, how many people do you know that freely bet $10,000?

    Furthermore, why are you constantly avoiding answering that?

    Romney could murder a child on live TV and you'd make excuses for him at this point.
    Now you are starting to repeat yourself.

    Try addressing the actual facts of the bet instead of illuminating the amount of the bet and trying to make a big deal about it...or worse, trying to make some connection to your contention that he is bragging.

    That's what I mean by "style over substance". You have no substance.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #44
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Now you are starting to repeat yourself.

    Try addressing the actual facts of the bet instead of illuminating the amount of the bet and trying to make a big deal about it...or worse, trying to make some connection to your contention that he is bragging.

    That's what I mean by "style over substance". You have no substance.
    Look. You claimed Romney doesn't brag.

    Except that he did just that by betting Perry $10,000.

    How the hell do you know has the means or the audacity to throw out a bet like that on live TV?

    You simply ignore whatever you do not like because it challenges your framework. And you are unable to examine your own framework.

    What the bet was about is irrelevant. The fact that he was willing to do so on live TV on a fricken' bet is bragging.


    Again, how many people do you know that freely bet $10,000?

    Furthermore, why are you constantly avoiding answering that?


    You claim I'm all style, but it is you who is always dancing around the hard points, being dishonest and accusing others of crap you know you can't prove.

    You were the one arguing that it is NORMAL for a campaign to help its opponents spread dirty rumors. And you say I'm no substance? Insane.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #45
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Look. You claimed Romney doesn't brag.

    Except that he did just that by betting Perry $10,000.

    How the hell do you know has the means or the audacity to throw out a bet like that on live TV?

    You simply ignore whatever you do not like because it challenges your framework. And you are unable to examine your own framework.

    What the bet was about is irrelevant. The fact that he was willing to do so on live TV on a fricken' bet is bragging.


    Again, how many people do you know that freely bet $10,000?

    Furthermore, why are you constantly avoiding answering that?


    You claim I'm all style, but it is you who is always dancing around the hard points, being dishonest and accusing others of crap you know you can't prove.

    You were the one arguing that it is NORMAL for a campaign to help its opponents spread dirty rumors. And you say I'm no substance? Insane.
    LOL!!!

    After all that, you still don't get it. And you still only repeat yourself.

    Look. Why do people bet? Because they want to brag about how much money they have? LOL!! No. Because they believe they are right and they are willing to put money where their mouth is. But you don't care about what Romney believes...you don't care about the substance. You are..."ZOMG!! Did you see how much MONEY he bet??!! He must be bragging!!." You are all about style.

    Style over substance. That's you and that is typical of liberals.

    You are right. I ignore that which detracts from what's important. I ignore the style that liberals love to talk about. I prefer to stick to the substance. The substance...the meat of the matter..."the hard points".
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #46
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Looks like Mr Romney financial files have just been hacked



    Link to the documents


    More from The Hill
    He could have put all of this to rest, but chose not to. Speculation can be a driving force when there is a lack of details.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    He could have put all of this to rest, but chose not to. Speculation can be a driving force when there is a lack of details.
    This has all been discussed ad naseum...but I would just point out that speculation is a minor issue compared to the field day the liberals would have if they had actual data they could spin.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #48
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    This has all been discussed ad naseum...but I would just point out that speculation is a minor issue compared to the field day the liberals would have if they had actual data they could spin.

    When attempting a defence of one's preferred candidate, one should try to stay abreast of the news

    Equity Swaps, AIVs, and Mitt Romney’s Other Tax-Dodging Tricks

    A perhaps less well-known, and sketchier, method for avoiding taxes is something called an equity swap, and several of Romney's funds make use of the trick, according to the documents. Simply put, equity swaps are agreements to exchange the gain or loss on a particular set of assets without actually transferring ownership. ... The New York Times reported in 2010 that the IRS is scrutinizing equity swaps as a tax avoidance scheme, because the agency "suspects that the banks are disguising who owns stock[s] in order to help their offshore hedge fund clients avoid the withholding tax — a tax the banks are supposed to collect."
    (...)
    The documents are also chock full of in AIVs, or alternative investment vehicles—holding corporations specifically established to help specific partners avoid taxes (or other legal issues) on specific investments.
    Then there's this article at Business Insider, Romney and Private Equity's Questionable Schemes for Paying Very Little Tax

    Followed by this one, from the reliably 'librul' Forbes magazine. Bain Capital Under Investigation For Tax Avoidance-Romney Denies Any Benefit. That last bit - Romney Denies Any Benefit would appear to be contradicted by the rather extended 'retirement' plan under which Mitt has received income from various Bain entities as described in an article at the Fortune/CNN site. The article by Dan Primack is an attempted explanation of why Romney's signature is found on various SEC filings, years after his supposed 'retirement'. When Did Romney really leave Bain?

    On first read, Corn's (Mother Jones) argument seems compelling. But, upon reflection, it's little more than conjecture that uses old regulatory filings as authoritative-sounding smokescreens. To be clear, I'm not questioning the documents' veracity. Or their existence (since I also looked them up on my own). Instead, I'm questioning Corn's conclusion.
    The key part, for those of us who dislike Mr Romney, is this
    Not surprisingly, Bain Capital hadn't worked out all the details of Romney's departure. It eventually would discard the CEO position in favor of a horizontal management committee made of of numerous partners, and provide Romney with a golden parachute that included limited partnership interests in all Bain-related funds raised through 2009 (including the option for Romney to invest additional monies)
    So if it can be shown that said "Bain-related funds" did benefit from tax-avoidance schemes, as does seem to be the case, it can be concluded that Mitt also benefited from those same tax-avoidance schemes.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #49
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    When attempting a defence of one's preferred candidate, one should try to stay abreast of the news



    Then there's this article at Business Insider, Romney and Private Equity's Questionable Schemes for Paying Very Little Tax

    Followed by this one, from the reliably 'librul' Forbes magazine. Bain Capital Under Investigation For Tax Avoidance-Romney Denies Any Benefit. That last bit - Romney Denies Any Benefit would appear to be contradicted by the rather extended 'retirement' plan under which Mitt has received income from various Bain entities as described in an article at the Fortune/CNN site. The article by Dan Primack is an attempted explanation of why Romney's signature is found on various SEC filings, years after his supposed 'retirement'. When Did Romney really leave Bain?



    The key part, for those of us who dislike Mr Romney, is this


    So if it can be shown that said "Bain-related funds" did benefit from tax-avoidance schemes, as does seem to be the case, it can be concluded that Mitt also benefited from those same tax-avoidance schemes.
    Blah, blah, blah...

    Wake me when he's been found guilty of a crime, eh?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #50
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    Re: The Bain Files: Inside Mitt Romney’s Tax-Dodging Cayman Schemes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Blah, blah, blah...

    Wake me when he's been found guilty of a crime, eh?


    OR, in other words


    What you post may be true but I would rather not contemplate the possibility while I enjoy my Galtian dreams that the "Kenyan, Marxist" will be defeated by the anti-women duo of prevaricating, plastic male (white) robots.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •