Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #741
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Sometimes it is harder to be kind than it is to be right.
    To bad that Savage is both mean and wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It depends on what "turning the tables" means.
    It would mean someone saying the opposite message with the same vulgarity and hateful undertones. For instance, some Christian guy saying we need to ignore the bull**** of this world that pushes sexual immorality and whatnot.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #742
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Savage clearly has the position of power in that room... he was the speaker. ( the bully pulpit)
    using his position of power, he insults , berates, and some might say intimidates, this group of kids who are Christians.... he might have been fine sticking to beating up the bible, but he also decides to call the kids who left names.... it is not a stretch at all to say he was bullying... hell, he even had an explicit agenda to go along with his attacks ( to get the kids to ignore the parts of the bible about homosexuality)

    he was being a bully... not as bad as some bullies are... no where near as bad as some of the heinous bullies.... but he was still being a bully.


    as far as i'm concerned, anyone can be a bully, and anyone can be a victim... no one , and no group, is excluded from either
    This term was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt, who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit," by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt famously used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful" (a more common expression in his time than it is today).
    Its meaning in this sense is only distantly related to the modern form of "bully", which means "harasser of the weak". The word is related to the Dutch boel, meaning lover, and is also found in the German word Nebenbuhler, meaning a rival for a lady's affection. In English usage around 1700, "bully" came to be similar to "pimp," which gives us the connotation of a ruffian or harasser.[1]
    Due to the archaic nature of the adjective "bully" and the religious symbolism of the word pulpit (the elevated platform used by a preacher), this phrase is now often used as a pejorative. This misinterpretation implies intimidation and, possibly, an abuse of authority. An example of this contemporary usage would be the sentence: "He uses his job as a bully pulpit, regaling his subordinates with his political opinions as part of their morning meetings."
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #743
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    To bad that Savage is both mean and wrong
    The average Christian doesn't know a damn thing about the Bible. That isn't just my opinion. That is verifiable with studies. Not to mention I ask people all the time in which books of the Bible are the condemnations of homosexuality and 9 times out of 10 they can't name one.

    Savage and I are different. He thinks Christians who cite the Bible to condemn homosexuality but ignore the other parts are hypocrites. I think they are just stupid or ill informed.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-01-12 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #744
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It would mean someone saying the opposite message with the same vulgarity and hateful undertones. For instance, some Christian guy saying we need to ignore the bull**** of this world that pushes sexual immorality and whatnot.
    Nope, I definitely wouldn't support that because I disagree with that opinion. Although, I still wouldn't consider the person who said it to be a bully. Now, if "turning the tables" had meant some Christian guy saying, "we need to ignore the bull**** of those who call themselves open-minded and then close their minds to understanding our morality," then I wouldn't have a problem with it because just as Savage is pointing out inconsistencies in belief, that Christian guy would be too.

  5. #745
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    To bad that Savage is both mean and wrong

    It would mean someone saying the opposite message with the same vulgarity and hateful undertones. For instance, some Christian guy saying we need to ignore the bull**** of this world that pushes sexual immorality and whatnot.

    Kinda like this....and whatnot?



    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #746
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Not to mention I ask people all the time in which books of the Bible are the condemnations of homosexuality and 9 times out of 10 they can't name one.
    Deuteronomy, Leviticus, Corinthians, Genesis. Corinthians 6:9-10 speaks of sexual immorality in general, Deuteronomy and Leviticus speak specifically of homosexual acts, Genesis is iffy, because Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of the peoples actions towards the Lords messengers, and not specifically because of homosexuality.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #747
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]


  8. #748
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The average Christian doesn't know a damn thing about the Bible. That isn't just my opinion. That is verifiable with studies. Not to mention I ask people all the time in which books of the Bible are the condemnations of homosexuality and 9 times out of 10 they can't name one.

    Savage and I are different. He thinks Christians who cite the Bible to condemn homosexuality but ignore the other parts are hypocrites. I think they are just stupid or ill informed.
    What studies?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #749
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Fixed your editing, and again I'll repost the bit further on....
    I didn't edit...I added an explanation. That's what the [] means.

    Again, one remark towards a groups action is not "bullying"....it is stretching.

    Criticizing parts of the Bible is not "bullying".
    So, despite all evidence to the contrary...you are going to say that an action must be repeated against a specific individual before it can be considered bullying? How many times must it be repeated? Once? Twice?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #750
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What studies?



    I was wondering the same thing - "study . . . what study". But I'm positive someone, somewhere will find a study from where ever to condemn these kids for walking out on the bully.

Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •