Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 238

Thread: NAACP backs gay marriage

  1. #211
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The application of the Bible to one's life may be different from person to person. I could read one verse and another guy read the same one and it apply to my life differently. But it still says the same thing. Like I said, I read the Bible for what it says. Your interpretation argument holds no water because we could say that about every single thing in the world. The fact is that God gave us the ability to know what is and what isn't. Sure, some people will twist the Bible to fit the needs of their particular religion. People twist the Constitution to do that same. People twist laws in the same manner. Those same people that twist the Bible to fit their needs will answer for it. Your scientists interpret what you call "proof" to say what they want it to. We could go in circles all day with this.

    You don't need a degree to read the Bible, that's the beauty of it. Anyone can pick up a Bible, read it, and at least understand the basic premises of it. I HIGHLY doubt that you could pick up a geologists or scientists report on carbon dating and the mathematical equations used to accomplish it and walk away saying "Ooooooh, now it makes sense."



    Define being led astray please.

    1) You answered your initial question with the "copout" you call Jesus.
    2) The level of natural disaster's we see today are miniscule compared to something like the great flood. Other than that, I haven't seen any widespread plagues or natural disasters that have taken out tens of thousands of people for awhile.
    3) Do you entertain the thoughts of every nut you hear about? Or is it you just listen to the ones that are using the Bible as a backdrop to justify your feelings against Christianity?

    Actually, the great flood wasn't within the bounds of anyone's physics. It's never happened again. Parting the Red Sea has never happened again. I could keep going.
    Is there really evidence of evolution or is it something humans invented? Again, you give your fellow man more credit that he deserves in comparison to God.

    So how the heck do you "learn" from other lives as you said earlier if you don't even know it happened? Learning requires memory correct? Also, what historical documents do you have backing that there are other planets/galaxies with life forms on them? What evidence of other dimensions do you have?
    All this comes down to believing certain men. I prefer to believe the ones that have actual evidence to support them and not those who wrote what they wrote long ago without any knowledge of the world and have very little evidence at all for what they believe happened or believe God told them.

    Plus, do you understand how the subconscious works? You don't remember much of your life, particularly a lot of those basics and early experiences that shaped your current life. So why do you assume that a soul couldn't work the same way?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #212
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Plus, do you understand how the subconscious works? You don't remember much of your life, particularly a lot of those basics and early experiences that shaped your current life. So why do you assume that a soul couldn't work the same way?
    So, conceivably, a perfect human being could result from your idea of reincarnation. If the world is millions of years old, as you claim, how long does it take to be perfect?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #213
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    So, conceivably, a perfect human being could result from your idea of reincarnation. If the world is millions of years old, as you claim, how long does it take to be perfect?
    Actually, since I believe eventually a soul will end up in an eternal place of peace, such as heaven, once they find their soul mate and grow to a point of true enlightenment, they should find their peace in that place. Plus, you seem to have forgotten that I said it was not likely a soul went on to non-sentient beings, so you could only count up to the point where humans/beings of earth became sentient.

    I don't claim to know everything and absolutely admit I may be wrong. But I do believe that I am right about the Bible. I can't accept any deity that requires me to believe absolutely in Her/Him without more proof than the words of people who claim to have spoken with Him/Her. That is not proof. Specifically when some of what they said is easily proven wrong through science and which isn't that much different than claims of other people of different religions in their own explanations for things they could not otherwise understand.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #214
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, since I believe eventually a soul will end up in an eternal place of peace, such as heaven, once they find their soul mate and grow to a point of true enlightenment, they should find their peace in that place. Plus, you seem to have forgotten that I said it was not likely a soul went on to non-sentient beings, so you could only count up to the point where humans/beings of earth became sentient.

    I don't claim to know everything and absolutely admit I may be wrong. But I do believe that I am right about the Bible. I can't accept any deity that requires me to believe absolutely in Her/Him without more proof than the words of people who claim to have spoken with Him/Her. That is not proof. Specifically when some of what they said is easily proven wrong through science and which isn't that much different than claims of other people of different religions in their own explanations for things they could not otherwise understand.
    You do know that the Bible existed before any other religious documents correct? So, who's religion is based off who's? What proof do you have of your god?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #215
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You do know that the Bible existed before any other religious documents correct? So, who's religion is based off who's? What proof do you have of your god?
    An interesting claim. I was curious, to I did a search. This was form the first link:

    The Rigveda of Hinduism is proposed to have been composed between 1700–1100 BCE[2] making it possibly the world's oldest religious text still in use

    Religious text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #216
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    An interesting claim. I was curious, to I did a search. This was form the first link:

    The Rigveda of Hinduism is proposed to have been composed between 1700–1100 BCE[2] making it possibly the world's oldest religious text still in use

    Religious text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Of all the ancient writings, most scholars agree that the Old Testament of the Bible is the oldest of religious books.
    Is the Bible the Oldest Religious Book?
    Last edited by MarineTpartier; 06-03-12 at 04:17 AM.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #217
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You do know that the Bible existed before any other religious documents correct? So, who's religion is based off who's? What proof do you have of your god?
    Religions existed prior to the Bible. The Bible didn't actually exist until well after Jesus was crucified. Just because it was the first religious book does not mean it was the first religious texts. Of course, many religions were word of mouth or written in pictures. That doesn't make them any less of religions.

    I have no more proof of my God than you do of yours.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #218
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Of all the ancient writings, most scholars agree that the Old Testament of the Bible is the oldest of religious books.
    Is the Bible the Oldest Religious Book?
    We don't need actual religious books or texts to tell us about a culture's religious beliefs. Many texts that were not mainly religious in nature included a lot of those cultures' religious beliefs within those texts. That tells us some of what they believed and why.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Of all the ancient writings, most scholars agree that the Old Testament of the Bible is the oldest of religious books.
    Is the Bible the Oldest Religious Book?
    Your source is a little suspect. But, lets look at the dates:

    Of all the ancient writings, most scholars agree that the Old Testament of the Bible is the oldest of religious books. It was first written at 1000 BC through 500 BC and the words were given by God to its writers. In comparison, most others are relatively young.

    Now, the hindism above is sited at 1700–1100 BCE. Which is older?

    Now, you can do a search on this text, and you will find all of them putting it as older. I have no dog in this fight, but it seems a silly claim when it is so easy to find tests older.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #220
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Religions existed prior to the Bible. The Bible didn't actually exist until well after Jesus was crucified. Just because it was the first religious book does not mean it was the first religious texts. Of course, many religions were word of mouth or written in pictures. That doesn't make them any less of religions.

    I have no more proof of my God than you do of yours.
    The texts were written prior to Jesus's death. It's funny that you'll believe the historical documents on one group of men (scientists) but not another (writers of the Bible). Still doesn't make sense to me. Whatever, have a good one. Thanks for staying civil in this debate.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •