Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #761
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    I don't have to try again Gimmie. I made my point. You just didn't like it, right?
    It is not the same, Billy, but then maybe the problem is that you don't know the difference between an inanimate object (a book) and an animated one (a person).
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #762
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]



    Classic cartoon fits in any scenario.

  3. #763
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    High Road
    Fort Minor feat. John Legend

    just sayin'. carry on.
    Within the top 50 favorites of my Mp3 player.

  4. #764
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    That would not be the "the shoe on the other foot", what I wrote above would be. Of course, the problem is, that the Bible does not condemn straig......er...."normal" people.

    enough......
    With respect I view it differently. If someone is being disrespectful like Dan was, then any people in the crowd, I think, has the right to civilly leave. This applies to gay students, black students, Muslims, Christians, whatever. That is what my point is about; if you're offended you have the right to leave and, imo, other people shouldn't disrespect you for it. I also feel Dan was being a punk; any person can get their message out more effectively than being insulting.

  5. #765
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post


    Classic cartoon fits in any scenario.
    I don't think so. That cartoon misrepresents what happened in this scenario, and in general is dubious, imo.

  6. #766
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I don't care for Dan Savag but I can't say I disagree with his opinion of the bible. However, I think he's completely off the mark in regards to bullying here.

    I don't see any evidence that Christianity is a root cause for this kind of bullying. I see no reason to believe that the underlying psychology for bullying a particular subset, in this case - gays, is any different than the underlying psychology for bullying scrawny nerds, or fat girls, or kids with bad acne. And that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.
    Does this work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Kinda like this....and whatnot?



    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #767
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    With respect I view it differently. If someone is being disrespectful like Dan was, then any people in the crowd, I think, has the right to civilly leave. This applies to gay students, black students, Muslims, Christians, whatever. That is what my point is about; if you're offended you have the right to leave and, imo, other people shouldn't disrespect you for it. I also feel Dan was being a punk; any person can get their message out more effectively than being insulting.
    Um, the argument is not over whether there is or is not a right to leave.

    I'll say it again, for it to be the "shoe on the other foot" it would go like this:

    "You are a hypocrite if you are a christian gay and condemn straight people, we can learn to ignore the bs in the Bible about straight people, just as we have learned to ignore the bs in the Bible about shellfish, slavery...."

    And I am still trying to figure out...are you really making a distinction between "normal" and gay?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #768
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    (1) Um, the argument is not over whether there is or is not a right to leave.

    I'll say it again, for it to be the "shoe on the other foot" it would go like this:

    (2) "You are a hypocrite if you are a christian gay and condemn straight people, we can learn to ignore the bs in the Bible about straight people, just as we have learned to ignore the bs in the Bible about shellfish, slavery...."
    (1) One point I've been making in this discussion is that all kinds of students should have the right to leave civilly without being castigated.

    (2) We're probably not going to agree on this. My religion is very important to me, and you see it as merely a book. I also feel you're distorting the points I'm trying to convey, one of the main ones being in point #1. When I refer to "the show on the other foot," I'm referring to those people on one side of the spectrum who view homosexuality as a sin, and those people on the other who don't view it as a sin and support the concept of homosexuality. Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a gay Christian, just like I don't think there are adulterous Christians; the Bible explicitly mentions those things as sin and warns Christians of it. There is a difference, though, if a Christian has had gay temptations or was gay, but is trying his/her best to change and follow the Word of God. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

  9. #769
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    (1) One point I've been making in this discussion is that all kinds of students should have the right to leave civilly without being castigated.
    The "right" was never debated.

    We're probably not going to agree on this. My religion is very important to me, and you see it as merely a book. I also feel you're distorting the points I'm trying to convey, one of the main ones being in point #1. When I refer to "the show on the other foot," I'm referring to those people on one side of the spectrum who view homosexuality as a sin, and those people on the other who don't view it as a sin and support the concept of homosexuality.
    You avoid describing what a speaker would say "if the shoe was on the other foot"! You brought up this hypothetical and when I spell it out in the same logic from that "other" speaker, the logic collapses.....because there is no other foot.

    And to add, homosexuality is no more a "concept" than heterosexuality. They are facts of life, your god created both.


    Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a gay Christian, just like I don't think there are adulterous Christians; the Bible explicitly mentions those things as sin and warns Christians of it. There is a difference, though, if a Christian has had gay temptations or was gay, but is trying his/her best to change and follow the Word of God. Those are my thoughts on the matter.
    So then what is a person who does not love his neighbor, who condemns his neighbor, who passes judgement on his neighbor? Are those not "sins"? Is that person a "christian" when they use the Bible to condemn to hell a neighbor....casting the first stone and all?

    PS...I see for the third time you have avoided clarifying the "normal" and gay question.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-02-12 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #770
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I don't think so. That cartoon misrepresents what happened in this scenario, and in general is dubious, imo.
    Of course. Because it's the not the gay teens being bullied to the point of suicide who are the victims. It's the poor conservative Christian community that are the real victims here. The precious liberty of using traditional social authority to belittle others not to their liking are under attack. Victimhood culture; everyone's a star player, unless you're actually a victim, then you're just a pain in the ass.

Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •