Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 347

Thread: OWS plan on blocking New York Bridges, Tunnels, and Ferries on May 1st.

  1. #151
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,541

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Where did Milton Friedman or anyone at the Chicago School of Economics support big government of any sort? That ridiculous statement is something only a socialist could like.
    Chile is not a politically free system, and I do not condone the system. But the people there are freer than the people in Communist societies because government plays a smaller role. ... The conditions of the people in the past few years has been getting better and not worse. They would be still better to get rid of the junta and to be able to have a free democratic system."
    Unless of course we forget that:
    Chile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The first years of the regime were marked by human rights violations. On October 1973, at least 72 people were murdered by the Caravan of Death.[48] According to the Rettig Report and Valech Commission, at least 2,115 were killed,[49] and at least 27,265 [50] were tortured (including 88 children younger than 12 years old).[50] A new Constitution was approved by a controversial plebiscite on 11 September 1980, and General Pinochet became president of the republic for an 8-year term.
    Now, if you think "Chile" had a small government from the 1970s to the 1980s, you're a regime supporter, you're full of ****, or you're ****ing moron. Considering Milton Freedman's academic career, I doubt he was a moron, so he either supported it or he was full of ****. The choices are yours.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-30-12 at 05:27 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #152
    unstable genius
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,931

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Apples, and no. The ****ing IRS "appropriated" the property after my Grandmother died.
    Income tax evasion?

  3. #153
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Income tax evasion?
    Couldn't afford the taxes because everyone we sold to bailed to cheaper outsourced goods, thanks to more taxes levied by this wonderful ****ing government we have.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,121

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    You said this:



    Watch the video. Greed is constant. It is that desire to improve oneself, and one's family. It is what drives consumption in any market.

    It is no more "wrong" than is eating, sleeping, farting, etc. You may not like farts, but they are not "wrong".
    Bull****. First off since you only want to talk about that one sentence then I assume you agree with the rest of it.

    Now to your point.

    When as a group consumers largely give all of their money person A then person A is going to have a lot more money than the rest of the people. here in America we have a system like this. The majority of people in this country spend their money on products and services offered to us by the super rich. We are giving them all of our money then we turn and complain that they have the money that we gave them. Then we get angry that they are not employing us.

    No business can succeed without a customer base. A company cannot continue to manufacturer a product that people are not buying. People in America demand a higher wage and more benefits than many other countries. People in America have certain expectations of companies that add to their operating costs. manufacturing products costs are higher in America. With higher wages and higher manufacturing costs, the price of a product is going to go up.
    When a price of an American made product is $1.00 and the Chinese equivalent is $0.08 and no one will pay the American pricing we lose jobs. This is not because Obama failed, it is because we failed. Americans have two choices. Start working under Chinese slave labor condition or start buying goods made in America.

    The things I listed above are the problem in our country. They are why we are having the economic problems that we are having today. When as a consumer base we reward actions that are detrimental to our economy for our own greedy reasons it is a wrong. Farts dont cause hardships to hundreds of millions of Americans. Dont compare the two. They are not the same. The free market is a system where the consumer has the power. The government is not going to change that. They can pass all the legislation they want but if the consumer base starts investing in itself rather than dumping all their money into the pockets then the wealth disparity in this country will change. Americans start keeping their money here, and in their communities and they will thrive. We keep giving all of our money to foriegn companies, and faceless corporations then they will thrive. The choice is the consumers.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No no, you really are ignorant of history. You just displayed it in spades. Citing Milton Freedman, endorser of Pinochet as proof that a "free market" is what we need. Here is your small government idol:

    Unless of course we forget that:

    Chile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The first years of the regime were marked by human rights violations. On October 1973, at least 72 people were murdered by the Caravan of Death.[48] According to the Rettig Report and Valech Commission, at least 2,115 were killed,[49] and at least 27,265 [50] were tortured (including 88 children younger than 12 years old).[50] A new Constitution was approved by a controversial plebiscite on 11 September 1980, and General Pinochet became president of the republic for an 8-year term.
    And you use this as proof that Friedman somehow was not smart about economics, and then to attack me ad-hominem ? This most pathetic argument ?

    Friedman was not endorsing Pinochet. He was saying that they were better off than communist countries. He was saying they also needed to get rid of Pinochet's junta.

    How many were killed by Stalin ? Mao ? Pol Pot ? Count by 10,000 at a time

    Agree or disagree, this is also from Wiki about Friedman:

    Friedman defended his activity in Chile on the grounds that, in his opinion, the adoption of free market policies not only improved the economic situation of Chile but also contributed to the amelioration of Pinochet's rule and to the eventual transition to a democratic government during 1990. That idea is included in Capitalism and Freedom, in which he declared that economic freedom is not only desirable in itself but is also a necessary condition for political freedom. He stressed that the lectures he gave in Chile were the same lectures he later gave in China and other socialist states.[61] During the 2000 PBS documentary The Commanding Heights (based on the book), Friedman continued to argue that criticism over his role in Chile missed his main contention that freer markets resulted in freer people, and that Chile's unfree economy had caused the military government. Friedman suggested that the economic liberalization he advocated caused the end of military rule and a free Chile.
    When it comes to history, and economics, you are most ignorant.

  6. #156
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,327

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    And you use this as proof that Friedman somehow was not smart about economics, and then to attack me ad-hominem ? This most pathetic argument ?

    Friedman was not endorsing Pinochet. He was saying that they were better off than communist countries. He was saying they also needed to get rid of Pinochet's junta.

    How many were killed by Stalin ? Mao ? Pol Pot ? Count by 10,000 at a time

    Agree or disagree, this is also from Wiki about Friedman:



    When it comes to history, and economics, you are most ignorant.
    Hatuey is doing it again isnt he?

    Cherry Picker.jpg

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Bull****. First off since you only want to talk about that one sentence then I assume you agree with the rest of it.

    Now to your point.

    When as a group consumers largely give all of their money person A then person A is going to have a lot more money than the rest of the people. here in America we have a system like this. The majority of people in this country spend their money on products and services offered to us by the super rich. We are giving them all of our money then we turn and complain that they have the money that we gave them. Then we get angry that they are not employing us.

    No business can succeed without a customer base. A company cannot continue to manufacturer a product that people are not buying. People in America demand a higher wage and more benefits than many other countries. People in America have certain expectations of companies that add to their operating costs. manufacturing products costs are higher in America. With higher wages and higher manufacturing costs, the price of a product is going to go up.
    When a price of an American made product is $1.00 and the Chinese equivalent is $0.08 and no one will pay the American pricing we lose jobs. This is not because Obama failed, it is because we failed. Americans have two choices. Start working under Chinese slave labor condition or start buying goods made in America.

    The things I listed above are the problem in our country. They are why we are having the economic problems that we are having today. When as a consumer base we reward actions that are detrimental to our economy for our own greedy reasons it is a wrong. Farts dont cause hardships to hundreds of millions of Americans. Dont compare the two. They are not the same. The free market is a system where the consumer has the power. The government is not going to change that. They can pass all the legislation they want but if the consumer base starts investing in itself rather than dumping all their money into the pockets then the wealth disparity in this country will change. Americans start keeping their money here, and in their communities and they will thrive. We keep giving all of our money to foriegn companies, and faceless corporations then they will thrive. The choice is the consumers.
    My contention is that you are complaining about human nature. About things that you cannot change except by using government to change behavior by force.

    Capitalism, for all its flaws, is the best economic system out there because it harnesses what motivates people in the marketplace.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,541

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    And you use this as proof that Friedman somehow was not smart about economics,
    No, I use this as proof that Milton Freedman wasn't a supporter of "small government" or for that matter "free markets". Maybe if you had a clue as to what you were discussing instead of looking up YouTube videos, you'd have realized that.

    Friedman was not endorsing Pinochet.
    Of course he wasn't, which is why he said the country was freer than communist countries, which it wasn't. Actually the Chilean dictatorship was brutal.

    He was saying that they were better off than communist countries.
    Which they weren't.

    He was saying they also needed to get rid of Pinochet's junta.
    WHERE?

    How many were killed by Stalin ? Mao ? Pol Pot ? Count by 10,000 at a time
    So now we're marking "free societies" by how many get killed? You're more dishonest or ignorant than I thought.

    Agree or disagree, this is also from Wiki about Friedman:

    When it comes to history, and economics, you are most ignorant.
    He declared that economic freedom is not only desirable in itself but is also a necessary condition for political freedom.
    There WAS NO POLITICAL FREEDOM IN CHILE during Pinochet's regime. Are you even serious?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: OWS plan on blocking New York Bridges, Tunnels, and Ferries on May 1st.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well, the immeidate answer is, you wouldn't have the right. Most metropolitian cities have a pedestrian has the right of way in almost all instances including this one.
    I've gotten to a point where the next one might just get "He had the Right of Way" engraved on his/her headstone. I have lost all patience with these worthless mofo's who cannot cross in a crosswalk and/or wait for the damn "Walk" light... which should in fact say RUN because most of these bums don't walk fast enough to get across the street in the time alloted.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    But feel free to try. If it's something you want to go to prison for, knock yourself out.
    At this point prison couldn't be a whole lot worse than my work situation.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,121

    Re: 'Occupy' Promises 'Biggest Shut Down The City Of New York Has Ever Seen,' Blockad

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    My contention is that you are complaining about human nature.
    I am not complaining about human nature. Self preservation is human nature. and actively destroying our economy, our environment, our childrens futures ect. is not self preservation. If this were a problem because of human nature self preservation would trump greed.

    About things that you cannot change except by using government to change behavior by force.
    That is a terrible assumption and I do not even think you read anything that I said. Please read what I write before you reply.

    Capitalism, for all its flaws, is the best economic system out there because it harnesses what motivates people in the marketplace.
    What does this have to do with anything I posted either? Please go back and read what I wrote then come back and reply again. Nothing in my post is advocating using the government to change behavior or is anti capitalism.
    Last edited by Kreton; 04-30-12 at 05:50 PM.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •