Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    (Tempe, Arizona) — Economic activity in the manufacturing sector contracted in June for the first time since July 2009; however, the overall economy grew for the 37th consecutive month, say the nation's supply executives in the latest Manufacturing ISM Report On Business®.
    This report is a mixed one. While it does say that the economy is growing (Something that Obama is not responsible for), it also portends troubled days ahead, as it shows a steep drop in manufacturing.

    This does not speak about which president is responsible, for either the good or the bad, and I want to, at this point, concentrate on the bad, as that is where we are really headed, despite the rosy numbers on a growing economy (numbers which I believe are only temporary). I firmly believe that neither Obama nor Bush are responsible for the bad here. Should Romney win the election, and the numbers remain the same during his first term, I would not put the blame on him either. These are MARKET forces at work, which no president has control over.

    However, this report does give proof to one theory - That it is not billionaires who create jobs. It is demand from consumers, and right now, consumers are just not buying.

    So, my friends. How do we get consumers to start buying again? This is the question of the day. Please, no partisan hackery responses from either Democrats or Republicans. I would like this to be a serious discussion, so I don't want to hear any crap about how Obama is a Communist or how Romney hates people who are not millionaires.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 07-03-12 at 11:17 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Uncertainty. People dont spend freely when a lot of things are up in the air. Lately it seems like everything is up in the air.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This report is a mixed one. While it does say that the economy is growing (Something that Obama is not responsible for), it also portends troubled days ahead, as it shows a steep drop in manufacturing.

    This does not speak about which president is responsible, for either the good or the bad, and I want to, at this point, concentrate on the bad, as that is where we are really headed, despite the rosy numbers on a growing economy (numbers which I believe are only temporary). I firmly believe that neither Obama nor Bush are responsible for the bad here. Should Romney win the election, and the numbers remain the same during his first term, I would not put the blame on him either. These are MARKET forces at work, which no president has control over.

    However, this report does give proof to one theory - That it is not billionaires who create jobs. It is demand from consumers, and right now, consumers are just not buying.

    So, my friends. How do we get consumers to start buying again? This is the question of the day. Please, no partisan hackery responses from either Democrats or Republicans. I would like this to be a serious discussion, so I don't want to hear any crap about how Obama is a Communist or how Romney hates people who are not millionaires.

    Article is here.
    They are unemployed, no wonder they are not spending. And as long as consumers remain unemployed they will not spend. So I would say it's not the consumers that create jobs but billionaires, if consumers are not employed they have no money in their pocket to spend.

    And how long do you think Bush should be considered for a bad economy?
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,880

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Our economy, unfortunately it seems, will be hinging on Europe's progress and whether or not the eurozone can stay intact. If it does (and probably will) the economic confidence will grow and spending will follow IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #5
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  6. #6
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Our economy, unfortunately it seems, will be hinging on Europe's progress and whether or not the eurozone can stay intact. If it does (and probably will) the economic confidence will grow and spending will follow IMO.
    Actually it would be better for the US if the Eurozone breaks up.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  7. #7
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,880

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Actually it would be better for the US if the Eurozone breaks up.
    I disagree. It may put us on top competitively but it will boat anchor us as far as trying to export goods when such a strong purchaser of goods goes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #8
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I disagree. It may put us on top competitively but it will boat anchor us as far as trying to export goods when such a strong purchaser of goods goes down.
    That's what the Globalists have programmed people to think. In reality it would be better if the Eurozone cities were bombed, not just broken up.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  9. #9
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,681

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This report is a mixed one. While it does say that the economy is growing (Something that Obama is not responsible for), it also portends troubled days ahead, as it shows a steep drop in manufacturing.

    This does not speak about which president is responsible, for either the good or the bad, and I want to, at this point, concentrate on the bad, as that is where we are really headed, despite the rosy numbers on a growing economy (numbers which I believe are only temporary). I firmly believe that neither Obama nor Bush are responsible for the bad here. Should Romney win the election, and the numbers remain the same during his first term, I would not put the blame on him either. These are MARKET forces at work, which no president has control over.

    However, this report does give proof to one theory - That it is not billionaires who create jobs. It is demand from consumers, and right now, consumers are just not buying.

    So, my friends. How do we get consumers to start buying again? This is the question of the day. Please, no partisan hackery responses from either Democrats or Republicans. I would like this to be a serious discussion, so I don't want to hear any crap about how Obama is a Communist or how Romney hates people who are not millionaires.

    Article is here.
    I disagree with repsect presidents and the economy. economic policies and exapmples ae set by sitting presidents. When we consider FDR vs Ronald Reagan, we find a mirror image: growth went in totally opposite directions and RR ran up a 10% unemployment rate based on his examples, whlie FDR closed the unemployment rate and economic growth went directly to the wage earners of the country who spent themselves into the highest standard of living in the world. RR's policies sent economic growth away from the wage earner, who without an appropriate rate of expendable income have been retreating ever since. As corporate and 1% incomes have gone sky high, without the propper balance that framers guaranteed, we have seen economic activty in this country drop off to near nothing.

    The Democrats for their part, offer a raod to a return to the great days of this country. The Republicans conversely only offer a closed door and a ''members only club". The answer; quite frankly is for the Republian leadership to start setting examples of respect, which they do not offer at all.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: June 2012 Manufacturing ISM Report On Business

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This report is a mixed one. While it does say that the economy is growing (Something that Obama is not responsible for), it also portends troubled days ahead, as it shows a steep drop in manufacturing.

    This does not speak about which president is responsible, for either the good or the bad, and I want to, at this point, concentrate on the bad, as that is where we are really headed, despite the rosy numbers on a growing economy (numbers which I believe are only temporary). I firmly believe that neither Obama nor Bush are responsible for the bad here. Should Romney win the election, and the numbers remain the same during his first term, I would not put the blame on him either. These are MARKET forces at work, which no president has control over.

    However, this report does give proof to one theory - That it is not billionaires who create jobs. It is demand from consumers, and right now, consumers are just not buying.

    So, my friends. How do we get consumers to start buying again? This is the question of the day. Please, no partisan hackery responses from either Democrats or Republicans. I would like this to be a serious discussion, so I don't want to hear any crap about how Obama is a Communist or how Romney hates people who are not millionaires.

    Article is here.
    At first, the argument was "a lack of investor confidence" was holding the economy at bay. Now, the argument seems to be it's "a lack of consumer confidence". Well, which is it?

    This divergance in compelling arguments tells me that the financiers have gotten their acts together on Wall Street, but aren't quite ready to put money back into the pockets of consumers. But that time is fast approaching and the best way to do that short of going on a massive rebuilding phase which was how FDR was able to spur economic growth is to force the wealth class to live up to the theory of trickle down economics and start paying higher salaries.

    Looks, it's very simple: Conservatism claims that the best way for businesses to function unhindered is to remove all (or most) of the obstacles on businesses and the free market system to use their profits to grow or expand their business. Well, most of the hurtles that were once hindering business have been removed, i.e., labor unions and collective bargaining rights being the top two. Taxes are still low (re: Bush tax cuts remain in tact) and the payroll tax cut has been extended. So, what happened? Why is the unemployment rate still hovering at 8.2%?

    Answers:

    1) The cost of consumer goods increased mainly due to high gas prices. Now that the price of gas is coming down, I expect the cost of consumer goods will also start to come down over time except for food. (See item #2)

    2) Natural disasters also play a role in our nation's economy. People want to discount nature's impact, but you can't! A flood, a drought, a tornado, an earthquake - they all play a role in the ebb and flow of our nation's economy especially where our food supply is concerned. Folks tend to think it's just regional, but a drought across the heartland of American can have a devastating impact on food prices across the country. Same can be said of a hurricane that hits the Gulf of Mexico where fuel prices are concerned. (Thank God that hasn't happened yet.) And I havent' even mentioned how homes and businesses have been impacted as well. Consider for a moment how cities in the north-east were affected from the earth quake that hit last year, the tornados that hit along America's mid-section, the raging wild fires in Colorado or the heatwave and drought that's affecting the country right now. Natural disaster do have an impact on our nation's economy. And American has had more than its fair share over the last 2-years.

    3) Of course, there's also the issue of free trade agreements between partner nations. Trade agreements between Europe (Germany, Spain, France), S. Korea, India and Central America have begun to kick in, but it's still going to take a few years before we see true benefits.

    So, how do you break this gridlock?

    It's a very unpopular stance w/Republicans but the wealth-class will have to come off some of their riches. It's just that simple.

    Our national economy seems to be feeding from the same economic well called the middle-class. The poor and elderly are making many of their puchases on consumer goods at discount stores or using coupons to extend their purchasing power. But those wage earners in the middle - not yet poor but certainly not rich - aren't shopping too much. They're buying only what they need. You break that gridlock by improving wages thereby providing the middle-class with more disposable income. People will then go out and spend their money. Manufacturers will then be able to produce more goods. Businesses will then be able to expand to more areas.

    Looking further into the enterprising side, people are trying to start their own businesses (i.e., homebased mostly) but it's difficult to do when you can't get a business loan or drive consumers to your "doors" (I use the term losely here since many home buinsesses are in eCommerce) to spend money. You want the economy to start moving again? Then you really do need to spread the wealth around some. This isn't a redistributive argument, folks. It's just a practical solution to the problem. Think of it like this: If wealthy millionaires and billionaires can sink millions of dollars into all these political campaigns, why won't they put this money back into their businesses or at the very least in their employee's paychecks?

    You want consumers to start spending more, break the gridlock and give a man a raise because clearly the money is there as evidenced by the support Romney has received from the investor/business class. You could make that same argument against Pres. Obama, except he doesn't seem to be getting the same level of donations from the same class of folks, but he doens't get a pass here either. My point here, though, is the money is there for business owners to break this economic gridlock. People will just need to get really pissed off and see the hypocrisy taking place.

    Again, if a wealthy individual has the audacity to claim that consumer confidence is low because ordinary people aren't spending money, the logical conclusion as to why that is the case is because people don't have enough disposable income to once again be impose shoppers. So, if you really want to bring back that "wreckless spending" habit and boost consumer confidence, increase salaries of those who do still have jobs.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 07-07-12 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •