Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 196

Thread: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

  1. #41
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's not true. Hate crimes have broader potential societal consequences than regular crimes which is why they are distinguished.
    only in the fantasy world inhabited by liberals. murder is murder, what the criminal was thinking at the time makes absolutely no difference.

    BTW, you cannot legislate thought, you cannot control what people think. I would like to make all liberal thought illegal, but unfortunately thats not going to happen
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  2. #42
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Redress is right about 1st and 2nd degree being more a matter of method than motivation. But obviously the difference between murder and manslaughter is necessary.
    It may not be based on motivation but it is based on intent which means it takes into account an individuals thought process.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #43
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So there should be no difference between manslaughter, 1st Degree or 2nd Degree then?
    your question has nothing to do with hate crime legislation
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  4. #44
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    It may not be based on motivation but it is based on intent which means it takes into account an individuals thought process.
    so in your mind its worse if you kill someone because you don't like their looks than if you kill them to steal their money? is that what you are saying?
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  5. #45
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    only in the fantasy world inhabited by liberals. murder is murder, what the criminal was thinking at the time makes absolutely no difference.

    BTW, you cannot legislate thought, you cannot control what people think. I would like to make all liberal thought illegal, but unfortunately thats not going to happen
    Then explain manslaughter and RICO. Hate crimes are organized crimes. They are perpetrated by both a parenting organization and an individual. The individual who takes action on account of the hate-group is held accountable for the terrorism that he or she is, in fact, committing.

  6. #46
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    your question has nothing to do with hate crime legislation
    It does...the differences between the different types of murder are based on someone's thought process.

    Did someone go out to try and murder you? Did they try to harm you yet you ended up dead? Were they just negligent and you ended up dead?

    The difference between all three is just the state of mind of an individual when comitting an act. I don't see how "did they kill you because they hated your race" isn't similar.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #47
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    so in your mind its worse if you kill someone because you don't like their looks than if you kill them to steal their money? is that what you are saying?
    You, also, obviously have NO IDEA what hate crime law is in the US. No wonder you agreed with Redress.

  8. #48
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You, also, obviously have NO IDEA what hate crime law is in the US. No wonder you agreed with Redress.
    Oh, but I do. Under hate crime legislation the penalty for murdering someone because you hate their race is worse than murdering someone to steal their wallet. The victim is equally dead and the criminal is equally guilty, but in one case you want a more severe punishment because of what he was thinking at the time.
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  9. #49
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    so in your mind its worse if you kill someone because you don't like their looks than if you kill them to steal their money? is that what you are saying?
    I don't think one is worse than another....but I think one has implications the other doesn't. Our law isn't really broken down by A is worse than B therefore A is punished harsher. Which is worse crack or cocaine? Yet sentenceing for crack was longer (not sure if there is still a difference). Which is worse, robbing a bank or committing white collar fraud for much more than a bank heist would ever bring in.....yet who typically gets the longer penalties?
    Last edited by iliveonramen; 08-17-12 at 04:28 PM.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #50
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Oh, but I do. Under hate crime legislation the penalty for murdering someone because you hate their race is worse than murdering someone to steal their wallet. The victim is equally dead and the criminal is equally guilty, but in one case you want a more severe punishment because of what he was thinking at the time.
    Incorrect. I could run down the street screaming "I hate black people" while shooting only black people, and avoiding whites, and that is NOT convictable as a hate crime.

    When you figure out why, you'll understand the rest.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-17-12 at 04:28 PM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •