Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Fascinating. I used to actually DO this for CapitalOne, through a telemarketing company. I can tell you, from firsthand experience, that this is certainly what I saw going on during my 9 months working as a CapitalOne representative. We were told to distort and twist the truth to make it sound like a benefit to a customer. We were told to target older people and non-English speakers as especially "receptive" to what we were pushing. In reality, we were offering unnecessary and risky options that would inevitably lead customers to spend more and ultimately pay us more.

    I'm glad to see they got some form of punishment. It was a particularly dirty trick they were playing.
    If you knowingly did these things, then I am sure some smart lawyer will find out who you are and sue you. You can't use as an excuse that this is what your company made you do, a moral person would have quit.

  2. #12
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    If you knowingly did these things, then I am sure some smart lawyer will find out who you are and sue you. You can't use as an excuse that this is what your company made you do, a moral person would have quit.
    Yeah, even a moral person with rent due, an empty gas tank, and an empty fridge. They'd TOTALLY leave a job in the middle of a recession out of moral indignation because it's the right thing to do. Who cares if they end up homeless or unable to drive to job interviews or unable to feed themselves. It's far more important to be morally righteous when survival is on the line.

    And besides, RM said he "used" to do this for C1. That means he left at some point for one reason or another. Perhaps he left because of this issue. Perhaps not.

    But to demand or expect people to just walk out because of morally questionable actions on the part of the company without any safety net or other options hammered out is asking an awful lot.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Yeah, even a moral person with rent due, an empty gas tank, and an empty fridge. They'd TOTALLY leave a job in the middle of a recession out of moral indignation because it's the right thing to do. Who cares if they end up homeless or unable to drive to job interviews or unable to feed themselves. It's far more important to be morally righteous when survival is on the line.

    And besides, RM said he "used" to do this for C1. That means he left at some point for one reason or another. Perhaps he left because of this issue. Perhaps not.

    But to demand or expect people to just walk out because of morally questionable actions on the part of the company without any safety net or other options hammered out is asking an awful lot.
    Make up all the false excuses you want. I say false because unless you know this person how can you state his financial condition.

    All that being said, if the choice is doing poorly yourself or stealing from others, most people think stealing is not the proper box to check. Clearly your moral compass is different. Stealing from the elderly seems to be OK with you under some conditions.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    If you knowingly did these things, then I am sure some smart lawyer will find out who you are and sue you. You can't use as an excuse that this is what your company made you do, a moral person would have quit.
    Which is what I did. I was sick of that job and having to do glaringly immoral work. So thanks for the words of concern, but screw you. Don't make stupid accusation like "someones gonna sue you" and then insinuate I'm immoral because you incorrectly I assume I had no problem with it.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Which is what I did. I was sick of that job and having to do glaringly immoral work. So thanks for the words of concern, but screw you. Don't make stupid accusation like "someones gonna sue you" and then insinuate I'm immoral because you incorrectly I assume I had no problem with it.
    You can still be sued even if you suddenly found a moral compass. The fact you would do it for a single day says everything. You can be mad with this view. I would like to see the poll that asked people if someone used to be a mugger but stopped because he decided it was not right, could he still be convicted for his/her crimes if the statute of limitations has not passed.

  6. #16
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Oh, I agree with you. I just know how much it sucks to be that phone rep. They're the ones that did something illegal, but from my experience I'm willing to bet that part of the motivation was the extreme pressure from the top to make those sales.

    I forgot to mention, though: There are several programs that are just a waste...Pet insurance that didn't really cover anything, an AAA program that didn't cover even half of what AAA covered, etc.



    Most people didn't qualify for those programs, though. You had to have a near perfect credit score and a HUGE credit limit to qualify for all of the extras. The most common programs that popped up where the payment protection and credit monitoring programs.
    The bane of having an 800+ credit score is that EVERYONE wants a piece of you and everyone wants to sell you something...My wife and I are utterly inundated with garbage everyday...via mail, email and phone...I have my name on ALL do not call lists...cell phone too...I unsubscribe from everything I can and it just keeps coming...sigh...maybe I should go bankrupt so they leave me alone and let turtledude pay my bills lol

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You can still be sued even if you suddenly found a moral compass. The fact you would do it for a single day says everything. You can be mad with this view. I would like to see the poll that asked people if someone used to be a mugger but stopped because he decided it was not right, could he still be convicted for his/her crimes if the statute of limitations has not passed.
    Yeah, yeah yeah...you're the expert now that ruling has been handed down. Hindsight is 20/20 huh? Now you think you've got the moral high ground to judge me.

    Get bent.

  8. #18
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    I am shocked....

    You got bank regulation and regulators in the US? Since when!?
    PeteEU

  9. #19
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You can still be sued even if you suddenly found a moral compass. The fact you would do it for a single day says everything. You can be mad with this view. I would like to see the poll that asked people if someone used to be a mugger but stopped because he decided it was not right, could he still be convicted for his/her crimes if the statute of limitations has not passed.
    Well, I did it for two days back in college and managed to quit while I could still call it "that awful yet slightly humorous experience back in college" and not "that bad thing I used to do to other people for a living." It was because of that experience that I lost all potential for sympathizing with a telemarketer's need to "just pay the bills." There are countless crappy, low paying jobs that don't involve being evil, so anyone choosing to stay on as a telemarketer tells me that they are in, in essence, extremely well suited to the requirements of that job.

    Seriously, if you're a telemarketer, kill yourself. The world is a worse place because you're alive.

  10. #20
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Consumer agency fines Capital One for card marketing

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Make up all the false excuses you want. I say false because unless you know this person how can you state his financial condition.

    All that being said, if the choice is doing poorly yourself or stealing from others, most people think stealing is not the proper box to check. Clearly your moral compass is different. Stealing from the elderly seems to be OK with you under some conditions.
    Or perhaps I can just ignore the requests to swindle the customers I talk to and do the job correctly until I can find something else.

    But thanks for the veiled insult. How magnanimous of you.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •