Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

  1. #51
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    mid-illinois
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    i read this today: Unmanned Submarine-Hunter Contract Awarded

    perhaps the subtle scare tactics worked!

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by John.NoseTip View Post
    Maybe I'm too skeptical but I tend to think these kinds of stories are fear mongering to keep or increase funding as a previous poster stated. Moreover, Russia is standing in the way of western aggressions in the middle east so this story really helps the political dialogue. Even if the story is true Yes military funding should be cut and cut dramatically at least 40% while we're at it abolish the CIA and Homeland Security. If you want safety quit dropping bombs on other countries and meddling in their affairs that will buy you more security than a 100 battleships.
    Hey, Im as liberal as it gets... but even I think this is pretty ridiculous.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    I remember when they used to do this kind of thing all the time. It was sort of a cat and mouse game in the Cold War when they were testing our defenses and practicing attack runs on the United States.
    Indeed. I'd like to know how many times in the past this happened.

    I got a feeling this is a regular occurrence.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #54
    Student John.NoseTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    287

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Hey, Im as liberal as it gets... but even I think this is pretty ridiculous.
    Well most think like you do but I find things like the item below ridiculous






    Homeland security is great if you want to fund an organization to trample all over civil liberties but they do jack sh** for security. My goodness the underwear bomber's father notified the embassy his son was up to something and we still let him on a plane.

  5. #55
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    I am not anything like an authority on submarines, but AFIK, the Akula class (NATO designation) submarines do not carry nuclear long range nuclear missiles. The four 533mm torpedo tubes are capable of firing non-nuclear tipped Starfish (NATO name) as an anti-submarine weapon, which have a range of 28 miles. The Starfish can carry a small nuclear warhead, but it is not normally deployed as such in the Akula. The 3 SA-N-10 missiles it carries are an anti-air weapon with a range of approximately 4 miles.

    The Akula is an attack submarine, not an SSBN or long range missile platform such as the Typhoon (NATO designation). The report (as are most employed in blogs) was hysterical.

    Armament:

    4 533mm torpedo tubes (28 torpedoes) and 4 650mm torpedo tubes (12 torpedoes) (K-152 Nerpa has 8 533mm torpedo tubes) 40 torpedoes total
    13 SA-N-10 Igla-M Surface-to-air missile launcher fired from sail (surface use only)
    Akula class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  6. #56
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I am not anything like an authority on submarines, but AFIK, the Akula class (NATO designation) submarines do not carry nuclear long range nuclear missiles. The four 533mm torpedo tubes are capable of firing non-nuclear tipped Starfish (NATO name) as an anti-submarine weapon, which have a range of 28 miles. The Starfish can carry a small nuclear warhead, but it is not normally deployed as such in the Akula. The 3 SA-N-10 missiles it carries are an anti-air weapon with a range of approximately 4 miles.

    The Akula is an attack submarine, not an SSBN or long range missile platform such as the Typhoon (NATO designation). The report (as are most employed in blogs) was hysterical.

    Akula class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Exactly. A lot of attack subs can fire cruise missiles out of their torpedo tubes. But to carry a nuclear-tipped cruise missile? That would be highly unusual.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  7. #57
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Indeed. I'd like to know how many times in the past this happened.

    I got a feeling this is a regular occurrence.
    Before the USSR fell apart, I know frequently Soviet bombers tested our defenses and did practice runs toward the United States, and flew off our east coast on their way to and from places, and additionally up near Alaska they flew around up there messing with us too. Our surveillance aircraft and fighter aircraft were scrambled to go intercept and watch them on many occasions. I am sure the same thing happened with their submarines seeing how close they could get.

  8. #58
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Before the USSR fell apart, I know frequently Soviet bombers tested our defenses and did practice runs toward the United States, and flew off our east coast on their way to and from places, and additionally up near Alaska they flew around up there messing with us too. Our surveillance aircraft and fighter aircraft were scrambled to go intercept and watch them on many occasions. I am sure the same thing happened with their submarines seeing how close they could get.
    what they would do is come within a certain distance then cruise in circles and wait...to see if we would launch sub hunter type aircraft. If we didn't, they would come in a little closer and wait again, thinking that once we did launch aircraft it was immediately after detecting them, thus they would know the sensitvity and/or range of the SOSUS system.
    We ain't that stupid....we would passively monitor them and purposely NOT send aircraft until they were very close, if at all.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #59
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    what they would do is come within a certain distance then cruise in circles and wait...to see if we would launch sub hunter type aircraft. If we didn't, they would come in a little closer and wait again, thinking that once we did launch aircraft it was immediately after detecting them, thus they would know the sensitvity and/or range of the SOSUS system.
    We ain't that stupid....we would passively monitor them and purposely NOT send aircraft until they were very close, if at all.
    We liked screwing with em. Ahh the good old days.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •