Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 196

Thread: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

  1. #31
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you do not think he should be prosecuted for domestic terrorism?
    Hate crimes (as per actual US legal definition, not the average person's guess as to what that means) are terrorism.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It could be a hate crime although I find it funny that a hate group is bitching about that.
    You say that as if "hate" is a one-way street.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Define "hate".

    As it applies to motivation behind a crime.

    (General comment, for everybody)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Kinda irrelevant to anything said. You where wrong, just admit it.
    It's relevant. Throwing out motivation throws out the existence of manslaughter.

    Has nothiong to do with my reason for opposing hate crime laws. For the record, the reason I oppose them is they set up protected classes in terms of certain crimes. Not needed, not helpful.
    You're wrong. There have been hate crime convictions for crimes again white males. There is no "protected class". It's very simple:

    1. A person has official hate-group membership and/or propaganda of a hate group (which targets the victim's race/gender in the case).
    2. The person committed the crime for the purpose of terrorizing the target group.

    Without 1., above, there is no hate crime, regardless of 2.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-17-12 at 04:08 PM.

  5. #35
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The whole hate crime designation is complete BS. Murder is murder, it doesn't matter why you murder someone they are just as dead.
    So there should be no difference between manslaughter, 1st Degree or 2nd Degree then?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #36
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So there should be no difference between manslaughter, 1st Degree or 2nd Degree then?
    Redress is right about 1st and 2nd degree being more a matter of method than motivation. But obviously the difference between murder and manslaughter is necessary.

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hate crimes (as per actual US legal definition, not the average person's guess as to what that means) are terrorism.
    That would be wrong again. 18 USC § 2331 - Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

    (5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
    (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
    (B) appear to be intended—
    (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping
    Significantly different from the law on hate crimes.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Don't make the mistake of confusing motivation with intent. Separations between 1st degree, 2nd degree, manslaughter, etc., generally have to do with intent and/or pre-meditation (forethought and planning).

    There are probably a few things that could be tightened up a bit, but overall there should be a distinction in intent.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's relevant. Throwing out motivation throws out the existence of manslaughter.
    Motivation can be part of a determination of voluntary manslaughter vs second degree murder, however it is not the primary method to determine which a murder is.

    You're wrong. There have been hate crime convictions for crimes again white males. There is no "protected class". It's very simple:

    1. A person has official hate-group membership and/or propaganda of a hate group (which targets the victim's race/gender in the case).
    2. The person committed the crime for the purpose of terrorizing the target group.

    Without 1., above, there is no hate crime, regardless of 2.
    White is a race. Race is protected under hate crime laws.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That would be wrong again. 18 USC § 2331 - Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute Significantly different from the law on hate crimes.
    You need to read the law on hate crimes in the US, because you ain't got a clue what it refers to. You think it creates "protected classes". This demonstrates a deep misunderstanding of the law in question.

    Hate crimes are a form of terrorism. Understanding hate crime law makes this plainly clear.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-17-12 at 04:17 PM.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •