Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 218

Thread: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

  1. #121
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    TX also grabs a bigger share of the Federal pie than CA - but at least they're not taking money from DC like many other Red States do.

    The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005



    If you're going to turn this into a Con/Lib economics argument you should get all the facts on the table.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 05-05-12 at 02:17 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #122
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    This whole issue is just more Federal interference in the States business. The Federal government should never, either through legislation or through court findings, tell a state how to budget it's money. There is absolutely no reason, other than differing political opinions, why the Federal Government interferes so much with Texas budgeting and how Texas chooses to do business.

    If the voters in Texas are happy with the way that Austin does things, then the Fed should shut and color and leave us the hell alone. Apparently, because Texans won't become willing Liberal slaves, we now, as a state will have to budget for court fights everytime the state wants to accomplish something. But with someone like Obama in control of the executive branch, I guess the fact that Texas remains for the most part sucessful while pursuing non-liberal policies, they are just too much of a threat to Liberals to allow them to stand. The Liberals especially don't want people to actually start noticing the differences between Texas, a large and largely conservative state and California, a large and largely Liberal state, since the comparison would highlight how poorly Liberalism does on a large scale.
    The fed funds the Texas Women's Health Fund to the tune of $29.3M, Texas contributes $3.3M. Texas is wrong in how it is excluding those PP clinics from the funding since they do not provide abortion services.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    I am not the one choosing to make it a Con/Lib argument, the Courts and the Fed are. Since the subject is part of the state budget, then economics come into play.

    BTW, nice link, but do you have anything after that date. Comparing current status to 2005 is probably going to see huge changes as in 2005, we still had a Republican President and a Republican Congress and before the economic downturn. This data is just too old to apply to 2012.

  4. #124
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Did you ask them? Prolly not.
    Actually, I have. Several different affiliates, as a matter of fact. None could substantiate the claim.

    It isn't just condoms.

    Reversible contraceptive methods,
    women (percentage)
    chosen by Planned Parenthood clients, 2010

    Oral 39.5
    Non-prescription Barrier 17.8
    No Method 11.9
    Progestin-only Injectables 9.4
    Other/Unknown 8.4
    Combined Hormone Ring 5.7
    IUD 4.1
    Combined Hormone Patch 2.3
    Contraceptive Impant 0.7
    Prescription Barrier 0.1
    Fertility Awareness-based Methods 0.1
    Great, show the study or stats the prove the correlation.


    You aren't one of those that denies that contraception reduces abortions, are you?
    Nope. I also know that there is no way to know if a pregnancy was specifically prevented by a contraceptive or if it simply did not occur to begin with.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #125
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If you studied this stuff and know the lingo then I suggest you contact them and ask your questions in a professional manner. I'm sure they'll tell you what you want to know as long as you keep it professional.
    I have done so, many times over several years. They've never substantiated that claim.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #126
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You apparently don't know how they do it either. Yet you assume that they just claim some number and that no one else in the entire world figures that stuff out also. Perhaps you can explain how the Guttmacher Institute came up with their numbers in the following link?

    USA Today
    First, I have no problem with PP's famliy planning. What I have a problem with is abortion. Second, you'll notice that it does not explain how they substantiate the claim that they are responsible for preventing the pregnancies.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #127
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I am not the one choosing to make it a Con/Lib argument, the Courts and the Fed are. Since the subject is part of the state budget, then economics come into play.
    Given there are undisputed economic implications involved in this discussion there is no reason to play out the Lib/Con economics by comparing Texas to another state. If you're going to do that then ALL states should come into play - and the Red States loose. They suck up more Fed money per dollar paid into the Fed than the Blue States do. I don't think that changes too much regardless of who's in power. You're talking about a LOT of programs, installations, institutions, etc, etc, that are involved, not something that can be turned off and on. Naval bases don't move very often. Farm subsidies don't change much. Populations, which account for most of the money going both directions, are what they are as are average incomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    BTW, nice link, but do you have anything after that date. Comparing current status to 2005 is probably going to see huge changes as in 2005, we still had a Republican President and a Republican Congress and before the economic downturn. This data is just too old to apply to 2012.
    There was one, not the same site, that someone linked in another thread but I couldn't find it. I think it was for 2010, which might be the most recent available. Seems like it was part of a news article but I can't remember which magazine or whatever.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 05-05-12 at 03:36 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    There was one, not the same site, that someone linked in another thread but I couldn't find it. I think it was for 2010, which might be the most recent available.
    Is Your State A Net Giver or Taker of Federal Taxes? | The Big Picture source data says 2010, haven't found anything newer, but you will note that California got back $1.09 for every dollar it paid in while Texas got back $0.91. While statement was true based upon 2005 data, it is false based upon 2010 data.

  9. #129
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I have done so, many times over several years. They've never substantiated that claim.
    Planned Parenthood Federation of America
    434 West 33rd Street
    New York, NY 10001
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Judge says Texas can't ban Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The fed funds the Texas Women's Health Fund to the tune of $29.3M, Texas contributes $3.3M. Texas is wrong in how it is excluding those PP clinics from the funding since they do not provide abortion services.
    Several articles have pointed out that the Feds defunded the Texas Women's Health Fund when Texas adopted this law. If the Feds want to fund these clinics directly, then let them, but the state should not be forced to do it. The clinics in question were defunded because they are associated with an organization that does abortions. Frankly some good may come out of this if the final decision at SCOTUS allows Texas to seperate the two fundings, it would remove a lot of Federal Power to make states comply with it's wishes if we force it to directly fund instead of passing funds through the state and mandating that a state also provide funds for it.

    Since I do not support any Public funding, state or federal, to any organization that does abortions, I of course disagree with your point. If PP wants funding, drop abortion, otherwise, piss off.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •