Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 203

Thread: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Funera

  1. #151
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    "Reasonable restrictions" on the freedom of speech? Then it ends to be free. It then becomes "semi-restricted free speech"....
    It's not new, and we still have free speech. Tell me I can't protest a policitican, and I'm with you. Tell me I can't state an opinion and make an argument, adn I'm with you again. Tell me you want the right to harass familes as they bury their loved ones, and no, I'm not with you at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's not new, and we still have free speech. Tell me I can't protest a policitican, and I'm with you. Tell me I can't state an opinion and make an argument, adn I'm with you again. Tell me you want the right to harass familes as they bury their loved ones, and no, I'm not with you at all.
    You cannot protest the politician, you may stand in your caged in "free speech" zone and yell, miles away from any politician. You cannot state an opinion and make an argument the establishment does not like, they even prearrest people these days for that crap.

    There are real efforts to destroy the right to free speech, helping them do so isn't going to land us anywhere better.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #153
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    All rights have the one natural limitation that you may not infringe upon the rights of others in the process. All "reasonable" restrictions come along this line. And yet, no right here has been violated. And so long as that is true, we cannot justly use government force to stop WBC just because we do not like what they are saying.
    Again, I believe they do infringe on some elses rights. A right that only the most vile would violate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, I believe they do infringe on some elses rights. A right that only the most vile would violate.
    But they didn't. What you claim is a right is not a right. Not when on public property, which is where all this is happening. You do not have command over vibrations in the air.

    BTW, I really hate this new quote notification thing.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #155
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's not new, and we still have free speech.
    No we have "restricted free-speech" that is only appropriate allowed free speech if the gov says it ok.

    Tell me I can't protest a policitican, and I'm with you. Tell me I can't state an opinion and make an argument, adn I'm with you again. Tell me you want the right to harass familes as they bury their loved ones, and no, I'm not with you at all.
    Sure but you dont have the freedom of assembly. Which is part of freedom of speech. Free speech zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



  6. #156
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You cannot protest the politician, you may stand in your caged in "free speech" zone and yell, miles away from any politician. You cannot state an opinion and make an argument the establishment does not like, they even prearrest people these days for that crap.

    There are real efforts to destroy the right to free speech, helping them do so isn't going to land us anywhere better.
    I would stand with you against such zones. I think we learn a lot about a politiican in how he handles those who want to protest. And anyone stopping me from making an argument would have me protesting that as well. There is work there to be done. Not with WBC.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No we have "restricted free-speech" that is only appropriate allowed free speech if the gov says it ok.



    Sure but you dont have the freedom of assembly. Which is part of freedom of speech. Free speech zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And I oppose those. From day one. But not WBC's right to harrass grieving family memebers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #158
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And I oppose those. From day one. But not WBC's right to harrass grieving family memebers.
    Harass it or not they a protesting and using their right to freedom of speech to protest an event on public property. Which is completely legal, just as its legal for Nazis to march through a town "harassing" (call it what you want) a certain amount of individuals. They both have the right to do so.


  9. #159
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I would stand with you against such zones. I think we learn a lot about a politiican in how he handles those who want to protest. And anyone stopping me from making an argument would have me protesting that as well. There is work there to be done. Not with WBC.
    You gotta take it all if your end goal is freedom. I love WBC protesting, there I said it. I love their protesting because even though it's retarded so long as they can do it, it means that they CAN do it. So long as there is the choice, there is the freedom. So long as there is the freedom, there is liberty. I aim to maximize liberty and freedom, not curtail it just because some humans choose to be dicks. Those assholes are already why anarchy cannot work, and that's just about enough compromise in my book.

    Freedom has consequences and responsibilities and duties and if we do not shoulder it all, then we shoulder none. For if we allow our freedom to be eroded by power of State, we will soon find ourselves slaves on the land our forefathers conquered.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #160
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Honoring America's Veterans Act Signed By Obama, Restricting Westboro Military Fu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You gotta take it all if your end goal is freedom. I love WBC protesting, there I said it. I love their protesting because even though it's retarded so long as they can do it, it means that they CAN do it. So long as there is the choice, there is the freedom. So long as there is the freedom, there is liberty. I aim to maximize liberty and freedom, not curtail it just because some humans choose to be dicks. Those assholes are already why anarchy cannot work, and that's just about enough compromise in my book.

    Freedom has consequences and responsibilities and duties and if we do not shoulder it all, then we shoulder none. For if we allow our freedom to be eroded by power of State, we will soon find ourselves slaves on the land our forefathers conquered.
    I don't buy that. Being a dick isn't the problem. Be one all you want. I'll defend that as well. Bothering grieving people, no I won't defend that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •