Page 53 of 117 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #521
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    My take is that you are trying to prove that Savage is an "expert on bullying" because the title of the thread implies it....to you.

    My take is also that you can't form a specific question for me to answer.....that I haven't answered before.......after you "thought" I was not "following along".

    Go away, Billy.


    Oh come now Gimme, surely a man/woman such as yourself, who wants/needs others to answer your questions, will have an answer to the thread at the ready, yes?


    Was the guy a bullying the children or wasn't he?

  2. #522
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Well - looking at this reasonably, here - jokes aside.

    There were two issues here.

    One - using foul language in a public-speaking environment of any nature.

    Two - criticizing a religion and citing it for creating the problem they're there to discuss and go against.

    Using one to further two - it came across off-the-mark. But is that bullying? No - I don't consider something to be bullying if it doesn't involve some sort of perpetual, constant or physical confrontation.

    This - was a rant . . . he made a point that could have been made more politely, at least - I honestly think no one would have walked out if he just chose a different tactic to bring up the topic.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #523
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Phobia is the fear of something, and I don't see the belief that homosexuality is a sin, as some kind of fear.
    Homophobia isnt actually a fear of something. It is a hatred or dislike.

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well - looking at this reasonably, here - jokes aside.

    There were two issues here.

    One - using foul language in a public-speaking environment of any nature.

    Two - criticizing a religion and citing it for creating the problem they're there to discuss and go against.

    Using one to further two - it came across off-the-mark. But is that bullying? No - I don't consider something to be bullying if it doesn't involve some sort of perpetual, constant or physical confrontation.

    This - was a rant . . . he made a point that could have been made more politely, at least - I honestly think no one would have walked out if he just chose a different tactic to bring up the topic.
    With this you've summed up my thoughts quite well. Thanks.

  5. #525
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    suggestion noted, and dismissed.

    it's not anyone else's fault you decided to purposefully downplay the importance of the bible in order to fit your argument... that's on you.
    If a journalist student can't handle criticism of the Bible, walks away from such criticism, they are a wimp and should not be a journalist.

    Didn't I already say that? Yeah...I did.

    Controversial subjects and speakers will be something they will face if they want to stay in that line of work, better they learn it now whether they can handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #526
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    How would you define the Christian's 'persecution complex?'
    Complaining about being "bullied" as if it's in anyway equal in significance to the bullying and societal alienation that gay people go through.

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Complaining about being "bullied" as if it's in anyway equal in significance to the bullying and societal alienation that gay people go through.
    What does the mean? Do we downplay Christian victims of bullying?

    I will say that any bullying is wrong and not Christianly. For the record believing that homosexuality is a sin is not bullying; you didn't mention it, but I felt in general that point needed to be brought to the surface. I wonder if there is any numerical data on the different general groups of victims regarding bullying.

  8. #528
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    If a journalist student can't handle criticism of the Bible, walks away from such criticism, they are a wimp and should not be a journalist.

    Didn't I already say that? Yeah...I did.

    Controversial subjects and speakers will be something they will face if they want to stay in that line of work, better they learn it now whether they can handle it.
    every person has a different tolerance level for **** they don't want to hear.... don't be so arrogant as to feel you are the judge of that level for anyone but yourself.

    there were quite a few Christian kids there.. and they were told this was an anti-bullying lecture... that is what they expected, and that is NOT what was delivered.
    what was delivered was an attack on their beliefs and their holy book.. an attack that you characterize as a "criticism".. even if it was jsut a criticism, criticism of their beliefs was not on the menu for that day.... anti-bullying was... not an attack on the bible.... anti-bullying..... not his insults of asshatery.... anti-bullying.

    this speaker, supposedly an anti-bullying activist, then decided that Christians should just ignore the "bs in the bible" that he doesn't feel should be paid attention to... he goes from gay anti bullying activist to some sort of ecumenical authority throwing out mandates on which parts of the bible need be ignored.
    these high school kids are just that, kids...he isn't speaking to adults who can fight back or debate him, they are just kids.... kids whose beliefs system he put down as bs..... it is not the place of the kids to decide what parts of the bible to ignore and what parts not to... generally speaking, those decision come from theologians and ecumenical authorities.
    practically speaking, those kids probably don't know about the bible to the degree that Savage does.. and certainly not to the degree of many devout adults.... so they probably see the attack as an attack on the bible as a whole.. an attack on their belief system as a whole.
    his underlying message may have been correct and his intent, noble..., but he is , for lack of a more fitting term.. and absolute asshole in his presentation.

    this isn't the first time i've seen Savage.... he's the same everywhere he goes " accept me , love me for who i am.. or i will ****ing tear into your ass and call you names".. that's his style... and that is the idiocy of Savage.
    some people like that... some people don't..
    you will never find acceptance being being a supreme asshole... you defeat your own purpose and the purpose of all others who share that cause when you do so.
    in any event, it matters not what Savage says.. he may spout wisdom for days and weeks, and sorry to say, I simply won't accept him ... not because he's gay, but because he's an asshole.

  9. #529
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Complaining about being "bullied" as if it's in anyway equal in significance to the bullying and societal alienation that gay people go through.

    not sure how it is in school nowadays, but in my day.. Christians were bullied pretty hard... they were squares, virgins, good-two-shoes... and yeah, we bullied them when we were kids... they weren't cool.
    I can't recall any gays being bullied, but that most likely because we never really knew who was gay and who wasn't... being openly gay wasn't something that happened in our schools back then.

    I'd imagine that some of the christian kids.. the goody two shoes.. get bullied to this very day.
    I think they are less likely to commit suicide though, as being a christian means you are never alone in the world, not as long as you have Jesus, as it goes.

  10. #530
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    Yes... because the news tends to tell us what happened.
    Exactly.

    I assume you assume that it has and the media is a giant conspiracy that hates christians...

    just a guess...

    if you think that... that's pretty ****ing stupid...
    And here I thought you were pretty bright.....a better way to put it is, you're not going to hear about Christians being the brunt of riduclue because they are not the minority. Now, are you going to go on record saying that it is ok to bully so long as you belong to a "bullied" class?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •