Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 349

Thread: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

  1. #191
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    where have you been the last 50 years? The price of most every essential item has gone up....
    My question is why this time did Papa Johns feel the need to have a press conference on raising prices? I'm tired of restaurants trying to voice off political opinion. Guess what? I don't care! Serve me a pizza, or I take my money elsewhere. Kindly hold the side of politics.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    If companies decide to pay for HC bennies, then they will, as history shows, pass those costs on to us, the consumers. If they take the "fine" they will pass those costs on to us, the consumers.

    However you shake Obamacare out, we will have to pay for the costs of those that don't have insurance. Tax hike is my best guess. You've heard the old saying - "nothing in life is free", yes?
    This is most certainly true, Billy, but it isn't the whole story. If the working poor have health insurance, they will have more disposable income and no doubt, they will buy more pizza. It's possible that if sales and labor costs both rise, most Papa John's franchises could see a net profit.

    This is why I support universal coverage, in large part. However, I have accumulated so many objections to Obamacare that I believe this law actually sets the reform movement back, rather than furthering it.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    My question is why this time did Papa Johns feel the need to have a press conference on raising prices? I'm tired of restaurants trying to voice off political opinion. Guess what? I don't care! Serve me a pizza, or I take my money elsewhere. Kindly hold the side of politics.
    I agree, but remember, since Citizens United, every corporation on Planet Earth can also be an American PAC. It's an altogether revolting development and we will rue the day that we allowed it, but can we really put the cat back in the bag now?

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It should prolly be noted that Schnatter said "will have to offer health care coverage to more of its 16,500 total employees or pay a penalty to the government."

    In otherwords he is not talking about total people that will be added to insurance as being 16,500...but part of. That could mean as little as 1 person or as much as 16,499 employee's, or somewhere in between. So yeah prices will rise...more than likely across the whole spectrum and not just in the pizzaria buisness.

    The article also mentions another side effect of Obamacare....that of more people getting laid off....at a time when our unemployment is higher than ...should I say...what WAS the norm.

    From article:


    IMO Obamacare is going to widen the divide that already exists between small buisness and big buisness.

    Edit to add: And if people will be laid off that just means that you'll be paying for their welfare...which could cost just as much money as what we are paying now. Possibly more depending on how things go. And yeah...maybe even less. But overall with the lay offs and price increases I would bet that it would be the same as or more than what we are paying now.
    Kal'Stang, you are 100% correct, but I am not sure this will happen. I don't think any economist is certain about the effect Obamacare will have, and I reiterate my complaint. How the hell is it best for us to suffer needless added uncertainty about our economic future?

  5. #195
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    where have you been the last 50 years? The price of most every essential item has gone up....
    True. And prices will go up on consumer goods and services to pay for Obamacare. And, IMO, there will be a govt tax coming down the pike also.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; it's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill

  6. #196
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211
    I delivered pizzas when much younger and always overtip. My daughter manages a restaurant so there's that, too.
    Both my kids worked as waiter/waitress at restaurants while attending college, so I always tip generously if they provide even satisfactory service, because I know how much they depend on and appreciate their tip money.

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211
    This might have the effect that nobody has a full time job anymore.
    Companies have been using temp or part-time employees as far back as I can remember, to keep from paying benefits such as health care or retirement.

    This isn't something new and unique to Obamacare.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  7. #197
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    where have you been the last 50 years? The price of most every essential item has gone up....
    It's just the latest dog to kick.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We knew businesses were going to have to do this. We said it at the time during the last election. This is why you weren't supposed to vote for Obama. We knew who he was and what he wanted to do, and we knew it would harm America, and it is.
    Yeah, I can't think of greater harm to America than raising the price of pizza by .20 so that 16,500 employees can have health insurance. Particulary ironic coming from a guy who's health insurance is paid for by the taxpayers.

    What planet do you people live on?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #199
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    This is most certainly true, Billy, but it isn't the whole story. If the working poor have health insurance, they will have more disposable income and no doubt, they will buy more pizza. It's possible that if sales and labor costs both rise, most Papa John's franchises could see a net profit.

    This is why I support universal coverage, in large part. However, I have accumulated so many objections to Obamacare that I believe this law actually sets the reform movement back, rather than furthering it.
    The poor will have the same amount of coverage. The very reason for Obamacare is to insure the poor because they couldn't afford it. IE if they couldn't afford it before and spent their money accordingly what makes you think that they will have more disposable income having free healthcare? Their bills will not change. And I can tell you that as a poor person I did not...sorry, COULD NOT, plan my bills about some possible future where I might need healthcare coverage. I have to deal with the bills I have now. Not yesteryear.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #200
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Kal'Stang, you are 100% correct, but I am not sure this will happen. I don't think any economist is certain about the effect Obamacare will have, and I reiterate my complaint. How the hell is it best for us to suffer needless added uncertainty about our economic future?
    There will always be an uncertainty about any future for anything. But as the old saying goes "Plan for the worst, hope for the best". But I do understand your point and I agree with it. Hell, I even agree with Obamacare...I just HATE how they went about and did it and the Mandate.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •