Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 238

Thread: NAACP backs gay marriage

  1. #161
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    No I don't.

    The null hypothesis is people reproduce heterosexually. Homosexuals need to prove the alternative in saying they're just as competent.
    Plenty of research shows that.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How is it interpretation? The Bible either says it or it doesn't. I get the feeling the Bible could say "I, the Lord, do not agree with slavery." and you would doubt it and say "He didn't say what kind". You are looking for reason to doubt therefore you will find it even if it doesn't exist.

    I never said anything about homosexuality in that post.....I said something about interracial/interfaith marriage.

    Did you not read my post? The example of a child and his parents?
    The bible has a dozen different versions and has been translated through several different languages over thousands of years. There's plenty open to interpretation.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #162
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How is it interpretation? The Bible either says it or it doesn't. I get the feeling the Bible could say "I, the Lord, do not agree with slavery." and you would doubt it and say "He didn't say what kind". You are looking for reason to doubt therefore you will find it even if it doesn't exist.

    I never said anything about homosexuality in that post.....I said something about interracial/interfaith marriage.

    Did you not read my post? The example of a child and his parents?
    Because any time you read a book, even the Bible, there is an interpretation even when it is in your own language. The fact that the Bible has been translated multiple times from the original language it was written in absolutely means that certain things could have been changed.

    I personally don't think God approves of slavery, but that belief does not come from the Bible at all. I can see though how some may feel that the Bible does allow for slavery. It doesn't take too much reading into the OT to see that God didn't have too much of a problem with people owning slaves. And since many people who read the Bible cherry pick it anyway, who are you to tell them they are wrong in what they want to condone? Should I and others not have the same right to point out where you may be wrong in the interpretation that makes homosexuality a sin?

    And I did read your metaphor. It did not relate to what I had posted. If you are wrong and God really does disapprove of your marriage to your wife because she was not originally of your faith or still really isn't, then you really couldn't know for sure til God judges you for it, which would likely occur in heaven, not here on Earth. Personally, I don't believe God cares if two people of different faiths marry as long as they can make it work. But I also don't believe God cares if two people of the same sex love each other and would fully support them getting married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    "Scientific research has been generally consistent in showing that gay and lesbian parents are as fit and capable as heterosexual parents, and their children are as psychologically healthy and well-adjusted as children reared by heterosexual parents.[3][4][5] Major associations of mental health professionals in the U.S., Canada, and Australia have not identified credible empirical research that suggests otherwise.[5][6][7][8][9] Based on the robust nature of the evidence available in the field, Third District Court of Appeal State of Florida was satisfied in 2010 that the issue is so far beyond dispute that it would be irrational to hold otherwise; the best interests of children are not preserved by prohibiting homosexual adoption."

    LGBT parenting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The citations are at the bottom.
    I'm sorry, but when I read a study like this (number 4), it's complete crap:

    http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/...Lit-Review.pdf

    The study doesn't provide any experimental design or data at all. It just cites hundreds of authorities and provides qualitative conclusions. It doesn't explain HOW homosexual versus heterosexual parenting evaluation takes place.

    It looks pretty, but there's no meat and taters.

  4. #164
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    I'm sorry, but when I read a study like this (number 4), it's complete crap:

    http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/...Lit-Review.pdf

    The study doesn't provide any experimental design or data at all. It just cites hundreds of authorities and provides qualitative conclusions. It doesn't explain HOW homosexual versus heterosexual parenting evaluation takes place.

    It looks pretty, but there's no meat and taters.
    If you want, look up all those hundreds of reports and studies. The APS CREATED that to collect the information, now conduct more experimentation.

    And that's one of nine. Keep trying, but the data's there.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  5. #165
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    I'm sorry, but when I read a study like this (number 4), it's complete crap:

    http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/...Lit-Review.pdf

    The study doesn't provide any experimental design or data at all. It just cites hundreds of authorities and provides qualitative conclusions. It doesn't explain HOW homosexual versus heterosexual parenting evaluation takes place.

    It looks pretty, but there's no meat and taters.
    There is over 30 years of evidence on this matter. If you can't find it, then it is because you aren't looking very hard.

    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_pare2.htm

    Comments on same-sex parenting by professional associations:

    1976-SEP: American Psychological Association (APA): They issued a policy statement on child custody or placement which said: "The sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation of natural, or prospective adoptive or foster parents should not be the sole or primary variable considered in custody or placement cases." 2

    1998: The Child Welfare League of America: Their Standards of Excellence for Adoption Services states:

    "Applicants should be assessed on the basis of their abilities to successfully parent a child needing family membership and not on their race, ethnicity or culture, income, age, marital status, religion, appearance, differing lifestyles, or sexual orientation." Further, applicants for adoption should be accepted 'on the basis of an individual assessment of their capacity to understand and meet the needs of a particular available child at the point of adoption and in the future.' " 3

    1998-AUG-16: American Psychological Association (APA): They issued a statement titled "Legal Benefits for Same - Sex Couples" which said, in part:

    "Whereas the scientific literature has found no significant difference between different-sex couples and same-sex couples that justify discrimination...";

    "Whereas scientific research has not found significant psychological or emotional differences between the children raised in different-sex versus same-sex households..."

    "Therefore, be it resolved, That APA supports the provision to same-sex couples of the legal benefits that typically accrue as a result of marriage to same-sex couples who desire and seek the legal benefits;..." 4

    1998-MAR-14: North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC): The NACAC issued a policy statement which states:

    "Everyone with the potential to successfully parent a child in foster care and adoption is entitled to fair and equal consideration regardless of sexual orientation or differing life style or physical appearance." 5

    2000-MAY: American Psychiatric Association (APA): In their FactSHEET on gay, lesbian and bisexual issues, they write:

    "Numerous studies have shown that the children of gay parents are as likely to be healthy and well adjusted as children raised in heterosexual households. children raised in gay or lesbian household do not show any greater incidence of homosexuality of gender identity issues than other children. Children raised in nontraditional homes with gay/lesbian parents can encounter some special challenges related to the ongoing stigma against homosexuality, but most children surmount these problems." 6

    2001-APR: National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) NARTH is a very small association of therapists, social workers, religious leaders, teachers, and anyone else who is interested in supporting NARTH, regardless of whether they have academic qualifications. Unlike all of the other mental-heath association in the U.S., they promote the concept that homosexuality abnormal, unnatural and changeable. It is regarded as a "failure to function according to design." 7 They believe that "Homosexuality distorts the natural bond of friendship that would naturally unite persons of the same sex." Consistent with this stand, they take a dim view of same-sex marriage and parenting, stating that: "[Homosexuality]... threatens the continuity of traditional male-female marriage--a bond which is naturally anchored by the complementarity of the sexes, and has long been considered essential for the protection of children." They also stated: "And despite what many gender researchers claim, research tells us that the absence of a father in the home is not, on balance, good for families." 8

    2002-FEB-4: American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): The Dr. Ellen Perrin, led the Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health at the AAP. They studied adoption by same-sex parents. Her prime task was to determine if there is a disadvantage conferred upon a child who is being raised by two men or two women, in comparison to the same child being raised by a man and woman. Perrin said: "We felt that the data were very conclusive that the answer to that question is 'no.' " Thus, the AAP will support legal and legislative efforts to allow adoption by gay and lesbian couples. Perrin said: "We -- meaning basically the Academy of Pediatrics -- felt that the research was conclusive enough when taken in its totality to support this policy." 9 An AAP news release of 2002-FEB-4 states:

    "...there is a considerable body of professional literature that suggests children with parents who are homosexual have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment and development as children whose parents are heterosexual."

    "Coparent or second-parent adoption protects a child's right to maintain continuing relationships with both parents in a same-sex relationship. Several states have considered or enacted legislation sanctioning coparent or second parent adoption by partners of the same sex. But other states have not yet considered legislative action, while at least one state bans adoptions altogether by the second parent or coparent in a same sex relationship." 10

    They published a technical report in the 2002-FEB issue of Pediatrics, a peer-reviewed journal. The abstract reads:

    ABSTRACT. "A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that children who grow up with 1 or 2 gay and/or lesbian parents fare as well in emotional, cognitive, social, and sexual functioning as do children whose parents are heterosexual. Children's optimal development seems to be influenced more by the nature of the relationships and interactions within the family unit than by the particular structural form it takes." 11

    2002-JUN: The American Psychoanalytic Association endorsed same-sex parenting. It is the smallest of the three APA's which also include the American Psychiatric Association and the American Psychological Association. According to Focus on the Family, they have "given unqualified endorsement to homosexual adoption and parenting. The group says sexual orientation shouldn't even be considered in legal decisions concerning parenting." The Association's statement says, in part: "Gay and lesbian individuals and couples are capable of meeting the best interest of the child....[They should be] afforded the same rights and....responsibilities as heterosexual parents."

    Chairperson Gary Grossman headed the committee which prepared the statement. He commented that it should "help judges, who may have their own biases for whatever reasons, to look at the evidence and listen to the professionals..."Optimally, children do better with two parents, but the gender of the parents is really not so relevant."
    US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: Psychological Adjustment of 17-Year-Old Adolescents
    The Effects of Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership Laws on the Health and Well-being of Children
    Same-sex couples can be effective parents, researchers find - USATODAY.com
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-28-12 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #166
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because any time you read a book, even the Bible, there is an interpretation even when it is in your own language. The fact that the Bible has been translated multiple times from the original language it was written in absolutely means that certain things could have been changed.

    I personally don't think God approves of slavery, but that belief does not come from the Bible at all. I can see though how some may feel that the Bible does allow for slavery. It doesn't take too much reading into the OT to see that God didn't have too much of a problem with people owning slaves. And since many people who read the Bible cherry pick it anyway, who are you to tell them they are wrong in what they want to condone? Should I and others not have the same right to point out where you may be wrong in the interpretation that makes homosexuality a sin?
    What interpretation do you get from "Thou shalt not kill"? Like I said earlier, you are going to find a way to make the Bible fit what you want. I'm simply stating what the Book says. The Bible is not at fault that people such as yourself interpret it anyway they see fit. It says men lying with men is wrong. Its says "manstealers" who sell or possess that man are wrong. What interpretation other than what it says is there?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And I did read your metaphor. It did not relate to what I had posted. If you are wrong and God really does disapprove of your marriage to your wife because she was not originally of your faith or still really isn't, then you really couldn't know for sure til God judges you for it, which would likely occur in heaven, not here on Earth. Personally, I don't believe God cares if two people of different faiths marry as long as they can make it work. But I also don't believe God cares if two people of the same sex love each other and would fully support them getting married.
    How does it not relate? You asked why God doesn't stop bad things from happening, or something to that effect. I explained why He doesn't.
    I'm not wrong. God does not judge people for sins they committ if you have been redeemed as a child of God. I am a child of God, as is my wife, so therefore I'm good.
    And God does care if two people of the same sex love each other btw. He condemns homosexuality. If you want to read it differently, go ahead. Its your choice to do so. It's not my job to judge you or anyone else, or convince you or anyone else. I've already figured out that you this debate will end with nothing other than you saying "what if this" or "what if that". I'm sorry, but you can't understand because you aren't a Christian. I also don't have all of the answers because I'm not God. He does things we don't understand. So I can't explain to you why I have the assurance that I have about my marriage, the Bible, or anything else. I will just be secure in the fact that I know where I'm going when I die and that I'm doing the best I can to live according to His will until it happens.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #167
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    From what I was reading just after Biden said he supported same sex marriage but before Obama made his own announcement, Al Sharpton had said that it wasn't him and I believe the NAACP (not sure who was representing them, it was an OP ED I was reading) said that it was not them either that were holding Obama back from also supporting same sex marriage.

    Actually, I'm willing to bet that the more people seeing others who they consider leaders of their community, whether due to race or religion or celebrity status, who come out in support of same sex marriage, the greater the change is going to go for many to actually support same sex marriage. Some will stubbornly hold onto their beliefs, depending on who they consider the most important person to listen to but many view those who have and are coming out to support this as leaders and value their opinions.
    I agree. I think Obama definitely showed leadership here.

  8. #168
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    What interpretation do you get from "Thou shalt not kill"?
    Does it really matter? Honestly I try not to kill anything without cause. Others may say that it only applies to humans. I personally apply it to every living thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Like I said earlier, you are going to find a way to make the Bible fit what you want. I'm simply stating what the Book says. The Bible is not at fault that people such as yourself interpret it anyway they see fit. It says men lying with men is wrong. Its says "manstealers" who sell or possess that man are wrong. What interpretation other than what it says is there?
    And you aren't? Whether same sex relationships are sinful or not in the eyes of God would really have very little effect on me since I'm not homosexual. However, I don't believe that the way we use "homosexual" today or the way we would view those passages against homosexuality are the same as those who wrote those passages many thousands of years ago actually viewed it. You yourself said that things should be taken in the views of those who wrote them, not as we see things now.

    The actual term "homosexual" did not even exist when the Bible was originally written. And the Bible says that lying with men as men lie with women is wrong. Of course the Bible freely treats women as property of men. Women were less then men so a man lying with another man as if he were a woman would be wrong in the eyes of those men who wrote the Bible.

    Oh, and since many people before the mid to late 1900s did not view black people as really "men" then they felt completely justified in using blacks and even other races as slaves. Afterall, how can someone be a "manstealer" if the person they are using as a slave is not really considered a real man at all?

    And there are other passages in the NT even that do condone slavery.

    Christian views on slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How does it not relate? You asked why God doesn't stop bad things from happening, or something to that effect. I explained why He doesn't.
    I'm not wrong. God does not judge people for sins they committ if you have been redeemed as a child of God. I am a child of God, as is my wife, so therefore I'm good.
    And God does care if two people of the same sex love each other btw. He condemns homosexuality. If you want to read it differently, go ahead. Its your choice to do so. It's not my job to judge you or anyone else, or convince you or anyone else. I've already figured out that you this debate will end with nothing other than you saying "what if this" or "what if that". I'm sorry, but you can't understand because you aren't a Christian. I also don't have all of the answers because I'm not God. He does things we don't understand. So I can't explain to you why I have the assurance that I have about my marriage, the Bible, or anything else. I will just be secure in the fact that I know where I'm going when I die and that I'm doing the best I can to live according to His will until it happens.
    I didn't ask that. I didn't mention anything about God stopping bad things from happening. You said that you knew God was okay with your marriage just because you had been married to your wife for 10 years. I asked why would that matter. If God is not okay with your relationship, then you really wouldn't know that, even if you have a good marriage, until you are judged by God in heaven, just like same sex couples wouldn't really know either. Personally, I absolutely believe neither interfaith nor same sex couples need worry about it. I think God is very much okay with people loving each other when that love causes no harm, as would be the case in both situations. This is just one of many reasons I cannot be Christian. I cannot believe that a just and loving God would condemn people for loving each other and making commitments that do no harm. I can easily believe that a bunch of guys from thousands of years ago could easily condemn people for this though.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #169
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    No I don't.

    The null hypothesis is people reproduce heterosexually. Homosexuals need to prove the alternative in saying they're just as competent.
    Every unbiased peer reviewed study on the subject has already proven that.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    SSM is a different issue than the world being flat, whites being superior, and slavery. SSM has moral implications ie the Bible states homosexuality is wrong. I agree that it is, however, I also think SSM is a freedom issue. Some don't agree with that. The NAACP isn't a gov't organization. They are an organization who's purpose is to represent a specific minority in our country. They can say what they want, but, my point is that they cease to be a relevant organization when they fail to accurately represent the people they claim to represent.
    Actually, the bible says very little to nothing on the subject. Improper interpretations of the bible do. But that's another issue.

    And no, the point is that a majority can be wrong, as they were on those topics and this one. When you represent anyone, you have to do more than parrot their worse contentions. You also have an obligation to lead, to aspire to better. Organizations lose relavency IMHO when they are merely parrots who have no vision beyond not wanting to offend.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •