Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #261
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    154,875

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is just absolute nonsense, to claim that that you know that when people say what drove them over the edge was not what they said it was.....that in effect they are lying.

    Where do you get off claiming to know more about the cause than the person who actually killed themselves?

    Wow, unbelievable.
    20+ years as a clinical psychotherapist having worked with hundreds of people who have attempted suicide AND having done my graduate school thesis on suicidality. I know the issue backwards and forwards, better than most. There is no ONE factor that "causes" someone to attempt/commit suicide. It is FAR more complicated than that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #262
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-18 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,952

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Told you what he said. You don't agree. Your agreement is not necessary.
    You are not stating what he said....because he never said it.



    Well, he didn't say anything of the kind in his tirade, so his ability to point out hypocrisy failed.
    You just absolutely refuse to listen to what he said, you r filter is just amazing. You have no justification for your position, and then you reject the obvious logic of what he said.



    No, that's not my argument either. Keep trying.
    No, this is the part where you try to restate what point you had....that you don't have any longer....which is why you can't state it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #263
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    154,875

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree which is why I said, "a particular understanding of the Bible" instead of "the Bible." And that's my point, the beliefs that stem from particular understandings/interpretations of the Bible influence Christian actions. In this case, the action being discussed is bullying. It's not just a case of "oh these guys are just assholes, their beliefs have nothing to do with it." That's wrong. Their beliefs do have an influence just like they have an influence when they do good things.
    Of course they have an influence, but the overriding factor is the individual's interpretation of those beliefs. It's why two people can hear the same passage and take very different things from it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #264
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-18 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,952

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    20+ years as a clinical psychotherapist having worked with hundreds of people who have attempted suicide AND having done my graduate school thesis on suicidality. I know the issue backwards and forwards, better than most. There is no ONE factor that "causes" someone to attempt/commit suicide. It is FAR more complicated than that.
    I see, in all of your experience, their has never been a single action that finally pushed a person over the edge.....or that the accumulated bullying pushed someone to suicide.

    Got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #265
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    154,875

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are not stating what he said....because he never said it.
    I did state what he said. You have chosen to not listen to it.

    You just absolutely refuse to listen to what he said, you r filter is just amazing. You have no justification for your position, and then you reject the obvious logic of what he said.
    I listened to everything he said, clearly. You have chosen to close your mind to any opposing views. And I have already pointed out several logical errors that you have made.



    No, this is the part where you try to restate what point you had....that you don't have any longer....which is why you can't state it.
    No, this is the part where you prefer to argue something I didn't say because you can't argue what I did.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #266
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    154,875

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I see, in all of your experience, their has never been a single action that finally pushed a person over the edge.....or that the accumulated bullying pushed someone to suicide.

    Got it.
    Let me know when you want to discuss what I say, and not what you want me to say. It is getting tiring watching you misquote me and make so many logical errors.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #267
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-18 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,952

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I don't care for Dan Savag but I can't say I disagree with his opinion of the bible. However, I think he's completely off the mark in regards to bullying here.

    I don't see any evidence that Christianity is a root cause for this kind of bullying. I see no reason to believe that the underlying psychology for bullying a particular subset, in this case - gays, is any different than the underlying psychology for bullying scrawny nerds, or fat girls, or kids with bad acne. And that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.

    On Monday, April 23, an 18-year-old Ogden resident on a community panel spoke about the dangers of bullying. Alex Smith told the packed room about the bullying his boyfriend, Jack, experienced at school.
    What no one in the room yet knew, including Alex, was that Jack had already taken his own life.
    The death of Jack Reese is the latest known suicide of a gay teen in Northern Utah.
    One official told Ogden OUTreach director Marian Edmonds, off the record: “It happens here about once a week, but officially, you know, it doesn’t happen here.”
    OUTreach is hosting a community panel and discussion, A Community Stands up – Northern Utah Addresses LGBT Bullying and Suicide on May 1, 6:30 p.m., at the Ogden Amphitheater, 343 E. 25th St., Ogden. The purpose of the event is for the community to stand in solidarity with queer youth, to speak out and express grief and outrage at yet another loss of life in Northern Utah, and to witness for the need for immediate change in schools, churches and society.
    Until all youth are loved and accepted in their homes, able to attend school without fear of bullying, and know that their lives are worth living, this community will continue to demand change, Edmonds said in a press release.
    Numerous community leaders, educators, parents and youth will speak out for acceptance and love for LGBT youth, including active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A candlelight vigil in memory of Jack Reese will be held at the conclusion of the event.
    The youth I work with all know either a victim of bullying, the loss of a friend to suicide, and most often, both. These youth are bright, creative and loving, yet too often face daily abuse from rejecting families, bullies at school and the loss of their church family. It is time for local schools to incorporate proven techniques for eliminating bullying and homophobia, for churches to preach love and acceptance, and for parents and families to love and accept their children. Each loss of life is a loss for all of us, and it must stop now,” Edmonds said.
    Edmonds underscored the need for accurate education and guidance for ethnically and religiously diverse families and cited the work of the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University – a research-based education, support and policy initiative that helps ethnically and religiously diverse families – including Latter-day Saint families – support their LGBT children in families, schools and faith communities to prevent suicide, substance abuse, HIV, homelessness, school victimization and family disruption. FAP uses a culturally grounded approach that strengthens families and promotes their LGBT children’s well-being.
    FAP’s family education materials are available online in three languages at familyproject.sfsu.edu/publications.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #268
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-18 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,952

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I did state what he said. You have chosen to not listen to it.
    No, you did not quote him, you still have not quoted him, you have not backed your claim that he condemns all of the Bible.



    I listened to everything he said, clearly. You have chosen to close your mind to any opposing views. And I have already pointed out several logical errors that you have made.
    Um, I presented the logic to his point, you did not address it, you rejected it without rationale.





    No, this is the part where you prefer to argue something I didn't say because you can't argue what I did.
    You are just playing games, you won't restate what your point was or is. That is fine with me, it only re-enforces my point that you don't have a point any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #269
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    154,875

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, you did not quote him, you still have not quoted him, you have not backed your claim that he condemns all of the Bible.
    I certainly did in post 243. I summarized accurately. I'm not going to transcribe his speech.

    Um, I presented the logic to his point, you did not address it, you rejected it without rationale.
    You presented no logic. You stated that he said something he did not say or address. That's called dishonesty.

    You are just playing games, you won't restate what your point was or is. That is fine with me, it only re-enforces my point that you don't have a point any longer.
    I'm not in the habit of restating positions because someone chooses to play straw man games which is what you are doing and doing consistently. You want to know my position? Read the post in question. It's all there.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #270
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-18 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,952

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I certainly did in post 243. I summarized accurately. I'm not going to transcribe his speech.
    Unless you have a quote showing he condemns ALL of the Bible, you have no point, since that was your point.



    You presented no logic. You stated that he said something he did not say or address. That's called dishonesty.
    No, I am not being dishonest, I am presenting the logic, I will do it again. A claim of hypocrisy comes from conflicting positions held by a person. The assumption is that a christian holds the views of acceptance and love of people....and that homosexuals should be condemned. To get to a position that a christian DOES hold to the acceptance and love view, is a position that the Bible does teach that. If Savage holds that view, then it follows that Savage does believe that the Bible teaches that. Savage would want christians to follow that teaching and not hold to the conflicting view of condemning gays.
    Ergo, Savage does not condemn ALL of the Bible.


    I'm not in the habit of restating positions because someone chooses to play straw man games which is what you are doing and doing consistently. You want to know my position? Read the post in question. It's all there.
    Anytime you want to prove your claim, I will be all eyes.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-29-12 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •