Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Good Budget News

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Good Budget News

    For the first time since the Wall Street Collapse in September of 2008, the federal government has posted a monthly budget surplus, as Uncle Sam took in $59 billion more than was spent in April of 2012.

    Federal revenues were $318 billion in April, while spending was $259 billion, a full $70 billion less than one year ago, when the feds posted a $40 billion deficit.
    It's a good sign, but that does not mean that our budget is balanced. The Federal government had fewer outlays in April than in most months. We are still bleeding money, but this is certainly better than last year. Just don't start crowing that either Obama or Congress has balanced the budget, because neither has. In fact, I actually post this story in order to preempt those hyperpartisans who are going to take credit for a balanced budget, based on only a single month of activity, and activity which includes spending which is typically low in the month of April. Don't forget that April is also the month that the government takes in the most income tax payments too.

    Still, this is good news, compared to last year. We have taken a step. Now we need to take 5,279 more to reach the milestone we are looking for.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It's a good sign, but that does not mean that our budget is balanced. The Federal government had fewer outlays in April than in most months. We are still bleeding money, but this is certainly better than last year. Just don't start crowing that either Obama or Congress has balanced the budget, because neither has. In fact, I actually post this story in order to preempt those hyperpartisans who are going to take credit for a balanced budget, based on only a single month of activity, and activity which includes spending which is typically low in the month of April. Don't forget that April is also the month that the government takes in the most income tax payments too.

    Still, this is good news, compared to last year. We have taken a step. Now we need to take 5,279 more to reach the milestone we are looking for.

    Article is here.
    Ah yes, that is all probably due to the tax returns flying in last month. No doubt mostly money from those middle class people that some say they are defending.

    Oh well, none of it really matters, they haven't passed a budget in years, they will continue to increase spending far faster than growth. We are hosed.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It's a good sign, but that does not mean that our budget is balanced. The Federal government had fewer outlays in April than in most months. We are still bleeding money, but this is certainly better than last year. Just don't start crowing that either Obama or Congress has balanced the budget, because neither has. In fact, I actually post this story in order to preempt those hyperpartisans who are going to take credit for a balanced budget, based on only a single month of activity, and activity which includes spending which is typically low in the month of April. Don't forget that April is also the month that the government takes in the most income tax payments too.

    Still, this is good news, compared to last year. We have taken a step. Now we need to take 5,279 more to reach the milestone we are looking for.

    Article is here.
    Be serious. Looking at a monthly number? What will the deficit be for the full fiscal year, something like 1.2 trillion.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It's a good sign, but that does not mean that our budget is balanced. The Federal government had fewer outlays in April than in most months. We are still bleeding money, but this is certainly better than last year. Just don't start crowing that either Obama or Congress has balanced the budget, because neither has. In fact, I actually post this story in order to preempt those hyperpartisans who are going to take credit for a balanced budget, based on only a single month of activity, and activity which includes spending which is typically low in the month of April. Don't forget that April is also the month that the government takes in the most income tax payments too.

    Still, this is good news, compared to last year. We have taken a step. Now we need to take 5,279 more to reach the milestone we are looking for.

    Article is here.
    Lets face it, if the history of our Government has taught us one thing, it is that if the government finds that it has an extra dollar or two, it will not only find a way to spend it, but it will spend it in a way that we are committed to spending that amount in future, whether we have it then or not.

  5. #5
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Good Budget News

    There is normally a surplus in that month. But because of the lack of taxes and massive spending the last few times that has not happened. However historically that month is a surplus month.
    PeteEU

  6. #6
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    There is normally a surplus in that month. But because of the lack of taxes and massive spending the last few times that has not happened. However historically that month is a surplus month.
    Actually, last year there was an 80 billion dollar deficit in April.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Good Budget News

    why are we still talking about a blip, meaningless statistic? Has anyone suggested that the fiscal year deficit will be less than $1.2 trillion?

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    why are we still talking about a blip, meaningless statistic? Has anyone suggested that the fiscal year deficit will be less than $1.2 trillion?
    Not at all. The reason I posted this, as I explained in the OP, was to preempt Democrats from making this molehill into a mountain.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Good Budget News

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Not at all. The reason I posted this, as I explained in the OP, was to preempt Democrats from making this molehill into a mountain.
    sorry, I missed that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •