Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 349

Thread: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

  1. #91
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Fruityfact View Post
    Not really since the benefits are going to those who can't afford healthcare. The medical benefits are a greater cost than 25C a pizza, if you get what i'm saying.
    Same is true of any consumption tax.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #92
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    But if I had a business, and govt mandated the same rules to all my competitors, I would find a way to deal with it, without appealing to the public, aka whining....
    Please. Don't project DP's poster behavior (a/k/a "whining) onto the Papa John's CEO. He was asked by the reporter what effect AHA would have on his company. No whining involved.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, I see you blew right past the actual point.

    I guess regressive taxes are OK as long as they support something you approve.
    There is no right to low prices, Harshaw.

    What about the offsetting cost of lowered healthcare? Does the marginal increase of cost of production overshadow the lowered cost of healthcare?
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 08-08-12 at 12:01 PM.

  4. #94
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    There is no right to low prices, Harshaw.
    And you further try to put up a smokescreen with a (rather stupid) strawman. A strawman which works in favor of any consumption tax, by the way.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #95
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Oh, as you edited your post:

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    What about the offsetting cost of lowered healthcare? Does the marginal increase of cost of production overshadow the lowered cost of healthcare?
    All you're doing is arguing in favor of a regressive consumption tax.

    Keep it up! I like it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    And you further try to put up a smokescreen with a (rather stupid) strawman. A strawman which works in favor of any consumption tax, by the way.
    As you focus solely on the tax and ignore the lowered cost of healthcare....?

    I'd agree with you if there was no benefit on the other side for consumers, like a war tax.

    But if people can ultimately save thousands of dollars on their healthcare costs, which everyone will eventually use, is the increase of few cents of products really going reduce demand? In the long run, people should theoretically have MORE money at the end of the year to spend on greasy pizza, which, ironically, will likely INCREASE their use of healthcare.
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 08-08-12 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, as you edited your post:



    All you're doing is arguing in favor of a regressive consumption tax.

    Keep it up! I like it.
    So what? It's pizza. It's relatively elastic. What about the more active movement of fuel prices? That is a much higher cost to businesses than a few cents increase for a healthcare tax. What's the data on how that affected the demand for pizza?

  8. #98
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    As you focus solely on the tax and ignore the lowered cost of healthcare....?
    [RadicalModerate]Regressive tax! Woo-hoo![/RadicalModerate]


    This is awesome.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #99
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    I don't think a price increase this small is going to decrease demand. Raising the price of a $5.00 McDonalds combo by $1 that is noticeable, raising the price of a $15 pizza by 15-20 cents is not.

  10. #100
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    So what? It's pizza. It's relatively elastic. What about the more active movement of fuel prices? That is a much higher cost to businesses than a few cents increase for a healthcare tax. What's the data on how that affected the demand for pizza?
    An army of strawmen. I didn't say a thing about fuel prices, and I couldn't care less how it affects demand.

    You're tripping all over yourself here.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •