Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 238

Thread: NAACP backs gay marriage

  1. #101
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They are largely a political institution. So, saying they ahd political reasons is like saying the night is dark. It's really a nonissue. An organization can lead as well as represent.
    That's the thing, the NAACP used to mean something for black people. They used to stand up for their rights, hold meaningful protests, and stand up for what used to be an oppressed race. Now that their race has the rights they should, have nothing to protest, and are not oppressed, they should have focused on issues that continue to hold blacks back ie single parenthood, education, crime. Instead, the engage in political discourse and partisanship. It's a real shame honestly.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #102
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    No, the trend was, at the most, 39% of blacks approving of gay marriage. A trend that was slowly trending up but nowhere near 53%. Go back and look at the graphs you posted from the Huff Post and see what the trend was. It was nowhere near a 14% jump in one month. It was more like a 14% jump over a few years.
    Who they polled is very important. If it was a nationwide poll, focusing on all blacks, then it means something. If was a state poll, of California for instance, or of a specific age group, 18-25 for instance, that makes a big difference. You can mold any poll to make it say what you want by selecting the proper geographical location or age group.
    And I still don't understand what your point to all this is. Does it really make a difference?

    The trend was still going up in the community supporting same sex marriage. The trend was not likely to stop. The President coming out in support of same sex marriage, along with those other celebrities doing so, is very likely to increase that trend because people are influenced by influential people, whether it be the President, celebrities or others who they consider leaders of their community. It is likely that if we had famous people/celebrities coming out against same sex marriage, particularly ones who were viewed as important figures of a certain community, the trend for support would slow down.

    I don't think the President's support, particularly not by itself, affected the black community support of ssm to a level of 53% averaged over the whole country. I do think that it increased the trend, particularly when in conjunction with the other endorsements from influential people within the black community.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #103
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    The fact that neither Obama nor Romney wants to make this a major campaign issue speaks volumes more than the NAACP announcement.

    For the time being, gay marriage can no longer be used as a wedge issue. There are too many people on the Democrat side who oppose it and too many on the Republican side who support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #104
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And I still don't understand what your point to all this is. Does it really make a difference?

    The trend was still going up in the community supporting same sex marriage. The trend was not likely to stop. The President coming out in support of same sex marriage, along with those other celebrities doing so, is very likely to increase that trend because people are influenced by influential people, whether it be the President, celebrities or others who they consider leaders of their community. It is likely that if we had famous people/celebrities coming out against same sex marriage, particularly ones who were viewed as important figures of a certain community, the trend for support would slow down.

    I don't think the President's support, particularly not by itself, affected the black community support of ssm to a level of 53% averaged over the whole country. I do think that it increased the trend, particularly when in conjunction with the other endorsements from influential people within the black community.
    The point is the NAACP is not doing their job and representing the black community's views. They came out in support of SSM simply because it was a good political move considering that the POTUS did the same thing.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #105
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The point is the NAACP is not doing their job and representing the black community's views. They came out in support of SSM simply because it was a good political move considering that the POTUS did the same thing.
    Mission statement of the NAACP...

    "The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination."

    Sorry, don't hear anything about "representing the black community's views" in that mission statement. Are you sure you have the right organization?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #106
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The point is the NAACP is not doing their job and representing the black community's views. They came out in support of SSM simply because it was a good political move considering that the POTUS did the same thing.
    They aren't required to represent the views of every member of the black community. They are not even required to represent the view of the majority of the black community. If you believe they are, show me some proof that they are required to do this. I'm pretty sure they aren't.

    They are simply an organization that attempts to bring to light, for good or bad, things that mainly affect black people. This doesn't mean that the organization cannot have views on other issues that really aren't just black issues and are not in line with the general view of most blacks.

    The NAACP are supposed to be leaders, not followers. So if they are at the head of a turn in support for an issue such as same sex marriage instead of putting out that support later, it is a good thing. They are leading the people, not simply representing the people. I may not always agree with them, but that doesn't mean that they aren't leaders of the community.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    That's the thing, the NAACP used to mean something for black people. They used to stand up for their rights, hold meaningful protests, and stand up for what used to be an oppressed race. Now that their race has the rights they should, have nothing to protest, and are not oppressed, they should have focused on issues that continue to hold blacks back ie single parenthood, education, crime. Instead, the engage in political discourse and partisanship. It's a real shame honestly.
    I wouldn't go that far. I still see blacks denied jobs and housing due to race. Yes, things are better, much better, but that fight isn't completely over. And becasue so many don't see beyond the superficial, they lose a lot of support they could use. And that's a real shame.

    But, that's a separate issue. No matter the reason here, they are correct. Be them leading or helping those who help them, the fact is they are on the right side. Fair is fair.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Last Seen
    10-10-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    208

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    MarineTpartier

    The point is the NAACP is not doing their job and representing the black community's views. They came out in support of SSM simply because it was a good political move considering that the POTUS did the same thing.
    AMEN. The NAACP nor the National Urban League represent the true interests of the black community anymore, the civil engagements that they get into mirror that of Tavis Smiley and Cornel West, it's just very left-wing rhetoric and agendas.

    Black-on-black crime is through the roof, sure MARCH for Trayvon Martin getting shot by a "Latino" but what about the countless of other black youth that are shot down by other black youth? Where's their march?

    75% of black households are single parent, where's the march on that?

    44% of black boys graduate high school, where's the march on that?

    A black guy out of TN gave birth to 30 kids and can't support none of them, where's the march on that?

    It's a damn shame how what used to be a respected black community engaging institution, has turned into nothing more than another MSNBC. They support whatever President Obama supports, EVEN IF they never supported it before (like gay marriage), only because they want to be loyal to their political left-wing agenda.

    There are STILL to this day a number of resource issues concerning the black community, and I'm not naive to think that there aren't resource issues. BUT that doesn't take away personal responsibility and that's not preached, marched out or written about a lot from these institutions MAINLY because it doesn't fit left-wing rhetoric. Left-wing rhetoric is all about how the "rich white man" is corrupting the country so of course any discussion on personal responsibility isn't allowed in the door.
    Last edited by John Tucker; 05-24-12 at 04:27 AM.

  9. #109
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: NAACP Backs Same-Sex Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Mission statement of the NAACP...

    "The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination."

    Sorry, don't hear anything about "representing the black community's views" in that mission statement. Are you sure you have the right organization?
    Nice try at a redirect. Its a well known fact that's what the NAACP does regardless of their "mission statement". Many roles are filled by many people that are not verbalized in a mission statement. I'll use the office of the POTUS as an example:

    Throwing out the first pitch for the season for the Washington baseball team, the All Star game, or World Series
    Execute agreements in regards to foreign relations
    The POTUS is always recognized as the leaders of his particular party.
    Pardoning the turkey every Thanksgiving

    In understand some of those are nowhere near the level of representing a whole race of people, however, they do show things that the POTUS is responsible for that are not in his offical duties. Is throwing out the first pitch or pardoning the turkey that big of a deal? No, however, a big deal would be made if the POTUS broke those traditions. The same can be said for the NAACP. If they stopped representing the interests of black people they would essentially turn into the ACLU. We do have a need for an organization like the ACLU but that's not what the NAACP is about. They would also be subject to much criticism for failing to do their unoffical duty.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #110
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: NAACP backs gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by John Tucker View Post
    AMEN. The NAACP nor the National Urban League represent the true interests of the black community anymore, the civil engagements that they get into mirror that of Tavis Smiley and Cornel West, it's just very left-wing rhetoric and agendas.

    Black-on-black crime is through the roof, sure MARCH for Trayvon Martin getting shot by a "Latino" but what about the countless of other black youth that are shot down by other black youth? Where's their march?

    75% of black households are single parent, where's the march on that?

    44% of black boys graduate high school, where's the march on that?

    A black guy out of TN gave birth to 30 kids and can't support none of them, where's the march on that?

    It's a damn shame how what used to be a respected black community engaging institution, has turned into nothing more than another MSNBC. They support whatever President Obama supports, EVEN IF they never supported it before (like gay marriage), only because they want to be loyal to their political left-wing agenda.

    There are STILL to this day a number of resource issues concerning the black community, and I'm not naive to think that there aren't resource issues. BUT that doesn't take away personal responsibility and that's not preached, marched out or written about a lot from these institutions MAINLY because it doesn't fit left-wing rhetoric. Left-wing rhetoric is all about how the "rich white man" is corrupting the country so of course any discussion on personal responsibility isn't allowed in the door.
    The NAACP talks about these issues constantly. What universe are you living in!?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •