Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #251
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    There is always an exception to the rule.

    But for some reason I just don't see a person of stable mind taking their own life unless circumstances allowed for it.
    I would have to say getting bullied isn't one of them.
    However, jumping from the WTC could be that type of circumstance.

  2. #252
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I REALLY didn't even want to watch the video, because I knew I'd probably want to comment on it. Just been reading the thread since it's inception. OK. I watched the video. I have mixed feelings about it. Firstly, from what I saw, it seemed that the students leaving was a planned event. Too neat. And, at least from what I saw him saying, initially, I really didn't see anything incredibly offensive... and I am probably one of the most religious members on this board. However, my problem with what he was saying was that he was NOT discussing the root causes of hatred towards homosexuality. He was bashing the bible. If he wanted to discuss the root causes, he should have gone a different route. Probably should have discussed the REAL meanings of Leviticus and other passages, indicated how it's not the belief system, but what people take from it that matters, and how the root cause is really a dependency on religion to foster beliefs about sexuality rather than science and research. If he's talking about bullying, he need to present "tools' on how to confront it. You do this by proving people wrong, not by telling people their beliefs or "book" is BS. Overall, I saw the situation as a wash. Not as bad as some have presented, but not really appropriate for the conference.

    Oh, and with a presentation like his, he wouldn't last a minute at DP.
    I don't care for Dan Savag but I can't say I disagree with his opinion of the bible. However, I think he's completely off the mark in regards to bullying here.

    I don't see any evidence that Christianity is a root cause for this kind of bullying. I see no reason to believe that the underlying psychology for bullying a particular subset, in this case - gays, is any different than the underlying psychology for bullying scrawny nerds, or fat girls, or kids with bad acne. And that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.

  3. #253
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This what I rejected, this is the cave, this is what I objected to:

    To again cave to saying "People should be reasonable to those who hold to irrational views" is just utterly wrong, especially when those views foster the persecution we are discussing, the VERY THING that she has experienced.
    This was no "caving". It was recognizing that HOW you approach someone on this issue is of utmost importance. Good for her.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #254
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Didn't say Christianity. He went on a rant calling many things in the Bible "BS" and never presented ANY position that this was an exception nor presented any non-condemnation of the bible. His presentation condemned it.
    Again, no money quote, nothing to back your claim.
    Here is the error in your logic.

    If Dan did not recognize that the Bible does teach acceptance and forgiveness, that some christians do follow it while others do not, he would not be able to make the claim of hypocrisy.






    That is not what I said. Try not to make straw man arguments. Do try to address what I actually say.
    Your argument is that when he attacks portions of the Bible, he is attacking all of it....since you can't seem to come up with a statement from him that he condemns all of the Bible.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I don't care for Dan Savag but I can't say I disagree with his opinion of the bible. However, I think he's completely off the mark in regards to bullying here.

    I don't see any evidence that Christianity is a root cause for this kind of bullying. I see no reason to believe that the underlying psychology for bullying a particular subset, in this case - gays, is any different than the underlying psychology for bullying scrawny nerds, or fat girls, or kids with bad acne. And that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.
    Mmmm... I don't completely agree, here. The bible and how people interpret it does have a little do to with bullying in the case of gays, specifically, because SOME of the religious do use biblical passages to condemn homosexuals. There are no passages that present the same kind of attacks towards fat girls or kids with acne. This is a very light correlation, but one nevertheless.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #256
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The bullying did not "cause" the suicides. It may have contributed to how the individual felt, but no one causes anyone to commit suicide. Suicides are far more complicated than that. Some folks get bullied horribly and don't kill themselves, others get bullied minimally and do. There are a lot of factors that go into this. Near where I live, people are being prosecuted for contributing to the suicide of a gay college student. People video taped him in a compromising position with another male and then let this become public. Prosecuting them for harassment? Absolutely... throw the book at them. Blaming them for the suicide? No. Their behavior was wrong and they contributed to the instability of the individual who died, but they did not cause it.
    Nice post, CC. Well said.

  7. #257
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again, no money quote, nothing to back your claim.
    Here is the error in your logic.
    Told you what he said. You don't agree. Your agreement is not necessary.

    If Dan did not recognize that the Bible does teach acceptance and forgiveness, that some christians do follow it while others do not, he would not be able to make the claim of hypocrisy.
    Well, he didn't say anything of the kind in his tirade, so his ability to point out hypocrisy failed.

    Your argument is that when he attacks portions of the Bible, he is attacking all of it....since you can't seem to come up with a statement from him that he condemns all of the Bible.
    No, that's not my argument either. Keep trying.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #258
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The bullying did not "cause" the suicides. It may have contributed to how the individual felt, but no one causes anyone to commit suicide. Suicides are far more complicated than that. Some folks get bullied horribly and don't kill themselves, others get bullied minimally and do. There are a lot of factors that go into this. Near where I live, people are being prosecuted for contributing to the suicide of a gay college student. People video taped him in a compromising position with another male and then let this become public. Prosecuting them for harassment? Absolutely... throw the book at them. Blaming them for the suicide? No. Their behavior was wrong and they contributed to the instability of the individual who died, but they did not cause it.
    This is just absolute nonsense, to claim that that you know that when people say what drove them over the edge was not what they said it was.....that in effect they are lying.

    Where do you get off claiming to know more about the cause than the person who actually killed themselves?

    Wow, unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #259
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This what I rejected, this is the cave, this is what I objected to:

    To again cave to saying "People should be reasonable to those who hold to irrational views" is just utterly wrong, especially when those views foster the persecution we are discussing, the VERY THING that she has experienced.
    I did not cave in to anything. Savage was in the wrong here, and did nothing to help our cause.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #260
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I'll take a stab at this. Their interpretation of Christianity, therefore, their individual beliefs influenced their behavior.
    I agree which is why I said, "a particular understanding of the Bible" instead of "the Bible." And that's my point, the beliefs that stem from particular understandings/interpretations of the Bible influence Christian actions. In this case, the action being discussed is bullying. It's not just a case of "oh these guys are just assholes, their beliefs have nothing to do with it." That's wrong. Their beliefs do have an influence just like they have an influence when they do good things.

Page 26 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •