Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: A Statement from Americans Elect

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    A Statement from Americans Elect

    There is a desire among Delegates and millions of Americans who have supported Americans Elect to see a credible candidate emerge from this process.

    However, the rules, as developed in consultation with the Americans Elect Delegates, are clear. As of this week, no candidate achieved the national support threshold required to enter the Americans Elect Online Convention in June. The primary process for the Americans Elect nomination has come to an end.
    Americans Elect has decided not to field a candidate this year, the reason being that there was a lack of interest. So I have my own statement to make to Americans. If Obama is reelected, or if Romney beats him and is elected, and you happen to be one of the ones who didn't vote for either, don't bitch about government being ****ed up. Obama and Romney are not the problem. YOU ARE!! When you don't give a **** long enough to turn off Dancing with the Stars and get your flabby ass off the couch just long enough to vote or otherwise participate, then you deserve the government you end up getting. Stop whining about your government. By your inaction YOU helped to create it, so just shut your ****ing mouth. I don't want to hear it. Just live with what you helped to create, and may God have mercy on your pathetic soul.

    /rant
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Americans Elect has decided not to field a candidate this year, the reason being that there was a lack of interest. So I have my own statement to make to Americans. If Obama is reelected, or if Romney beats him and is elected, and you happen to be one of the ones who didn't vote for either, don't bitch about government being ****ed up. Obama and Romney are not the problem. YOU ARE!! When you don't give a **** long enough to turn off Dancing with the Stars and get your flabby ass off the couch just long enough to vote or otherwise participate, then you deserve the government you end up getting. Stop whining about your government. By your inaction YOU helped to create it, so just shut your ****ing mouth. I don't want to hear it. Just live with what you helped to create, and may God have mercy on your pathetic soul.

    /rant
    I disagree with you.

    I think more of them are watching American Idol than Dancing with the Stars.

  3. #3
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    I have a dear friend who is 67 ive known him all my life, he has never voted. He has never registered to vote and he PISS"S me off because hes one of the most politically opinionated guys i know...I said eddie why DONT YOU VOTE...he pat answer is for what, doesnt do any good...then STFU lol....

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    wow. this is somewhat surprising. i was under the impression that the organization was going to have a candidate on the ballot in most states.

    the duopoly lives on without competition, unfortunately.

  5. #5
    Advisor NAKED N00B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-24-13 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    386
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    It was a huge failure because we already have a centrist candidate. He's running for the Democrats.

  6. #6
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Americans Elect has decided not to field a candidate this year, the reason being that there was a lack of interest. So I have my own statement to make to Americans. If Obama is reelected, or if Romney beats him and is elected, and you happen to be one of the ones who didn't vote for either, don't bitch about government being ****ed up. Obama and Romney are not the problem. YOU ARE!! When you don't give a **** long enough to turn off Dancing with the Stars and get your flabby ass off the couch just long enough to vote or otherwise participate, then you deserve the government you end up getting. Stop whining about your government. By your inaction YOU helped to create it, so just shut your ****ing mouth. I don't want to hear it. Just live with what you helped to create, and may God have mercy on your pathetic soul.

    /rant
    Go **** yourself.

    The reason why third party candidates can't get elected isn't because of voter disinterest. It's because the voting system we have inherently disallows it. Read here and learn a little bit of the science behind political science.

    Duverger's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    See? It's basic math. If you have a voting system that counts only whichever candidate has a plurality of votes even if they don't have a majority of votes in one round of voting, then a two-party system will naturally emerge.

    Lack of third-party support isn't because voters don't care about their issues. It's because of the reality of math.

    So if you want to truly get third-parties involved in the American political system then stop bitching at other people and instead lobby for voting reform that allows two-round elections or instant run-off voting.

    This is why the Libertarian Party has been supporting the Free State Project in New Hampshire - to get enough libertarians concentrated in a small state that they can get somebody elected to Congress. If we had two-round elections or IRV elections, or a state-wide party proportional system instead of a single-member district system, we wouldn't have to worry about the full political will of the people not being represented.

    And, to be fair to the voters, it's not their fault that CNN and MSNBC and Fox News change the rules on third party candidates so they never get the media exposure they need to get their platform out there. Private companies make the rules on debates, and they are going to manipulate that rules however they want. That's not the fault of the people.

    So don't blame me or others for **** beyond our control. Instead, educate yourself on the mechanics of the system involved, and then focus your efforts on changing those mechanics in a way that actually deals with the issues at hand.

    And for as long as you continue to bitch at everyone else for things that aren't their fault, feel free to go **** yourself.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #7
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Go **** yourself.

    The reason why third party candidates can't get elected isn't because of voter disinterest. It's because the voting system we have inherently disallows it. Read here and learn a little bit of the science behind political science.

    Duverger's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    See? It's basic math. If you have a voting system that counts only whichever candidate has a plurality of votes even if they don't have a majority of votes in one round of voting, then a two-party system will naturally emerge.

    Lack of third-party support isn't because voters don't care about their issues. It's because of the reality of math.

    So if you want to truly get third-parties involved in the American political system then stop bitching at other people and instead lobby for voting reform that allows two-round elections or instant run-off voting.

    This is why the Libertarian Party has been supporting the Free State Project in New Hampshire - to get enough libertarians concentrated in a small state that they can get somebody elected to Congress. If we had two-round elections or IRV elections, or a state-wide party proportional system instead of a single-member district system, we wouldn't have to worry about the full political will of the people not being represented.

    And, to be fair to the voters, it's not their fault that CNN and MSNBC and Fox News change the rules on third party candidates so they never get the media exposure they need to get their platform out there. Private companies make the rules on debates, and they are going to manipulate that rules however they want. That's not the fault of the people.

    So don't blame me or others for **** beyond our control. Instead, educate yourself on the mechanics of the system involved, and then focus your efforts on changing those mechanics in a way that actually deals with the issues at hand.

    And for as long as you continue to bitch at everyone else for things that aren't their fault, feel free to go **** yourself.

    Theres also the problem of any 3rd party candidate gathering up millions and millions to campaign with...none to date have been able to comepete since perot...who was quite rich and spent millions of his own and still didnt get anywhere...
    Lets face it...the two parties are going to fight to the end to keep it just like it is....that why there still not only isnt campaign reform...its worse than it ever was...

  8. #8
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Theres also the problem of any 3rd party candidate gathering up millions and millions to campaign with...none to date have been able to comepete since perot...who was quite rich and spent millions of his own and still didnt get anywhere...
    Lets face it...the two parties are going to fight to the end to keep it just like it is....that why there still not only isnt campaign reform...its worse than it ever was...
    In my opinion, third party candidates running for president is a stupid idea. In order to win, the candidate must get one more vote than the majority (or 268) of electoral votes. If that doesn't happen then the vote is thrown to the House of Representatives where partisan voices will rule the day.


  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Theres also the problem of any 3rd party candidate gathering up millions and millions to campaign with...none to date have been able to comepete since perot...who was quite rich and spent millions of his own and still didnt get anywhere...
    Lets face it...the two parties are going to fight to the end to keep it just like it is....that why there still not only isnt campaign reform...its worse than it ever was...
    There's also the problem of the winner-take-all of a state's electoral votes. In this system, a candidate can lose by a landslide in one state and barely squeak through in a state with one more electoral vote and he still wins, though if that pattern is repeated he is not very popular. Also, the voters in a state sure to go for one candidate have no reason to waste their vote, while those on that candidate's side won't go out of their way to vote if their guy is sure to win anyway. This unrepresentative system makes the candidates concentrate on the toss-up states to the detriment of the committed states.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  10. #10
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    346

    Re: A Statement from Americans Elect

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Americans Elect has decided not to field a candidate this year, the reason being that there was a lack of interest. So I have my own statement to make to Americans. If Obama is reelected, or if Romney beats him and is elected, and you happen to be one of the ones who didn't vote for either, don't bitch about government being ****ed up. Obama and Romney are not the problem. YOU ARE!! When you don't give a **** long enough to turn off Dancing with the Stars and get your flabby ass off the couch just long enough to vote or otherwise participate, then you deserve the government you end up getting. Stop whining about your government. By your inaction YOU helped to create it, so just shut your ****ing mouth. I don't want to hear it. Just live with what you helped to create, and may God have mercy on your pathetic soul.
    Let’s see! Not understanding what you are trying to put forth. Notice parts in blue.
    1. Is this directed at “Americans Elect?” If so, why not send them a letter through the Postal Service expressing your concern.
    2. Are you implying not voting for either candidate (the wording is indicative) automatically puts them in the category of “couch potatoes” and/or “inactive” list?
    Other options are available to the voting public. Would having put a write-in candidate several times be considered a “non-participant?”
    A write-in may not win and some may consider it a wasted vote, but to the person casting the ballot it’s just as meaningful as it is a vote for the candidate they have chosen.
    So in summary are you saying by not voting for either candidate, a person doesn’t have the right to complain?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •