Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 218

Thread: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

  1. #191
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Texas doesn't concern it's self with where other money comes from, only where it's money goes. The government of Texas has simply said it will not use it's funds to pay for organisations that perform abortions or organisations associated with another organisation that provides abortions. It's our (I'm a Texan) money, we can spend however we damned well please.

    .

    5th Generation Texan here who wants PP funded.

  2. #192
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Texas doesn't concern it's self with where other money comes from, only where it's money goes. The government of Texas has simply said it will not use it's funds to pay for organisations that perform abortions or organisations associated with another organisation that provides abortions. It's our (I'm a Texan) money, we can spend however we damned well please.

    One part of the whole argument about this mess that is ignored is whether or not it is the governments responsibility to even provide healthcare services. IMO, all healthcare is a personal responsibility, not a governmental one. Nowhere in the Federal or State constitutions is there any clause that says the government has to provide any goods or service to those who do not earn it for themselves. Healthcare is a service, not a Right.
    If Texas wants to stop funding any social health programs I'm sure it could do so and it would be better than playing favorites like it's doing now.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #193
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Texas doesn't concern it's self with where other money comes from, only where it's money goes. The government of Texas has simply said it will not use it's funds to pay for organisations that perform abortions or organisations associated with another organisation that provides abortions. It's our (I'm a Texan) money, we can spend however we damned well please.

    One part of the whole argument about this mess that is ignored is whether or not it is the governments responsibility to even provide healthcare services. IMO, all healthcare is a personal responsibility, not a governmental one. Nowhere in the Federal or State constitutions is there any clause that says the government has to provide any goods or service to those who do not earn it for themselves. Healthcare is a service, not a Right.
    No, it isn't, $23M is fed dollars, $3M is Texas dollars, the fed dollars come with a proviso.

    This is the second time I have personally told you this.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-06-12 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #194
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    5th Generation Texan here who wants PP funded.
    I have to wonder how many of your fellow Texans agree with you? I suspect it's a lot, maybe even a majority.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #195
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The majority of "health services" provided are screenings. Services that can easily be provided elsewhere. What medical "treatment" does PP provide?
    I did not say "treatment", I said health care and health services. You need to once again get into nitpicking without purpose, so off the top of my head, one form of treatment is the Rx of oral birth control which is used for ailments not related to pregnancy prevention.

    Now as far as your "provided elsewhere", it seems women in Texas have a multitude of reasons for their choice in using PP, probably due in large part to cost. Now if Texas does not want to accept the $23M in fed med subsidies, wants to remove these PP providers, then I think they can show what they will do to replace those dollars AND the providers. I would like to see the economics of that. It seems to me that the market has been working, and after all, isn't that the number one priority for your clow....er....cons?
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-06-12 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I have to wonder how many of your fellow Texans agree with you? I suspect it's a lot, maybe even a majority.
    I suspect not..unless you think that state legislators are ignoring the will of the people.

    From the Dallas Morning News [6-2011 and bolding below is mine]:

    And 57 percent said they would be against a measure that would strip state funding to all medical facilities that perform abortions or abortion-related services. Such a measure was passed by the House, but was stripped from a funding bill in the Senate during the regular session. Nevertheless, the Legislature did cut more than $100 million from contraception and women's health programs in which Planned Parenthood was involved.

    ...While Texans favored maintaining the health funding, a strong majority - 62 percent - did agree with the sonogram law, signed by the governor and currently being contested in court. The law requires doctors to conduct a sonogram and discuss the picture with a woman prior to an abortion.

    Texans split on hot-button legislative issues | Trail Blazers Blog | dallasnews.com

  7. #197
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Texas doesn't concern it's self with where other money comes from, only where it's money goes. The government of Texas has simply said it will not use it's funds to pay for organisations that perform abortions or organisations associated with another organisation that provides abortions. It's our (I'm a Texan) money, we can spend however we damned well please.

    One part of the whole argument about this mess that is ignored is whether or not it is the governments responsibility to even provide healthcare services. IMO, all healthcare is a personal responsibility, not a governmental one. Nowhere in the Federal or State constitutions is there any clause that says the government has to provide any goods or service to those who do not earn it for themselves. Healthcare is a service, not a Right.
    In my opinion, people shouldn't be allowed to die just because they don't have enough money.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #198
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I suspect not..unless you think that state legislators are ignoring the will of the people.

    From the Dallas Morning News [6-2011 and bolding below is mine]:

    And 57 percent said they would be against a measure that would strip state funding to all medical facilities that perform abortions or abortion-related services. Such a measure was passed by the House, but was stripped from a funding bill in the Senate during the regular session. Nevertheless, the Legislature did cut more than $100 million from contraception and women's health programs in which Planned Parenthood was involved.

    ...While Texans favored maintaining the health funding, a strong majority - 62 percent - did agree with the sonogram law, signed by the governor and currently being contested in court. The law requires doctors to conduct a sonogram and discuss the picture with a woman prior to an abortion.

    Texans split on hot-button legislative issues | Trail Blazers Blog | dallasnews.com
    Obviously you are wrong as your link and your quoting of that link plainly states:

    57 percent said they would be against a measure that would strip state funding to all medical facilities that perform abortions or abortion-related services
    57% against is a majority against what the legislature is doing so, yes, indeed, the legislature is blowing off the public just as I suspected. They don't give a crap what the People want as long as their personal political objectives are met. More than one State has been hoodwinked by these clowns - Texas is one more in a long line of circuses where they're performing.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #199
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    In my opinion, people shouldn't be allowed to die just because they don't have enough money.
    Medicine has achieved Immortality? I must of missed that article. Whether you have money or not, you will die. What you achieve in life, what you get, and when you die are all the result of individuals making their own choices. I just have no problem with them having to live or die as a consequence of their own choices. It is not, nor should it ever be the governments responsibility to mitigate those consequences. Frankly, the US and mankind in general would be much better off if we allowed Natural Selection to work un-impeeded and let these people suffer the fate that they chose for themselves.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,837

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Medicine has achieved Immortality? I must of missed that article. Whether you have money or not, you will die. What you achieve in life, what you get, and when you die are all the result of individuals making their own choices. I just have no problem with them having to live or die as a consequence of their own choices. It is not, nor should it ever be the governments responsibility to mitigate those consequences. Frankly, the US and mankind in general would be much better off if we allowed Natural Selection to work un-impeeded and let these people suffer the fate that they chose for themselves.
    Interesting 'social Darwinist" take on the matter. So you think ALL deaths are the consequence of the deceased actions?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •