Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 203

Thread: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Funera

  1. #171
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I disagree, I believe rights are what we make them.
    Which doesn't mean they are absolute.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But I do. I believe I have the right to bury my loved one without being harassed. We're not talking about sound, we're talking abuse harassment.
    You are talking about sound, you're talking about people standing outside in public having peacefully assembled to protest and the noise they make "harassing" individual's at a funeral. They aren't on private land, they aren't in the church, so it's the sound that you find offensive.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #173
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Which doesn't mean they are absolute.
    But there are certainly limits to the limits.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #174
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But there are certainly limits to the limits.
    Sure. Start with your free speech zones. Too far IMHO. Any time the government punishes anyone for critcizing them. And other such abuses. But not here. Not abusing grieving family members. Not sound, but abusive language.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure. Start with your free speech zones. Too far IMHO. Any time the government punishes anyone for critcizing them. And other such abuses. But not here. Not abusing grieving family members. Not sound, but abusive language.
    What is "abusive language" if not compression of the air interpreted by our brains? The fact of the matter is that they are not abusing anyone, they are in public and assembling and protesting and so long as that remains true, they MUST be allowed to continue doing so. This is a consequence of freedom, you either accept it or choose "not freedom".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #176
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What is "abusive language" if not compression of the air interpreted by our brains? The fact of the matter is that they are not abusing anyone, they are in public and assembling and protesting and so long as that remains true, they MUST be allowed to continue doing so. This is a consequence of freedom, you either accept it or choose "not freedom".
    Language has meaning. And when we make meaning form it. And when we do, we respond. And no, those words, that abuse, hits my nose.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Language has meaning. And when we make meaning form it. And when we do, we respond. And no, those words, that abuse, hits my nose.
    Words are wind.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #178
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Words are wind.
    Even the Bible notes the importance of words.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Even the Bible notes the importance of words.
    The Bible has no bearing on law, so that's a moot point.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #180
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The Bible has no bearing on law, so that's a moot point.
    The point is, in all things (espeically law) words matter.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •