Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 129

Thread: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Does it really offend you that the government, made up of people and fellow citizens, might do something to encourage (not mandate or coerce) wise behavior in it's fellow citizens?
    Yes it does.

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Heres the point all this miss's. No matter how noble a thought is to stop obesity, you have to put it in its perspective.
    A nutritional expert went on a donut diet to prove that the age old theory calories in calories out are the only way to lose weight. He consumed 1800 calories per day in twinkies and Crispy Cremes and he lost 27lbs in 10 weeks.
    You can eliminate any one thing like big soda or any group of several things and it just will not workm, until the people your targeting have less calories in than calories going OUT...simple. Bloomberg is a tool who once again is looking for attention.

    I forgot to include at the conclusion of the 10 week donut diet, not only did he lose 27lbs, but his total cholesterol went down and his ration of good to bad cholesterol improved...go figure...I read this the other day in my WebMD subscription that comes to my email daily, Im going to look if I still have it

    Ok I found it...

    For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

    His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

    The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

    His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

    But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

    Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

    Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com
    1st: Why am I not surprised that this was totally ignored over the course the the two pages after this was posted that I read?

    2nd: I've been saying this same basic thing for god knows how long now. Good to see that someone with a degree proved it officially.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #93
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then listen up.

    How does it not?

    Did I stutter? Respond to one and two.
    Well, I've done my best to help you get past whatever this communication issue you're having is. I can't make you follow my advice. But it is good advice and you would be wise to think on it a bit.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Does it really offend you that the government, made up of people and fellow citizens, might do something to encourage (not mandate or coerce) wise behavior in it's fellow citizens?
    I agree with Henrin. This is not the governments job.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Well, I've done my best to help you get past whatever this communication issue you're having is. I can't make you follow my advice. But it is good advice and you would be wise to think on it a bit.
    You asked me what I meant and I told you what I meant in a very short and easy to follow list.

  6. #96
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You asked me what I meant and I told you what I meant in a very short and easy to follow list.
    No. You're obviously still doing the same thing. Instead of laying out your position clearly and presenting arguments supporting it, you continue to just lob out these cryptic one sentence posts that don't really even present your position, let alone an argument.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No. You're obviously still doing the same thing. Instead of laying out your position clearly and presenting arguments supporting it, you continue to just lob out these cryptic one sentence posts that don't really even present your position, let alone an argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by me

    1. Positive rights detail violating rights. How exactly is that hard to understand? Am I to believe you think the right to your property is not violated because the right to an education?

    2. They are created objects by people that usually detail labor and money to exist.
    How is that cryptic?

  8. #98
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    You are talking about a wholesale club. Retail bulk buying marketing techniques encourage over-consumption, this is simply a matter of fact. There is a clear distinction between buying bulk chicken breast and a 64oz mountain dew.
    You need to show me where warehouse clubs encourage over consumption...im not buying that

  9. #99
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How is that cryptic?
    Half those sentences don't even make sense man. "positive rights detail violating rights"? What does that mean? "Am I to believe you think the right to your property is not violated because the right to education?" That doesn't make a lick of sense either. "They are created objects by people that usually detail labor and money to exist"? Again, not a meaningful sentence. It is so thick with grammatical problems that I honestly can't tell what you're trying to say. And it seems like you are using "detail" in a very strange way...

    For example, take your sentence:

    Am I to believe you think the right to your property is not violated because the right to an education?
    We were not talking about anything related to education, so I have to guess how you think that is relevant at all. My guess, and this is quite a leap, is that you are speculating that if there were a right to education that would require taxing people to pay for it, and that would violate their property rights... But I'm really not sure at all if that's what you're thinking, that is a total guess. Your posts are always like that. They require tons of total guessing to try to decipher what you are trying to say.

    And then on top of that confusion and lack of context, it is grammatically hosed. "because the right" doesn't make sense at all. Because people have a right maybe?

    Regardless, if my guess of what you're trying to say there is correct, what is your point? Rights conflict all the time. The right to property isn't absolute, it is weighed against other rights constantly. If we made the right to property absolute that would mean no taxes, and hence no government, and as a result none of us would be able to keep that precious property for long.

    Honestly man, what it comes across as is that you're trying to sound smart by being cryptic. But it creates exactly the opposite impression. Do you know how smart people right? Clearly, plainly and precisely. I shouldn't have to guess anything to understand what you mean, you should just say what you mean as clearly as you can.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  10. #100
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,245

    Re: NYC Soda Ban Could Include Frappucinos And Popcorn At Movie Theaters

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    You need to show me where warehouse clubs encourage over consumption...im not buying that
    I never said that warehouse clubs encourage over consumption. Retail ≠ wholesale.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •