Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

  1. #31
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    What about Gen. McChrystal and Marine Staff Sgt. Gary Stein, both whom were Government employees.
    Their job requirements are set out in the USMJ and it's well-established that the military operates by different standards. This is also well-known - well-known enough that even you knew this
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #32
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    346

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    And you make an assumption. Myself only asked a question and made no reference as to what I knew or not knew.

  3. #33
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    And you make an assumption. Myself only asked a question and made no reference as to what I knew or not knew.
    Because it's totally honest to ask a question one already knows the answer to in a debate
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    And you make an assumption. Myself only asked a question and made no reference as to what I knew or not knew.
    He basically gave you the benefit of the doubt for being intelligent, albeit having failed at trying to set him up with a "got'cha!" moment. But hey, if you want to disavow being intelligent, and claim that you didn't already know that the military is a whole different animal, who are we to argue?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Liking something on Facebook is not free speech, replying to somebody's status updates is cyber stalking, and making fun of somebody on twitter is harassment. I don't like it, but at this point somebody should just get it over with and introduce a constitutional amendment declaring that the internet is serious business.

  6. #36
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    346

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    He basically gave you the benefit of the doubt for being intelligent, albeit having failed at trying to set him up with a "got'cha!" moment. But hey, if you want to disavow being intelligent, and claim that you didn't already know that the military is a whole different animal, who are we to argue?
    If you had noticed, the question was originally in response to “When the employer is a govt agency, yes it is”, as that statement is a blanket coverage. And sangha is right, it was an honest question in that context regardless of any military knowledge known or unknown before hand. There is nothing “gotcha” as you put it in an honest question to a blanket statement.

    Now as to your statement “claim that you didn't already know that the military is a whole different animal”. Show by my responses in this thread such a claim was made by myself.

  7. #37
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    When the employer is a govt agency, yes it is
    From the article:

    "Roberts (the sheriff) claims they were either fired for poor performance, or because supporting his opponent "hindered the harmony and efficiency of the office.""

    Virginia is an "at will" employment state, meaning your boss can fire you for any reason, at any time, with the exception of religion, race, and gender, or are working under contract that you have not violated. There is no legal recourse for the 6 employees.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #38
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment - Yahoo! News
    Bribing politicians is ok, liking facebook is not.

    Makes no sense to me.

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    From the article:

    "Roberts (the sheriff) claims they were either fired for poor performance, or because supporting his opponent "hindered the harmony and efficiency of the office.""

    Virginia is an "at will" employment state, meaning your boss can fire you for any reason, at any time, with the exception of religion, race, and gender, or are working under contract that you have not violated. There is no legal recourse for the 6 employees.
    I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong, that "at will" legislation applies only to private employment, not public employment
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: "Liking" Something on Facebook Not Protected by First Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong, that "at will" legislation applies only to private employment, not public employment
    It's the same. If they don't have a contract, they can get booted at any time.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •