Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 196

Thread: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Cmakaioz, I have a question for you. Do you think white people or Christians can be victims of hate crimes?

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Cmakaioz, I have a question for you. Do you think white people or Christians can be victims of hate crimes?
    Sure, look at the civil war where there was Plenty of hate for everybody; including the long, the short, and the tall Everbody hates something. Hate has no boundries.
    Last edited by LiberalAvenger; 08-18-12 at 01:40 PM.

  3. #163
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what you said., You said legislation should not be made based on what "might or could" happen. Drunk driving laws are based on what might or could happen when some one drives drunk.
    But they're still applied equally. There is no special category for happy drunks vs a-hole drunks. Drunk is drunk.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, they have committed a crime and shown that they are dangerous, but they are being punished for the crime. Sentencing is when they decide the length of time the person will do because of the level of their crime. If you were right, there would be no such thing as parole because any person released could be a potential danger to the community. There is no way to know for sure. Nobody is punished because of what they MIGHT do. They are punished because they have committed a crime.
    You don't understand the justice system. The justice system is, in part, founded on the notion that society needs to be protected from what criminals might or could do.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,704

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Cmakaioz, I have a question for you. Do you think white people or Christians can be victims of hate crimes?
    You asked Cmakaioz, but I'll answer this too: No. A majority-power group cannot be the target of a hate crime, because by definition, a hate crime targets an oppressed group, NOT an individual. Otherwise, it is a crime against an individual only and should be prosecuted as such.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #166
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You asked Cmakaioz, but I'll answer this too: No. A majority-power group cannot be the target of a hate crime, because by definition, a hate crime targets an oppressed group, NOT an individual. Otherwise, it is a crime against an individual only and should be prosecuted as such.
    That's simply politically correct absurdity.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,704

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's simply politically correct absurdity.
    It'd be interesting to see if you would say this if you were gay, or black, or nonchristian, etc.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #168
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's simply politically correct absurdity.
    Sure, if there's a group that specifically targets whites or Christians, then I would label it a hate group.

  9. #169
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You asked Cmakaioz, but I'll answer this too: No. A majority-power group cannot be the target of a hate crime, because by definition, a hate crime targets an oppressed group, NOT an individual. Otherwise, it is a crime against an individual only and should be prosecuted as such.
    Yes whites can be targets of "hate crimes". For example, "A black jail inmate has been booked with a hate crime after allegedly saying he would squirt human waste on every white inmate in his cellblock, and then doing so. All seven white inmates — but none of the three African-American inmates in the dorm with them — were squirted with urine and feces from a shampoo bottle, said Maj. Malcolm Wolfe of the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office."

    Black inmate accused of hate crime against whites - SFGate

  10. #170
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is the Family Research Council shooting a hate crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    There is a difference between "crimes are motivated by either hate or greed" which, according to your inference, are crimes regarding society in general and crimes against groups motivated by hatred of their religion, sex, race etc etc. A thought can never be punished, but an act which manifests that thought and results in a crime should be punished in that special classification of "Hate Crime". The whole idea a "thought" is punishable as a crime is an obfuscation of what a hate crime is.
    If a crime carries a heavier punishment than it otherwise would, because it is presumed to have been motivated by a thought that, in itself wouldn't have been a crime, then this does indeed have the effect of criminalizing the thought.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •