Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?
    Yes.

    They need to ban oddball orange juice containers too. Just give me my straight up half gallon. Jeez, wtf?

  2. #22
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,688

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Have we discovered, after millions in gov't funded research, that large servings of soda pop at movies, delis and restaraunts are the 'root cause' of obesity? Have we determined that a 16 oz. (per serving) size maximum will, in fact, stop "Porky" from simply buying two (or more) sodas during a meal or a movie? Have we decided that food stamp users, based on the classic argument (excuse?) for many such food aid users must shop at 'convenience' stores, should spend more on soda pop, and buying the "economy size" should be no longer an option for them? Do we really want more smaller soda containers in our landfills? As with many gov't regulations that sound "oh so good", they often require many more "follow on regulations" to correct the unintended consequences of the first. This is an insane law.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #23
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    There already is a 25 page long thread on this topic:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...ry-drinks.html

  4. #24
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?


    When did Americans become so stupid, they vote in idiots who believe they're kings and think it fine? You can't buy and consume a 64oz soda!

    I refuse to ride the "Lemming Train", but don't let me stop those that need this type direction, in their daily lives to exist from day to day!

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Mayor Bloomberg strikes back!
    NY mayor blasts sugar ban critics: "That's a lot of soda" - Yahoo! News

    Bloomberg said that the proposal was aimed towards the city's poorer residents who may not have a sophisticated understanding of nutrition.
    Then do an education program and leave us alone otherwise.


    Bloomberg went on to compare controversy over the proposal to his 2002 ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

    "You think this was bad?" Bloomberg asked. With the smoking ban, "everybody was opposed to it. today, virtually every major city in America does it ... whole countries!
    The primary argument against smoking is bars is not for the smoker, but for the other people who breathe in second-hand smoke. There is no such thing as second-hand soda, so this argument is a huge fail.


    "Nobody is taking away any of your rights," Bloomberg said later in the broadcast. "This way, we're just telling you ‘That's a lot of soda.'"
    Liar. You're taking away people's right to make their own decisions regarding how much in volume of certain drinks they choose to consume.
    Last edited by radcen; 06-01-12 at 05:34 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    the intent is good.

    the method is bad.

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the intent is good.

    the method is bad.
    The intent is indeed noble, I'll grant that. But, yeah, the method is over-the-line.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    The trouble isn't the big sodas. It's the mentality behind them, where we want more more MORE! We aren't satisfied with smaller portions, and so we're a nation with an obesity epidemic. Also, let's be honest. Soda isn't that expensive to make. Look at the pricing models in the movie theatre for the best example. 6 bucks for a "small". Then another dollar for one size up. Think you're really getting another dollar's worth of soda? I think not! They make a bigger profit when they sell you a bigger soda, so the more reasonable sized options aren't even there anymore. It's the profiteering, and the preoccupation with big-ness that's our problem. The trouble runs much deeper than the big sodas.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The trouble isn't the big sodas. It's the mentality behind them, where we want more more MORE! We aren't satisfied with smaller portions, and so we're a nation with an obesity epidemic. Also, let's be honest. Soda isn't that expensive to make. Look at the pricing models in the movie theatre for the best example. 6 bucks for a "small". Then another dollar for one size up. Think you're really getting another dollar's worth of soda? I think not! They make a bigger profit when they sell you a bigger soda, so the more reasonable sized options aren't even there anymore. It's the profiteering, and the preoccupation with big-ness that's our problem. The trouble runs much deeper than the big sodas.
    I used to own a restaurant, albeit 20 years ago, and I can attest that soda is not that expensive. At least not in relation to other overhead and other food items. In fact, it's one of the highest profit items for a restaurant. Many restaurants now, chains, etc, especially, run an almost zero profit on their main food to entice people in then hit them hard for drinks and other side items.

    Changing tangent, I think the attack on sodas and other sugary drinks is off-target. Yes, they're the obvious and most-easily demonized examples, but sugar and sweeteners has pervaded almost everything that is pre-packaged and processed. As just one example, when is the last time you looked at the ingredients on a jar of spaghetti sauce? High fructose corn syrup will be one of the first, if not THE first, ingredient listed. Do we really need that much sugar in pasta sauce? And where's the outrage on that?

    I am not one who will trot into a thread and smugly proclaim how better I am because I don't "eat that crap", but I can claim that I do make my own pasta sauce precisely to avoid all the unnecessary sugar and sweeteners. Have been doing it for about 5 years now.
    Last edited by radcen; 06-01-12 at 06:18 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should those 64 oz. sodas be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the intent is good.
    Perhaps they can use those good intentions to pave a road to hell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •