Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 349

Thread: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

  1. #241
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    So, $0.14 for 16,000 people to have health care? Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #242
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Why do you believe that not passing along a rise in labor costs to the consumer is the responsible thing for Papa John's to do? I'm curious.
    Because if Domino's or Pizza Hut can give their employees the same health care benefits without punishing their customers with higher costs and still serve a better pizza then thats where my money is going to be spent.

  3. #243
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think I got it right. The world doesn't owe Papa John's owner a living or a profit. If he wants to stick it to his customers, instead of being a responsible business owner then let his customers decide if they want to pay for the higher cost of his product. If they don't, then they'll go to his competitors, Pizza Hut and Domino's and then Papa John's will lose money...a lot of money. That's just the way it is.
    One might argue that "the world" doesn't owe you health care, either, but that's neither here nor there.

    Your "reasoning" here, of course, justifies the intrusion of any level of taxation or artificial burden on a business (which you're probably OK with). If it it kills a business, oh well, right?

    And, of course, it displays a tremendous naivete in thinking that every single business affected by Obamacare won't also pass the cost onto customers. They all will, every last one, even your precious Domino's and Pizza Hut.

    And no one should be surprised OR offended by it -- but many on the left tend to be, what with thinking that all of this burden imposed -- higher taxes, costs of regulation, etc. -- ought to come out of a company's profit and nowhere else. But it doesn't work like that, never will, and it shouldn't.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Because if Domino's or Pizza Hut can give their employees the same health care benefits without punishing their customers with higher costs and still serve a better pizza then thats where my money is going to be spent.
    I agree with you that it is responsible for Papa John's to conform their prices to those of their competitors, but I don't agree if you are implying that trying to maximize profit is irresponsible for any business.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I agree with you that it is responsible for Papa John's to conform their prices to those of their competitors, but I don't agree if you are implying that trying to maximize profit is irresponsible for any business.
    Worrying more about maximizing profits for share holders instead of spending on keeping a company competitive is what runs a lot of companies into the ground. Just ask Romney, he's an expert at it.

  6. #246
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Worrying more about maximizing profits for share holders instead of spending on keeping a company competitive is what runs a lot of companies into the ground.
    Nonsense. This is self-contradictory.

    Give definitive examples. Don't dodge.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #247
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nonsense. This is self-contradictory.

    Give definitive examples. Don't dodge.
    Stockholder wealth maximization is a long-run goal. Companies, and consequently the stockholders, prosper by man*agement making decisions that will produce long-term earnings increases. Actions that are continually shortsighted often “catch up” with a firm and, as a result, it may find itself unable to compete effectively against its competitors. There has been much criticism in recent years that U.S. firms are too short-run profit-oriented. A prime example is the U.S. auto industry, which has been accused of continuing to build large “gas guzzler” automobiles because they had higher profit margins rather than retooling for smaller, more fuel-efficient models.
    Chapter 1

  8. #248
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think I got it right. The world doesn't owe Papa John's owner a living or a profit.
    He isn't saying they do. However, the government owes him the ability to run his business with limited interference. You know, those types of principles we were founded on.

    If he wants to stick it to his customers, instead of being a responsible business owner then let his customers decide if they want to pay for the higher cost of his product. If they don't, then they'll go to his competitors, Pizza Hut and Domino's and then Papa John's will lose money...a lot of money. That's just the way it is.
    See, you have it backwards.... because Papa John's isn't claiming that he is owed anything..........

    While the supporters of ObamaCare believe it is their right to have the burden of their health care shouldered by someone other than themselves.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Because if Domino's or Pizza Hut can give their employees the same health care benefits without punishing their customers with higher costs and still serve a better pizza then thats where my money is going to be spent.
    Pizza Hut I will give you the "Better pizza" label.

    Dominos is rubber ****.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #250
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Stockholder wealth maximization is a long-run goal. Companies, and consequently the stockholders, prosper by man*agement making decisions that will produce long-term earnings increases. Actions that are continually shortsighted often “catch up” with a firm and, as a result, it may find itself unable to compete effectively against its competitors. There has been much criticism in recent years that U.S. firms are too short-run profit-oriented. A prime example is the U.S. auto industry, which has been accused of continuing to build large “gas guzzler” automobiles because they had higher profit margins rather than retooling for smaller, more fuel-efficient models.
    Chapter 1
    Oddly, in this copy-paste from the teacher's edition of an online textbook (with the Google search terms left highlighted), you didn't actually answer the question.

    At best, you posted second-hand "criticism" of some companies.

    What you didn't do is provide definitive examples of companies which failed because it chose profit maximization over "competitiveness."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •