Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yeah, but you choose to go there so why would you leave in the middle like a child?
    What if someone doesn't know the full content of what is coming? Someone can market a speech or an assembly as "anti-bullying" but if they take that time to be offensive I think walking out is appropriate. I think the childish person was the speaker, not the students. As dignified people we don't have to sit through stuff like that, and those types of messages don't deserve to be listened to.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Agree he was being unnecesarily antagonistic to a group of HS kids...he could have said everything he did in an entirely enlightening way and got his message across...
    I agree, although based on his delivery I think he had a personal message behind what he was trying to convey. That personal message being his personal dislike or hatred of Christianity and the Bible. If he simply said that we shouldn't use religion to hate or bully people that would be fine. But I don't think his intentions are purely honorable and form what I heard I would bet that he has a personal axe to grind and was incapable of putting that aside to get his overall message across.
    Last edited by digsbe; 04-29-12 at 12:53 AM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    What if someone doesn't know the full content of what is coming? Someone can market a speech or an assembly as "anti-bullying" but if they take that time to be offensive I think walking out is appropriate. I think the childish person was the speaker, not the students. As dignified people we don't have to sit through stuff like that, and those types of messages don't deserve to be listened to.
    I'm a big believer in the market place of ideas, let someone speak and if they are an idiot that will become evident, and if someone says something you disagree with, challenge it, don't walk away and have the out of sight out of mind mentality. If you believe they are wrong challenge them.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Great. Another hackish instance of making it seem there are mainly gay victims bullied by white Christians. It's not like it should be mentioned there are non-gay victims and non-white/Christian bullies. Nope, can't have that. You know what, let's use this as a political tool to swipe at whites and Christians and Christianity in general because we really don't give a **** about the victims, but our own political ends.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I'm a big believer in the market place of ideas, let someone speak and if they are an idiot that will become evident, and if someone says something you disagree with, challenge it, don't walk away and have the out of sight out of mind mentality. If you believe they are wrong challenge them.
    I whole heartedly agree. I think challenging things is better than ignoring them and saying that you were offended while just filing stuff off. However, I also don't think that people need to put up with it and can leave if someone is being hateful without the action of leaving being childish. Sometimes when children throw a fit it's best to ignore them and walk away and not give attention to that. I think the speaker here was the child and those that walked out were not. Personally, I probably would have sat through it and then booed him at the end when others may applaud him.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #45
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    No doubt this "spontaneous" walk-out, was planned in advance.

    How do I know? I've participated in such things.
    Acording to the link the event sponsor said they did not have a prior transcript of Savage's speech. It was supposed to be a speech on bullying. How can you plan a protest in advance of something you're not aware of?

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I whole heartedly agree. I think challenging things is better than ignoring them and saying that you were offended while just filing stuff off. However, I also don't think that people need to put up with it and can leave if someone is being hateful without the action of leaving being childish. Sometimes when children throw a fit it's best to ignore them and walk away and not give attention to that. I think the speaker here was the child and those that walked out were not. Personally, I probably would have sat through it and then booed him at the end when others may applaud him.
    I just find it unsettling that people would rather ignore than use their minds to challenge, and while I don't really find what he said that offensive, even as a Christian(and it's probably because it takes a lot for me to get offended) he didn't say it in a good way, and I don't really like him anyway, but that's not really what I was talking about in the first place.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #47
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I just find it unsettling that people would rather ignore than use their minds to challenge, and while I don't really find what he said that offensive, even as a Christian(and it's probably because it takes a lot for me to get offended) he didn't say it in a good way, and I don't really like him anyway, but that's not really what I was talking about in the first place.
    nah. It's like when someone on television starts yelling that their opposition is Just Like Hitler. They have lost the ability to even rationally understand reply, and so they arent' worth the effort.

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    nah. It's like when someone on television starts yelling that their opposition is Just Like Hitler. They have lost the ability to even rationally understand reply, and so they arent' worth the effort.
    It's not them I care about, it's everyone else listening.

    Love the movie "Thank you for Smoking"
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #49
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Anyways, there's a general lack of discipline in schools that's a problem, not "bullying".

    Schools rack dissiprin!
    Last edited by Matt Foley; 04-29-12 at 01:19 AM.

  10. #50
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the side that says they hate the sin but love the sinner.
    Why would you quote something you don't believe in? Do you see those on the right running around saying that if you care so much about the poor you wouldn't be making energy so expensive? Huh?!!

Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •