Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

  1. #11
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What if it turns out to be true? What if Russia decides to invade?
    Russia does not have the capability to invade the US right now. It can not controle Chechnya, a district with a population of around 1 million. It used perhaps 50% of its army's assets to take on Georgia. Russia could not invade the US right now,
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. official

    A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.

    It is only the second time since 2009 that a Russian attack submarine has patrolled so close to U.S. shores.

    The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow.

    The submarine patrol also exposed what U.S. officials said were deficiencies in U.S. anti-submarine warfare capabilities—forces that are facing cuts under the Obama administration’s plan to reduce defense spending by $487 billion over the next 10 years.

    The Navy is in charge of detecting submarines, especially those that sail near U.S. nuclear missile submarines, and uses undersea sensors and satellites to locate and track them.

    The fact that the Akula was not detected in the Gulf is cause for concern, U.S. officials said.

    The officials who are familiar with reports of the submarine patrol in the Gulf of Mexico said the vessel was a nuclear-powered Akula-class attack submarine, one of Russia’s quietest submarines.

    A Navy spokeswoman declined to comment.
    http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/

  3. #13
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    The service due for financial cutbacks suddenly tells us that it failed to notice when it should have that a foreign submarine sailed nearby in international waters. What a coincidence.
    How can you tell where a sub has been, long after it's gone? Taste? Smell?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    1) I'm sure the US submarines NEVER go secretly into places they shouldn't.

    2) Did you see where a jet skier was able to walk across the runway at JFK airport and avoid all kinds of security and surveillance stuff? Not because he wanted to, he was just trying to not drown in the Hudson River. He swam towards the lights.

    3) We got serious issues with "security" in this country. It shouldn't be a surprise.

    4) Why is this a concern?

  5. #15
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. official

    It looks like The government is not doing its job adequately.

    http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/
    A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.
    It is only the second time since 2009 that a Russian attack submarine has patrolled so close to U.S. shores.
    The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow.
    The submarine patrol also exposed what U.S. officials said were deficiencies in U.S. anti-submarine warfare capabilities—forces that are facing cuts under the Obama administration’s plan to reduce defense spending by $487 billion over the next 10 years.
    The Navy is in charge of detecting submarines, especially those that sail near U.S. nuclear missile submarines, and uses undersea sensors and satellites to locate and track them.
    The fact that the Akula was not detected in the Gulf is cause for concern, U.S. officials said.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #16
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,824

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It looks like The government is not doing its job adequately.

    http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/
    A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.
    It is only the second time since 2009 that a Russian attack submarine has patrolled so close to U.S. shores.
    The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow.
    The submarine patrol also exposed what U.S. officials said were deficiencies in U.S. anti-submarine warfare capabilities—forces that are facing cuts under the Obama administration’s plan to reduce defense spending by $487 billion over the next 10 years.
    The Navy is in charge of detecting submarines, especially those that sail near U.S. nuclear missile submarines, and uses undersea sensors and satellites to locate and track them.
    The fact that the Akula was not detected in the Gulf is cause for concern, U.S. officials said.
    This may or may not be true. The "Free Beacon" is a project of the conservative Center for American Freedom, a 501(c)(4) organization that is not required to disclose its donors. There were rumours that it was a Koch brothers setup but that is just speculation at this time.

    It could also be the beginning of the propaganda campaign against the sequestration of funding that is due to roll into effect in January 2013.

    If the Russian sub was not detected in the Gulf, how do we know it was there? Then there is the not so small fact that most of the Gulf of Mexico is considered international waters, as long as the sub did not come within 12 miles of the coast it was free to operate there. We used to run into Russian 'fishing' vessels all up and down the East Coast while sailing. Sail boats are sneaky devils while sailing - I once had a Polaris sub back down so I could cross his bow about 20 miles south of Block Island.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It looks like The government is not doing its job adequately.

    http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/
    A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks and its travel in strategic U.S. waters was only confirmed after it left the region, the Washington Free Beacon has learned.
    It is only the second time since 2009 that a Russian attack submarine has patrolled so close to U.S. shores.
    The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow.
    The submarine patrol also exposed what U.S. officials said were deficiencies in U.S. anti-submarine warfare capabilities—forces that are facing cuts under the Obama administration’s plan to reduce defense spending by $487 billion over the next 10 years.
    The Navy is in charge of detecting submarines, especially those that sail near U.S. nuclear missile submarines, and uses undersea sensors and satellites to locate and track them.
    The fact that the Akula was not detected in the Gulf is cause for concern, U.S. officials said.
    I don't believe any story where not a single U.S. Navy spokesman is actually named. How do we know any of this happened? Why is this only being reported by a right wing fringe source?

    Proof?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #18
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You must be older than you look.
    Which picture are you referring too?

  9. #19
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    This may or may not be true. The "Free Beacon" is a project of the conservative Center for American Freedom, a 501(c)(4) organization that is not required to disclose its donors. There were rumours that it was a Koch brothers setup but that is just speculation at this time.

    It could also be the beginning of the propaganda campaign against the sequestration of funding that is due to roll into effect in January 2013.

    If the Russian sub was not detected in the Gulf, how do we know it was there? Then there is the not so small fact that most of the Gulf of Mexico is considered international waters, as long as the sub did not come within 12 miles of the coast it was free to operate there. We used to run into Russian 'fishing' vessels all up and down the East Coast while sailing. Sail boats are sneaky devils while sailing - I once had a Polaris sub back down so I could cross his bow about 20 miles south of Block Island.
    Completely irrelevant. This isn't a legal issue, it's a technical issue. You think international waters transmit sound differently than US waters?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,824

    Re: Russian attack submarine sailed in Gulf of Mexico undetected for weeks, U.S. offi

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Completely irrelevant. This isn't a legal issue, it's a technical issue. You think international waters transmit sound differently than US waters?

    What are you trying to say? 'cause I don't get it
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •