Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

  1. #31
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Just like those white kids suing colleges for not letting them in...
    And those people are stupid too. These are things that need to be earned. Don't earn them, don't get them. Screw these moron's feelings.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #32
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Is mom representing her kid? I'm asking because I've really got to wonder what kind of lawyer would take this case.
    A bloodsucking one. I was recently part of a lawsuit at work and I ended up hearing the prosecution lawyers talking privately. They flat out said they didn't give a damn about their clients, they didn't care if they won or lost, they were just there for the money and they were getting paid regardless. Sounds like a pretty typical lawyer to me.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The problem should be simplified.

    Keep sports and academics seperate.
    athletics are extracurricular activities...

  4. #34
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    I was on varsity in four sports... two as a freshman. I was cut from one my junior year when I slacked and made it back senior year. Point is... I never thought of complaining much less sueing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    athletics are extracurricular activities...
    And you aren't allowed to play sports unless you have a C average... at least that is how it was in my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And you aren't allowed to play sports unless you have a C average... at least that is how it was in my day.
    we had a whole host of standards ( I played varsity football all 4 years).. C average, short hair, shaved, dressed nicely every day at school, .. and of course, you had to have talent to stay on the team.
    the roster had a set number ... I can't remember the number, but we'll call it 40... and if you were number 41 after tryouts, you were cut.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    A bloodsucking one. I was recently part of a lawsuit at work and I ended up hearing the prosecution lawyers talking privately. They flat out said they didn't give a damn about their clients, they didn't care if they won or lost, they were just there for the money and they were getting paid regardless. Sounds like a pretty typical lawyer to me.
    I am a lawyer, and I can tell you that we have ethical obligations that frequently prevent us from taking cases that we know have no validity whatsoever. People have really bad impressions about lawyers, and this sort of bull**** is exactly why. However, there are also organizations that sanction lawyers for bringing bad claims. What I'm saying is that whoever took this case is risking his career. Even from an entirely self serving standpoint, that's a bad risk.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I am a lawyer, and I can tell you that we have ethical obligations that frequently prevent us from taking cases that we know have no validity whatsoever. People have really bad impressions about lawyers, and this sort of bull**** is exactly why. However, there are also organizations that sanction lawyers for bringing bad claims. What I'm saying is that whoever took this case is risking his career. Even from an entirely self serving standpoint, that's a bad risk.
    Any lawyer that would take a case like this does give the rest a bad name, yes.

    I have read that many criminal defense lawyers specifically do NOT even want to know if their client is guilty or not guilty, because if their client confesses to them then they have ethical considerations to consider.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post

    I have read that many criminal defense lawyers specifically do NOT even want to know if their client is guilty or not guilty, because if their client confesses to them then they have ethical considerations to consider.
    That's true. I've been there myself. Knowing that your criminal client is guilty limits the sorts of defenses you can mount. That's why it's so tricky to talk to them. You can't argue something you know to be false. To be clear, that issue is related to (even analogous to), but somewhat different from what I'm getting at. In a civil context, you can't bring a claim you know to be invalid. Obviously that's sometimes hard to determine, but it's a crappy risk for an attorney to take, and no one who's any good would do so.

    As I said before, lawyers have really crappy reputations. Sometimes this is deserved, for a variety of reasons. But the irony is that we're actually universally held to higher ethical standards than pretty much everyone else (and for good reasons). I had to go through almost a year-long process of background checks just to get admitted to the California bar. They interviewed friends, family, former employers, former landlords, etc, to figure out whether or not I was a stand up guy. I would imagine the situation is the same in most if not all states. What I had to deal with was probably less stringent and invasive than what I imagine prospective FBI/CIA agents have to deal with, but it's not far off.

  10. #40
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: AR mother sues constitutional violation after son cut from varsity team

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I was on varsity in four sports... two as a freshman. I was cut from one my junior year when I slacked and made it back senior year. Point is... I never thought of complaining much less sueing...
    That's because you held yourself accountable. Props to you on that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •