Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

  1. #51
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I know, I'm saying that in the US, Scientologists have done more to work against free speech than basically any other group in these times.
    Sure, you can keep looking for a smaller and smaller and smaller area to examine to find the one place where this group of crazies over here is crazier than that group of crazies over there. That doesn't stop them *ALL* from being crazy!

    Besides, as crazy as the Scientologists are, at least they haven't flown any planes into buildings.

    Yet.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Sure, you can keep looking for a smaller and smaller and smaller area to examine to find the one place where this group of crazies over here is crazier than that group of crazies over there. That doesn't stop them *ALL* from being crazy!

    Besides, as crazy as the Scientologists are, at least they haven't flown any planes into buildings.

    Yet.
    I guess I see the newer Scientology religion as the bigger threat, because they don't have the philosophical thought behind Islam. Islam may be another dumb Abrahamic religion, but at least there's a few thousand years of people who thought about the religion and some did come to some very profound and beautiful realizations about humankind. At least with Islam, there's enough difference in thought to offset the crazy jihadists a bit.

    Not so Scientology. I guess that's why I see Scientology as a greater threat to free speech than Muslims, despite the fact that too many of them express Islamic supremacist ideas and look to silence opposition.

  3. #53
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    I have absolutely zero respect or use for Scientology, but... I will admit that I enjoyed reading Battlefield Earth. Not the best book I ever read, but it was well done and entertaining. Unfortunately, John Travolta completely butchered the story line when he made the movie version.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #54
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,934

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I just love that, where everyone rightly makes fun of Scientology and it's absurd beliefs, they can turn right around and defend any other religion, which is just as absurd.
    "Hey, Scientology is no whackier than anything else, so if you're going to laugh at one you have to laugh at the either. I mean, we Jews wear magic hats."

    -Howard Stern.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 07-06-12 at 10:16 PM.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    "Hey, Scientology is no whackier than anything else, so if you're going to laugh at one you have to laugh at the either. I mean, we Jews wear magic hats."

    -Howard Stern.
    I laugh at all of them.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #56
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's Scientology for you. The whole thing is a scam and they need to try to make it look like it's not by using intimidation practices to silence dissent. Scientology should be categorized as a cult.
    Its a criminal organisation not a cult.
    PeteEU

  7. #57
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I guess I see the newer Scientology religion as the bigger threat, because they don't have the philosophical thought behind Islam. Islam may be another dumb Abrahamic religion, but at least there's a few thousand years of people who thought about the religion and some did come to some very profound and beautiful realizations about humankind. At least with Islam, there's enough difference in thought to offset the crazy jihadists a bit.

    Not so Scientology. I guess that's why I see Scientology as a greater threat to free speech than Muslims, despite the fact that too many of them express Islamic supremacist ideas and look to silence opposition.
    Biggest threat from Scientology is their strategy of being a fifth coloum in government and business. They have taken over several companies by infecting the top brass with followers and suddenly it became mandatory to be a follower to keep your job. They also have "friends" in Congress and local government.. and the more "friends" they get, the more influence and money they can make.. which ultimately is the goal of Scientology... money.

    The guy who runs the sham today, was a homeless poor guy before he "found the light" .. now he is extremely wealthy with his own harem and slaves in his own palace.. ahh the American dream!
    PeteEU

  8. #58
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Its a criminal organisation not a cult.
    It can be both.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #59
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It can be both.
    Not in the eyes of the law... cults if accepted as religions, can basically do whatever they want in some countries... including often criminal acts.
    PeteEU

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I guess I see the newer Scientology religion as the bigger threat, because they don't have the philosophical thought behind Islam. Islam may be another dumb Abrahamic religion, but at least there's a few thousand years of people who thought about the religion and some did come to some very profound and beautiful realizations about humankind. At least with Islam, there's enough difference in thought to offset the crazy jihadists a bit.

    Not so Scientology. I guess that's why I see Scientology as a greater threat to free speech than Muslims, despite the fact that too many of them express Islamic supremacist ideas and look to silence opposition.
    There's also the fact that we can easily trace the origins of Scientology to a damn science fiction author. You can't do that with the big religions like Islam, Hinduism, etc. The fact that Scientology's ridiculous origins are so easily traced and obviously illegitimate make seem much more ridiculous than the others.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •