Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #941
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Well, you keep saying that it's not even mentioned. So....... finish the thought. What's the conclusion based on your interpretation that it's not mentioned?



    So if it's never mentioned in Scripture, why do you agree with Savage's Bible-bashing? That makes no sense.
    It all depends upon the manner in which many who call themselves 'Christian' interpret what they read. The argument as noted in the Westar linked piece is over interpretation of the original Greek text. So today many people are arguing over interpretations of interpretations of interpretations.

    The Westar essay does not say "there is no mention of homosexuality in the New Testament", the phrase used was "what we have learned to call ‘sexual orientation’.”

    Josie, which version of the Bible have you read during your life, or have you read more than one version? Have you read the New Testament in the ancient Greek version?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #942
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Everyone that is against gay marriage I know never mentions it has anything to do with religion.....i dont know why such an emphasis on religion as being the culprit...

  3. #943
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    The ill-informed, or those who believe blindly without researching, believe the bible mentions homosexuality. That being the case, it is hypocritical for them to harp on homosexuality while ignoring other laws contained in the book, or put excessive emphasis on homosexuality over other laws clearly stated.

    On that point, I certainly agree with him.
    Oh, I agree that there's an unbalanced emphasis on homosexuality. That's part of my point.


  4. #944
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    It all depends upon the manner in which many who call themselves 'Christian' interpret what they read. The argument as noted in the Westar linked piece is over interpretation of the original Greek text. So today many people are arguing over interpretations of interpretations of interpretations.

    The Westar essay does not say "there is no mention of homosexuality in the New Testament", the phrase used was "what we have learned to call ‘sexual orientation’.”

    Josie, which version of the Bible have you read during your life, or have you read more than one version? Have you read the New Testament in the ancient Greek version?
    Several translations. I never learned Greek.


  5. #945
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Good! not every American who names their self - Christian, holds that view. Their are too many who do advocate the measures I noted. The problem we have is the reality of far too many of the 'polite' xians refusing to speak up in protest of the actions and words of their fellow religionists who do promote the idea of biblical punishment for the sinners.
    Your view of Christians are distorted. I cannot think of a single Christian in my life who would force castration on gays. Lol. Seriously. Most of us would be fine with civil unions, some of us support gay marriage, and some would want neither.

    As to "religionists who do promote the idea of biblical punishment for the sinners" I almost think you are just making **** up. What punishments for what sin?

  6. #946
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    Your view of Christians are distorted. I cannot think of a single Christian in my life who would force castration on gays. Lol. Seriously. Most of us would be fine with civil unions, some of us support gay marriage, and some would want neither.

    As to "religionists who do promote the idea of biblical punishment for the sinners" I almost think you are just making **** up. What punishments for what sin?
    I dont know why everyone keeps targeting christians as the bad guys...their influence politically and other ways have diminished greatly in 20 yrs...
    Its like people believe if they could obliterate religion everyone will want to give them what they want...I think they are wrong...
    Im not a religious guy...I was raised a catholic but spent more time going to church at a soda shop playing pinball and lieing to my parents...none of my beliefs are predicated on christian teachings or beliefs...especially when it comes to gay marriage.

  7. #947
    Educator Flippinfunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA (Raised in SW Oklahoma)
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    883

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont know why everyone keeps targeting christians as the bad guys...their influence politically and other ways have diminished greatly in 20 yrs...
    Its like people believe if they could obliterate religion everyone will want to give them what they want...I think they are wrong...
    Im not a religious guy...I was raised a catholic but spent more time going to church at a soda shop playing pinball and lieing to my parents...none of my beliefs are predicated on christian teachings or beliefs...especially when it comes to gay marriage.
    Fair enough, but that's just you. Plenty of people base their anti gay marriage opinion on the Bible.
    Silly poor people
    Tax cuts are for the rich!

  8. #948
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Flippinfunky View Post
    Sorry but if those "kids" cant handle "pansy ass", they're going to have a real hard time in life as adults, and as journalists.
    Who says they can't handle it? In fact I think they handled the lead up to the name calling absolutely perfectly.

  9. #949
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,579
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    It's not a strawman, tessa. They are saying that homosexuality really isn't spoken about all that much in the NT, so it must not really be a big deal. That's like saying that since "freedom of speech" is only mentioned once in the Bill of Rights it must mean that the Founders really didn't mean that people should have it. It's okay to take it away since it was only mentioned once. No biggie.
    Josie, when Christians call homosexuality a sin specifically because the Bible says it is a sin... and it turns out that the Bible doesn't say that at all (In the NT, which according to you and many others is the only Bible Christians accept), then moving the goalposts to another topic, like child molestation, is a strawman.

    The bottom line is that when Christians call homosexuality a sin because their Bible says it is, they are misstating the contents of their own Bible. Doesn't mean they have to "like" homosexual behavior; doesn't mean they have to agree with it. They just cannot legitimately state that it's a recognized sin in the Bible. It isn't.

  10. #950
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Everyone that is against gay marriage I know never mentions it has anything to do with religion.....i dont know why such an emphasis on religion as being the culprit...
    I've never met anyone who, when you cut through all their bullcrap, you find out it's all about the bible.

    Atheist Libertarians who are against the freedom to marry are either hypocrites or liars.

Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •