Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 238

Thread: NAACP backs gay marriage

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    To wit, the NAACP never approved of gay marriage until President Obama, whom they have an interest in winning because he's black, approved of it. Therefore, their view of SSM was always no because it reflected the beliefs of the people they represent, black people. Now that the candidate they want to win is in support of it, they do support it. That would be the pretense of having beliefs or principles one does not actually possess would it not?
    Your logic is really failing.

    First, the NAACP hasn't even agreed with everything Obama said so the idea that they support him on this just because he's black is beyond stupid.

    Second, the black population, like the rest of the country, has grown increasingly more supportive of gay marriage. In fact, according to the poll that has been posted several times and you've ignored, 53% of blacks support Obama's statement on gay marriage. Therefore, it's not surprising that the NAACP is growing the hell up like the rest of the country.

    Third, the NAACP is not about gay marriage. It's about civil rights and black-specific issues like hate crimes and housing discrimination. The idea that they can't support SSM and still represent much of the black population is beyond nonsensical as is the idea that the black population is monolithic which you apparently seem to think it is.

  2. #62
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
    I think that some will begin to use this as an argument that the NAACP no longer represents the interests of the African-American community. And perhaps, given the voting by African-Americans on this issue, they would be right.
    You are dangerously close to calling same sex marriage a racial issue when you make arguments like these.

    Here is a surprising fact...there are gay people who are black. Just something to consider.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-20-12 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #63
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    Here comes the cliche'...but I don't know how else to say it so...........


    I have OODLES of black friends. ALL of them are for gay marriage. They know what it feels like to be discriminated against, I guess. So it comes as a surprise that others are surprised or think blacks are against gay marriage.
    Stats support my dear. I don't agree with it, but stats support it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Stats support my dear. I don't agree with it, but stats support it.
    Not really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    More than half of all African Americans in the poll back the president’s statement: 54 percent have favorable impressions; 37 percent unfavorable ones

    Voters split on Obama's gay marriage announcement - Behind the Numbers - The Washington Post
    Black attitudes towards SSM have been rapidly changing just like the rest of the country.

  5. #65
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
    I think that some will begin to use this as an argument that the NAACP no longer represents the interests of the African-American community. And perhaps, given the voting by African-Americans on this issue, they would be right.
    Well, my college is starting up a NAACP student chapter this fall and what I've heard from the county NAACP leadership is that the NAACP has moved on in a way to become a general civil rights group for everyone rather than one exclusively for black people.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #66
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Your logic is really failing.

    First, the NAACP hasn't even agreed with everything Obama said so the idea that they support him on this just because he's black is beyond stupid.
    I would challenge you to find me an issue that the NAACP contested the President on. Not a person in the NAACP. The NAACP as an organization. This is the exact reason they have made themselves irrelevant. They will support anyone due to the color of their skin even if it disagrees with what the majority of the people they represent believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Second, the black population, like the rest of the country, has grown increasingly more supportive of gay marriage. In fact, according to the poll that has been posted several times and you've ignored, 53% of blacks support Obama's statement on gay marriage. Therefore, it's not surprising that the NAACP is growing the hell up like the rest of the country.
    You're preaching to the choir about SSM. I am actually someone who used to oppose it but began looking at the individual liberty's involved and changed my stance.
    As far as the 53%. You proved my point for me. That poll shifted 11% the day after President Obama came out in support of SSM. I stated earlier that I believe the POTUS saying that would swing the vote at least 10%. I said earlier that we don't need to look at that as much as the polls showing how much they are against homosexuality as a whole. Proof of that is in one of my earlier posts. As much as 70% (in some polls) do not approve of homosexuality and think it is immoral. The media is cherrypicking stats, polls, and interviews with black leaders who approve of SSM. I still believe that. I could be wrong but I've never seen a group of people shift their opinion of something that fast. I would like to see who they polled and where the polling occured.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Third, the NAACP is not about gay marriage. It's about civil rights and black-specific issues like hate crimes and housing discrimination. The idea that they can't support SSM and still represent much of the black population is beyond nonsensical as is the idea that the black population is monolithic which you apparently seem to think it is.
    I know the NAACP is not about gay marriage. It's about representing the black community on issues that pertain to them. Apparently everybody (including the NAACP themselves) thinks SSM pertains to them right now just because the black President came out in support of it. I will say it again. Blacks, as a whole, do not approve of homosexuality. So, the NAACP is not representing their people as they should. I don't know why the NAACP even felt the need to address it, but, they did and here we are. I am aware blacks are not monolithic. If you were aware of this you wouldn't use polls showing 53% would you? If you want to use stats and poll, then the monolithic point needs to be laid to rest now. I don't believe in black, gay, women's, etc rights anyway. I believe in individual liberties and rights, no matter the version of human you are. That's where the monolithic crap comes from. We try to fit everyone into a group, party, or race so we can track them and have stats on them. That's where we go wrong.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #67
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Not really.



    Black attitudes towards SSM have been rapidly changing just like the rest of the country.
    Go back and look at the post I made to Thunder on the very fist page of this thread. I'm not posting all that stuff again. You have one poll supporting what you say. I have years of polls supporting my claim.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #68
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Go back and look at the post I made to Thunder on the very fist page of this thread. I'm not posting all that stuff again. You have one poll supporting what you say. I have years of polls supporting my claim.
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that people's attitudes can change over time.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You are dangerously close to calling same sex marriage a racial issue when you make arguments like these.

    Here is a surprising fact...there are gay people who are black. Just something to consider.
    Yeah, pretty sure that the guy from CNN who interviewed Julian Bond yesterday is.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that people's attitudes can change over time.
    Yeah, that was my entire point to him. Attitudes are changing. I don't know why he has a problem acknowledging that.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •