Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 129

Thread: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

  1. #61
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Do you know why I didn't respond to this when you said it the first time?
    I assume it is just another instance of the whole thing I'm talking about. You don't lay out your positions clearly and you don't provide support for them. You just kind of hint at what assumption you have made and then move on.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    I assume it is just another instance of the whole thing I'm talking about. You don't lay out your positions clearly and you don't provide support for them. You just kind of hint at what assumption you have made and then move on.
    The only thing worth talking about is pollution in your comment but you already know of my position on pollution and how I have proposed solving it. Why exactly would I go over it again with you?

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,986

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    I wonder if they'll ban alcohol too. Alcohol is high in calories and is very unhealthy. So it's not ok to buy a 20oz soda but it's ok to go to a bar and drink all you want? I'm not advocating that they ban alcohol, but I'm pointing out how completely mindless their logic is. This whole soda ban garbage is one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation I've ever seen.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #64
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    If the government is expected to bail people out of medical problems via Medicare and other public health programs, it certainly ought to reserve the right to put limits on those items that contribute to public health program expenditures, namely, high calorie foods.

    I think New York ought to ban the sale of cartons of cigarettes, limit pack sizes to 10, and ban multiple sales of packs for good measure.
    Then they shouldn't allow the sale of any goods of this nature - at all - period.

    Available consumptive quantities is *not* the issue. Telling people 'no you can't have that' isn't going to do anything, either.

    Just like liquor - they banned it and said 'you can't have that' Right now people can even make their own dang sodas.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #65
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The only thing worth talking about is pollution in your comment but you already know of my position on pollution and how I have proposed solving it. Why exactly would I go over it again with you?
    Henrin, you don't understand. You still haven't laid out your position. Those questions were examples of the sorts of details that are unclear about your position. All we know, and even this took quite a bit of posting to drag out of you, is that you believe that banning activities that don't infringe other people's rights has more disadvantages than advantages. We don't know what makes you think that, we don't know what you mean when you say infringing rights, we don't know what kinds of advantages and disadvantages you're talking about. In fact, you never even said the line was infringing rights. That's just something I've said to describe my guess for what you're trying to say that you haven't told me was wrong, so I'm continuing to guess that that is what you're trying to say...

    Honestly man, it just seems like you think you're saying a ton of stuff that is still inside your head. Its like you assume that we're in there with you so we should just be able to guess what you think about everything. We can't. You need to lay your positions out clearly and back them up with arguments.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    ...This whole soda ban garbage is one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation I've ever seen.
    what...NYC is banning soda?

    since when?

  7. #67
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, it would. What you're referring to is called the "dormant commerce clause". As you say, it prevents states and local governments from putting burdens on the free flow of commerce. But, that isn't going on here. The types of burdens they look for are things that discriminate in favor of local products over out of state products or things that make the actual flow of commerce problematic. For example, if you have 49 states that require that trucks have mud flaps and one state that prohibits trucks from having mud flaps, then that one state is causing a massive hassle for interstate shipping, so that would violate the dormant commerce clause. If NYC had banned sodas from out of state, but allowed in state sodas or something, that would certainly be a dormant commerce clause problem. But, without discrimination or an impediment to the actual process of interstate commerce, it isn't. States are definitely allowed to decide what products are banned for health reasons and whatnot.
    Prohibits certain cup sizes.

  8. #68
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Prohibits certain cup sizes.
    That's fine. That doesn't impede interstate commerce or discriminate on the basis of the state of origin.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #69
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    but I'm pointing out how completely mindless their logic is. This whole soda ban garbage is one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation I've ever seen.
    As Thunder stated, NYC is not banning soda, and you didn't point anything out.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    As Thunder stated, NYC is not banning soda, and you didn't point anything out.
    how in the world did we go from "banning very large sugary drinks" to "banning soda"????????????

    its like folks either refuse to read....or simply can't be honest about what they read.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •