Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 106

Thread: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers


    A number of conservative bloggers allege they have been targeted through the use of harassment tactics such as SWAT-ting (fooling 911 operators into sending emergency teams to their homes), in retaliation for posts they have written, and now Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., has stepped into the matter. He has sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder urging him to investigate the SWAT-ting cases to see if federal laws have been violated.

    “I am writing with concern regarding recent reports that several members of the community of online political commentators have been targeted with harassing and frightening actions. Any potentially criminal action that incites fear, seeks to silence a dissenting opinion, and collaterally wastes the resources of law enforcement should be given close scrutiny at all levels,” Chambliss wrote.

    Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers - ABC News

    As well as other sites discussed in the article, Patterico and Red State have already been targeted, and these aren't "pizza pranks." In Patterico's case, a phone call was made from inside his home by a man claiming to have killed his wife, but nobody inside the house had phoned. Deputies arrived and helicopters hovered, and the blogger was handcuffed.

    I hope that AG Holder will take an interest in this. In the Red State case, Georgia is well aware of a person of interest. In general, though, if it's a cyber-attack, it could come from anywhere, so the DOJ's active involvement makes sense.
    The SWAT incident with Patterico means that for someone "anything goes." Patterico could have been killed. This is something new.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    That's not necessarily a party line. I belong to no party and yet say that the DOJ's not handling the Philly voter intimidation was wrong. So suggested the United States Commission on Civil Rights. Skip to pages 87-91 to read about the DOJ's "inherent conflict of interest" and its "intransigence and baseless refusals to reply to our supoenas," and etc.

    http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/USCCR_NBPP_report.pdf
    The poster that I was responding to was wrong when he repeated the party line falsehood that the DOJ "threw out the Black Panther Philly voter intimidation case".

    Now I don't really know what your claim means: "the DOJ's not handling the Philly voter intimidation was wrong." but it certainly appears that like the other poster, you too are wrong, and are dangerously close to repeating the same right wing falsehood.

    The facts of the matter are that
    * one NBPP member -- the vocal one with the billy club -- was convicted and served with an injunction,
    * his partner's case was thrown out because he brandished no weapon and was an official poll watcher on top of that (see page 6 of your report) (there was also some confusion in that the DOJ originally thought he lived at that polling location (page 95)),
    * and the cases against the New Black Panther Party itself and the leader of that party were thrown out since there was simply no evidence against them (guilt by association, so popular with the right, is not actually a crime).

    Now, as to your pages -- I read them. I've read that report in the past. They have nothing to do with the actual case; it is merely whining by the commission that the DOJ did not cooperate fully, as I'm sure you well know. So, instead of discussing the case, you deflect to a discussion about the investigation of the case. Therefore I will assume you have no argument about the case itself (since you have not presented one). That's a good thing, since as we can see above, you really don't seem to have a grasp of it. The only gray area is the DOJ letting off Jackson (the cohort); even though his actions were mostly passive, his on-site association with the loud mouth with the billy club would technically be over the line IMHO.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    The SWAT incident with Patterico means that for someone "anything goes." Patterico could have been killed. This is something new.
    I honestly hadn't gotten this far in my thinking until I read GJ Flash's post, and he's right: This is a form of political terrorism. And no matter who's doing it, it's unacceptable.

  4. #54
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    And so the "intransigence" and willful refusal to respond to supoenas is just part of the job?
    It's nothing new. The attacks are largely political too. Remember what people said about Alberto Gonzalez? Some of them had merit, but he picked and chose what he would do.

    Point is you've got political appointees being attacked for political reasons. Why would you expect tht to be apolitical?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I honestly hadn't gotten this far in my thinking until I read GJ Flash's post, and he's right: This is a form of political terrorism. And no matter who's doing it, it's unacceptable.
    It is political terrorism only if it is being done for political reasons.

    Since we do not know why it is being done, the right is up to their usual tricks of spreading irrational fear and -- by blaming it on liberals with no evidence -- propaganda. SOS, DD.

  6. #56
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Well, you don't know what they're doing. Your lack of information is proof of nothing (other than your lack of information). But you've got a good conspiracy theory going, and Sen. Chambliss put out a nice chest thumping press release which I'm sure will rile up his base (always in search of victimhood), so carry on

    How do you know that is why they are being harassed?
    One hell of a lot of circumstantial thats not being investigated very thoroughly by authorities.

    The Profoundly Dishonest Brett Kimberlin : The Other McCain

    The central figure in this is Brett Kimberlin, the speedway bomber.

    Essentially he files suits over and over as a form of lawfare and there is some circumstantial evidence of more shady pressure. His standard mo is to go after people that blog about him and then file harassment charges for telling the truth about his history and criminal background. After he has that information they start getting harassed themselves. With two of the people that have had internet run ins with Kimberlin getting SWATed, its either an amazing coincidence or its something else.

    Poke around, this is specifically about Kimberlin and his associates.

    Karl, Im not sure if you got some background into this, but you dont have the whole story. I probably dont for that matter but I think Ive got more background than you.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Congrats on following the breadcrumbs. Kimberlin was discussed in the OP's link; apparently no one bothered to read it. Too busy concocting a liberal boogyman, it seems.

    But several conservative bloggers have been vocal about who they believe is responsible for the SWAT-tings and other forms of harassment — Brett Kimberlin, a man who was convicted of a series of bombings in Speedway, Indiana in the 1980s and made headlines in 1988 when he claimed to have once sold marijuana to then-vice presidential candidate Dan Quayle.

    The group of conservative bloggers organized “Everybody Blog About Brett Kimberlin Day” on May 25, during which they urged the blogging community to write about the actions of Kimberlin.

    Kimberlin, who is now the director of a non-profit organization called Justice Through Music, told ABC News that he did not commit or ask anyone to conduct the SWAT-ting hoaxes that were perpetrated against Erickson and Frey.

    Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers - ABC News

  8. #58
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Congrats on following the breadcrumbs. Kimberlin was discussed in the OP's link; apparently no one bothered to read it. Too busy concocting a liberal boogyman, it seems.
    I knew the background of this story approximately a week or two ago. The OP link was a continuation of the actions of conservative bloggers to draw attention to Kimberlin's activities and his possible role in the SWATting incidents on Patterico and Erickson.

    I dont think Kimberlin is a true believer in liberal ideaology he just seems like a sociopathic power wielder. His political alliance is liberal but I dont think thats why hes doing this. Its more personal with him.

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It is political terrorism only if it is being done for political reasons.

    Since we do not know why it is being done, the right is up to their usual tricks of spreading irrational fear and -- by blaming it on liberals with no evidence -- propaganda. SOS, DD.
    Oh, please, Karl, just cut the crap. Don't try to place the blame here on "the right." Insofar as I am aware, the "right" hasn't said a freaking word. Unless, of course, you regard the ABC blog "The Note" as a rightwing news outlet.

    What other reason could there be for terroristic attacks on conservative bloggers? Just random weirdos who targeted conservative blogs?This is all just a coinky-dinky?

    You diminish yourself and your platform when you are disingenuous. Better to man up and express your disgust at this tactic--because it could happen to any site, couldn't it?--than to dismiss complaints about this cyber-tactic as "tricks of the right."

    Or "spreading irrational fear." I'm not aware of anybody speading "irrational fear"; this OP simply reported a Senator asking the DOJ to investigate.

    How about getting off your own little agenda and discussing an issue that could have an impact on every POV? How about that?

  10. #60
    Student GJ Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    196
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Senator Asks DOJ to Investigate SWAT-ting Attacks on Conservative Bloggers

    Quote Originally Posted by GJ Flash View Post
    Agreed. Just as they had no business dismissing the Black Panther voter intimidation conviction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    LOL... don't have your facts straight on that case either. Surprise!
    Really? Which fact(s)? That Black Panther voter intimidation crime was "the simplest and most obvious violation of federal law I saw in my Justice Department career," according to one (now former) DoJ attorney. The Black Panthers were charged for their "obvious" crime. What happened then? Anyone?

    If men in white hoods had been standing in front of a polling place in Philly, they would be in jail right now (if not executed on the spot).

    If liberal bloggers were being targeted by political terrorists who were sending armed squads of soldiers to their door in the dead of night, Eric Holder would be all over it. You know it. I know it. You won't accept that fact. I can.

    (You can read the statement by the aforementioned attorney, perhaps you can tell us both where we're wrong.)
    ADAMS: Inside the Black Panther case - Washington Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I don't care what your point is.
    Yes. I know. Which is why this response, like the one above it, isn't really directed at you. Nothing I could ever say would get through to you, there is little point in trying to rationalize with those like you. My comments are mostly for the other people reading the thread, those with the ability to rationalize.
    No offense.
    Last edited by GJ Flash; 06-08-12 at 01:05 PM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •