Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 286

Thread: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy[W:137]

  1. #101
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    thanks for confirming your hypocrisy. ignorant rhetoric is still ignorance. the fact that you defend it is, indeed, interesting
    What did I defend? Nothing that I can see. I pointed out that there is a difference between rhetoric and ignorance, not that one is better than the other. Building that straw man is not going to work for you Oscar.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #102
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    90% of the population are morons. What is surprising is that this guy has managed to rise to relatively high political office being one.
    In that area of MO all you need is an (R) after your name to win. It doesn't matter who or what you are. If you can pass muster to get the R behind your name you're good to go, and that doesn't take anything but the ability to parrot the Party Line.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #103
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What did I defend? Nothing that I can see. I pointed out that there is a difference between rhetoric and ignorance, not that one is better than the other. Building that straw man is not going to work for you Oscar.
    whatever you have to tell yourself chief
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #104
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    In that area of MO all you need is an (R) after your name to win. It doesn't matter who or what you are. If you can pass muster to get the R behind your name you're good to go, and that doesn't take anything but the ability to parrot the Party Line.
    kind of like how charlie rangel keeps getting elected?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #105
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    whatever you have to tell yourself chief
    Facts. They are good. I don't have to make them up to make a point.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #106
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    kind of like how charlie rangel keeps getting elected?
    I don't know NY well enough to judge - do you? But I do know that part of Missouri.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #107
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Romney calls Akin

    Mitt Romney called Rep. Todd Akin's suggestion that "legitimate rape" cannot make a woman pregnant "offensive" and "inexcusable."

    In an interview with National Review's Robert Costa, the presumptive Republican nominee joined a growing number of GOP officials calling on the congressman to "correct" his statement.


    "Congressman's Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable and, frankly, wrong," Romney said. "Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive."
    Credit to Romney for doing the right thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Lurker View Post

    What the person meant was an actual rape versus a claimed rape.
    How do you purpose getting statistics on women 'claiming' rape to get a legal abortion?

    And if the girl is below the age of consent -- it was statutory rape.

  9. #109
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    This, of course, is not the only dumbass thing he's said

    Todd Akinís Bachmann-esque problem

    Akin has a knack for making news when he speaks, because he unapologetically expresses very conservative views on issues that most politicians wonít touch with a 10-foot poll (wanting to re-litigate civil rights laws, comparing federal student loans to stage 3 cancer and opposing federal funding for school lunches Ė and thatís just in the past few days).
    If you follow my link, there are links to those other things. It just doesn't follow in the quote.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #110
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I understand and it's intuitive to me, that if a woman is under stress, she is less likely to get pregnant, but your links don't directly address rape as a trigger.

    If you have unprotected sex you have 5% chance of getting pregnant and that is the same rate of pregnancy from rape.
    I've seen estimates as high at 17% and as low as 3%, in terms of chances of pregnancy from rape. I admit there is a lot of unsettled work to be done in this field, partly because rape survivors don't tend to want to be interviewed.

    I won't deny that your links are in good faith and may very well have good methodology. However, studies in good faith and good methodology have considerable discrepancies. This stuff is hard to track. In order for us to be better able to analyze this, we would need studies published at the same time from the same place, comparing unstressed women, with women under various kinds of stressors, including rape.

    Also, the stress factor continues to have an affect even after pregnancy is established. How many of these women would miscarry? This particular study doesn't say. Rape can be said to be a trigger because it is an extreme stressor.

    Another reason I challenge this is the congressman's assertion: "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

    He seems to be implying if it's not a "legitimate" rape, then pregnancy will result, thus calling the question as to whether the woman who gets pregnant was actually raped.
    This is true, and something that deserves attention. I was sticking to his dodging of the question he was asked.

    Certainly "rape blaming" or even rape denial is at least as sick as denying women who are raped access to abortion. But I try my best not to be side-lined when someone is intentionally trying to side-line me. Or perhaps my mind just can't handle that must depravity at once. A bit of this, a bit of that...

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •