Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

  1. #21
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    What Romney does with his money is his businss, what obama does with mine is my business, apples oranges. Nice try dan, lol.
    but that wasn't romney's money
    he handed over the check, sure. but it was the taxpayer's money he handed over to them

    what we learn from this is that both candidates are not adverse to investing taxpayer money in green industry
    we learn that they don't always pick winners
    this gives Obama ammo when romney brings up solyndra during the coming debates

    Fact-checkers debunk Mitt Romney?s Solyndra claim - Andrew Restuccia - POLITICO.com
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #22
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,854

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but that wasn't romney's money
    he handed over the check, sure. but it was the taxpayer's money he handed over to them

    what we learn from this is that both candidates are not adverse to investing taxpayer money in green industry
    we learn that they don't always pick winners
    this gives Obama ammo when romney brings up solyndra during the coming debates

    Fact-checkers debunk Mitt Romney?s Solyndra claim - Andrew Restuccia - POLITICO.com
    It's still apples and oranges.

    If the people, the legislature and the governor of MA want to give the state's money to a business, that's fine with me. Presumably they had the money to waste.

    But when the Obama administration gives away the federal taxpayer's money...with no input from the legislature or the people...that's a whole other ballgame. Especially when the government doesn't HAVE the money.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #23
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    It's still apples and oranges.

    If the people, the legislature and the governor of MA want to give the state's money to a business, that's fine with me. Presumably they had the money to waste.

    But when the Obama administration gives away the federal taxpayer's money...with no input from the legislature or the people...that's a whole other ballgame. Especially when the government doesn't HAVE the money.
    let me translate
    state taxpayer money lost investing in green business is ok because romney did it
    federal taxpayer money lost investing in green business is not ok because Obama did it
    got it
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but that wasn't romney's money
    he handed over the check, sure. but it was the taxpayer's money he handed over to them

    what we learn from this is that both candidates are not adverse to investing taxpayer money in green industry
    we learn that they don't always pick winners
    this gives Obama ammo when romney brings up solyndra during the coming debates

    Fact-checkers debunk Mitt Romney?s Solyndra claim - Andrew Restuccia - POLITICO.com
    I didn't see anything in your link indicating it wasn't Romney money, if it was state money, did I miss something?

  5. #25
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I didn't see anything in your link indicating it wasn't Romney money, if it was state money, did I miss something?
    here you go:
    Romney ... promoted state aid during a January 2003 press conference in Lowell, according to a statement from Ameresco Inc. (AMRC), a Framingham, Massachusetts-based company that also won state help. Romney took over as governor that month.
    Romney gave Konarka of Lowell, Massachusetts, a $1.5 million loan, part of $9 million in state financing to clean- energy companies. Romney also announced that a restructured green fund would provide $15 million in support for renewable energy in the state.
    Romney-Backed Solar Company Fails Days After He Faulted Solyndra - Bloomberg
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #26
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but that wasn't romney's money
    he handed over the check, sure. but it was the taxpayer's money he handed over to them

    what we learn from this is that both candidates are not adverse to investing taxpayer money in green industry
    we learn that they don't always pick winners
    this gives Obama ammo when romney brings up solyndra during the coming debates

    Fact-checkers debunk Mitt Romney?s Solyndra claim - Andrew Restuccia - POLITICO.com
    Ok, the Massachusets legislature (while romeny was Governor) funded 1.5 mil to a company that lasted years afterwards, and President Obama funded $535 million to a company that lasted less than a year afterwards....that's the same thing to you?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #27
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce


    How many days after the loan did it last?

    Oh, and by the way...Konarka repaid it's loan well before going under...
    Last edited by mac; 06-06-12 at 11:38 AM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Interesting to know Romney used state money to support green energy and I would think you libs would support him for this, not bash him. A big difference with Obama and Solyndra though is Solyndra was given millions after Obama was warned by his own people that the company was failing and a bad investment. That coupled with the fact that Solyndra was owned by an Obama bundler still makes this apples and oranges. I personally don’t have a problem with tax payer help to develop new energy forms if they show promise and seem like money well invested, Solyndra was precisely the opposite.

  9. #29
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Ok, the Massachusets legislature (while romeny was Governor) funded 1.5 mil to a company that lasted years afterwards, and President Obama funded $535 million to a company that lasted less than a year afterwards....that's the same thing to you?
    different order of magnitude of failed investment, but otherwise, absolutely the same
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #30
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,854

    Re: Romney-backed solar firm flops, Dems pounce

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let me translate
    state taxpayer money lost investing in green business is ok because romney did it
    federal taxpayer money lost investing in green business is not ok because Obama did it
    got it
    You have a failure to translate, Sir.

    Here is the proper translation:

    MA, it's citizens, it's legislature decide to provide state money to green businesses. Romney delivers the check. What MA does with their own money...and the risks they take with it...doesn't concern me since I don't live in MA and it's not MY money they are using. Furthermore, since they are a State, they are required to actually HAVE the money they are giving away.

    On the other hand...

    Obama and his administration, without the approval of the nation's citizens or legislators, gives away half a billion dollars to one company...money the federal government DOESN'T have...and must borrow.

    If Obama were the governor of some state and did what Romney did...I wouldn't give a rat's ass...as long as it's not in Colorado.

    If Romney were President and did what Obama did...I'd try to boot him out of Office.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •