Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 327

Thread: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

  1. #61
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I bet poor access to sufficiently good healthcare is half the problem. I understand it would be expensive, but America is the wealthiest nation in the world and one of the few without universal healthcare. So where are the funding gaps? Why wouldn't it be possible for America to sustain this level of funding? Well, you could look to the excessive wastefulness of the American economy and the collosal budget of the military for starters.
    It's more likely the problem that Americans in general don't think long range. They want to live unhealthy lifestyles, then go get "fixed" when a problem arises.
    We have a huge obesity problem here. We also have very high rates of diabetes, heart disease, and anxiety/depression problems. Much of the problem here is cultural in nature, and to fix it, individuals would have to be pro-active in taking care of their health. One of the few incentives that works is for people to have to pay for their healthcare expenses, when you're dealing with a population who loves excess as a lifestyle. Universal coverage in this country would make the problems worse, not better.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    Ahh, the 'I don't have an answer for the stupidity of these people, but here's my attempt at deflection' post.

    Yeah, knowing Karl Rove and understanding how the country that borders us functions are really comparable.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Medicine being for-profit is not the primary or only reason why U.S. life expectancy isn't the same as other countries (and the difference in most cases is 1-3 years...our ALE is 78.2 and the highest ALE belongs to Japan, at 82.6 Only four countries have a life expectancy at 82+ years). The American lifestyle, including diet, physical activity, mentality towards healthy living, social pressures for appearance, etc...all contributing factors. Our consumption of alcohol and tobacco...also key factors. Accessibility of drugs...also a key factor. Violent crime statistics...also a key factor.

    It's dishonest to say that our health care is the reason our life expectancy is shorter than other countries and imply that it's the primary reason. It's a small part of a much larger puzzle.

    Further, the life expectancy in Cuba is 78.3....that's only 0.1 year longer than the U.S. That's a marginal difference.
    Wow. It fills me with all kinds of pride to realize that my countrymen only live 0.1 years less than the average Cuban.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #64
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It's more likely the problem that Americans in general don't think long range. They want to live unhealthy lifestyles, then go get "fixed" when a problem arises.
    We have a huge obesity problem here. We also have very high rates of diabetes, heart disease, and anxiety/depression problems. Much of the problem here is cultural in nature, and to fix it, individuals would have to be pro-active in taking care of their health. One of the few incentives that works is for people to have to pay for their healthcare expenses, when you're dealing with a population who loves excess as a lifestyle. Universal coverage in this country would make the problems worse, not better.
    I disagree. If you are truly saying people will be impelled to neglect their health on the basis that they would not have to pay for treatment, we would see these patterns emerge across uni healthcare countries everywhere, but they just aren't their. Would it impel you to do the same? Probably not, and i trust that most people are also sensible and can think rationally for themselves, by that very same logic.

    Perhaps Universal healthcare could combat these issues by providing education and treatment in a way that the current system does not allow, and perhaps the GOVERNMENT would be impelled to start caring more about individual health because quiet simply it would cost them too much to continue ignoring this problem (and thus by doing this itself bring about a change in culture), as currently, so long as the insurance companies keep pumping the money into the economy in the billions, it disconnects the government from the core issues and to be frank, keeps them happy to continue not caring.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #65
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I disagree. If you are truly saying people will be impelled to neglect their health on the basis that they would not have to pay for treatment, we would see these patterns emerge across uni healthcare countries everywhere, but they just aren't their. Would it impel you to do the same? Probably not, and i trust that most people are also sensible and can think rationally for themselves, by that very same logic.
    Perhaps Universal healthcare could combat these issues by providing education and treatment in a way that the current system does not allow, and perhaps the GOVERNMENT would be impelled to start caring more about individual health because quiet simply it would cost them too much to continue ignoring this problem (and thus by doing this itself bring about a change in culture), as currently, so long as the insurance companies keep pumping the money into the economy in the billions, it disconnects the government from the core issues and to be frank, keeps them happy to continue not caring.
    The bolded is where you seem to be mistaken. I really don't think you understand the mindset of a large number of Americans very well. That is understandable, and is to be expected, frankly. My experiences of working in the health care industry for 30 years tells me that universal coverage won't help our systemic problems. Hopefully I am wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #66
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The bolded is where you seem to be mistaken. I really don't think you understand the mindset of a large number of Americans very well. That is understandable, and is to be expected, frankly. My experiences of working in the health care industry for 30 years tells me that universal coverage won't help our systemic problems. Hopefully I am wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.
    I respect that. In which case if i am wrong, and the healthcare system does exaggerate the problems, which i honestly doubt, then we have an unprecedented situation here whereby the culture itself has become so perverted that people are caring less about their own health merely on the basis that treatment is free and measures, tough measures, would need to be taken to address this, but for me (if i was American) the end result either way will always be the need to bring about Uni HC in America as a solution to many problems American society faces and i honestly believe that if the culture is the main point of focus here that Uni HC could assist greatly in actually bringing about cultural change rather than making worse the status quo.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 06-29-12 at 01:16 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #67
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Medicine being for-profit is not the primary or only reason why U.S. life expectancy isn't the same as other countries (and the difference in most cases is 1-3 years...our ALE is 78.2 and the highest ALE belongs to Japan, at 82.6 Only four countries have a life expectancy at 82+ years). The American lifestyle, including diet, physical activity, mentality towards healthy living, social pressures for appearance, etc...all contributing factors. Our consumption of alcohol and tobacco...also key factors. Accessibility of drugs...also a key factor. Violent crime statistics...also a key factor.

    It's dishonest to say that our health care is the reason our life expectancy is shorter than other countries and imply that it's the primary reason. It's a small part of a much larger puzzle.

    Further, the life expectancy in Cuba is 78.3....that's only 0.1 year longer than the U.S. That's a marginal difference.

    Heres the problem with your scenario tess...Rich Americans in studies live 5 to 8 yrs longer than American Poor....

    Rich Americans Live 5 Years Longer Than Poor, Study Shows

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Yes, people are so fed up with "socialized health care" in America, that they're moving. To Canada

    People Who Say They're Moving To Canada Because Of ObamaCare
    People said the same thing when Bush was elected and when Obama was elected....


    At some point I think maybe we should start enforcing this. Dump all the idiots in Canada. hahahah
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    People said the same thing when Bush was elected and when Obama was elected....


    At some point I think maybe we should start enforcing this. Dump all the idiots in Canada. hahahah
    True, but as I said, it's more about the irony of "I hate socialized medicine. I'm going to Canada." Neither Bush nor Obama were ever President of Canada. In fact, I wonder how many Americans know that Canada doesn't even have a President.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #70
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-17-14 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    189

    Re: People say they're moving to Canada because of Obamacare

    No,
    Just give this country back to Mexico after you pay $2600.00 a year for health care.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •