Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

  1. #21
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I get it. This is a thread about the legitimacy of the wars, not about suicides among military personnel. My mistake.

    Commence soapboxing, by all means.
    The connection between the two is what is being discussed at this point. Why, for example, do you think military suicides increased more after 2001 then they did during WWII?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #22
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The connection between the two is what is being discussed at this point. Why, for example, do you think military suicides increased more after 2001 then they did during WWII?
    I think it would be hard to answer that question, considering the VA admits that inaccurate and incomplete records were kept prior to 1960. Studies do indicate, however, that suicide rates for veterans post Vietnam were higher than suicide rates for veterans today.

    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #23
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I think it would be hard to answer that question, considering the VA admits that inaccurate and incomplete records were kept prior to 1960. Studies do indicate, however, that suicide rates for veterans post Vietnam were higher than suicide rates for veterans today.

    Too bad we can't compare the actual numbers between a defensive war like WWII with the optional wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #24
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Too bad we can't compare the actual numbers between a defensive war like WWII with the optional wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
    It's unfortunate we're unable to perpetuate your agenda, I'm sure.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Using military deaths, especially suicides, to make a political point is about as ****ing disgusting as you can get.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Too bad we can't compare the actual numbers between a defensive war like WWII with the optional wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
    Your statement and sentiment are ghoulish and unconscionable. These are the people who protect your freedoms, one of which is the freedom to spout the aforementioned with impunity.

  7. #27
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It's unfortunate we're unable to perpetuate your agenda, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Using military deaths, especially suicides, to make a political point is about as ****ing disgusting as you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Your statement and sentiment are ghoulish and unconscionable. These are the people who protect your freedoms, one of which is the freedom to spout the aforementioned with impunity.

    It seems to me that if the interest is in preventing or even reducing suicides, you would want to examine all possible causes, rather than just saying tsk, tsk, that's war for ya!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #28
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It seems to me that if the interest is in preventing or even reducing suicides, you would want to examine all possible causes, rather than just saying tsk, tsk, that's war for ya!
    Your intent is clear, the "cat is out of the bag" with your qualifying statement, "compare...a defensive war...with the optional wars"....

  9. #29
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Your intent is clear, the "cat is out of the bag" with your qualifying statement, "compare...a defensive war...with the optional wars"....

    That is a load of crap. What is the point of discussing suicides if you have no interest in what causes them?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Military Suicide Rate Surges To Nearly One Per Day This Year

    War is not spreading democracy, nor is it nation building, or winning hearts and minds. War is killing the enemy and destroying his property until he gives up.

    We should not go to war unless there is no other alternative. When we do, it should be with a declaration of war, and the entire country on a war footing.

    In Vietnam, the attempt was made to draft young men against their will and make soldiers out of them. This time around, we're relying on a professional military instead. The new plan has not resulted in the protests of the '60s at least. The problem is, only the military is at war, and they keep being sent back to combat over and over again. No wonder they're stressed out.

    We have the most powerful military on Earth, and we view the soldiers as patriots and heroes, but we don't treat them very well.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •