Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1162

Thread: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

  1. #221
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. He didn't condemn all Christians.
    2. I agree that individuals are responsible and that religion isn't solely responsible. Your point coexists with my point so I don't know why you're presenting it as a counterargument. I do, however, acknowledge that religious beliefs are part of it and to act as if they aren't is illogical and wrong.
    He condemned Christians' Book.

    And what he said was off-topic. He was invited to speak on alternative social media and using them to get the anti-bullying message out/raise awareness. He failed. He could have shared his expertise in using social media to help the budding journalists in his audience (whether they agree with his POV or not). He didn't. Instead, he indulged himself in a rant about one of his fave topics. We all know lecturers who do this instead of sticking to the topic. And that's what he did.

  2. #222
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Exactly. A curse-filled screed is not the way to open a real dialogue.
    Being driven to an auditorium in a yellow bus, then being sat down in rows of chairs with big-screen TV's every 10 feet of a talking head making a speech is not a "dialogue" it's "teaching" where one side is the superior and the other the inferior. There was no concept of equality of ideas in this setting where there's "real dialogue".

    It's a teaching environment with giant intimidating big screens to a young captive audience that kinda looks like this

    Last edited by Matt Foley; 04-29-12 at 06:59 PM.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    My argument is not dependent on a G_d.
    But even under your argument, that G_d created therefore - then G_d's supposed instructions apply.

    But as it is, my argument, not having to do with G_d, involves no hypocrisy.

    They are outside of the norm.
    In other words, you really don't have anything to say on the subject at hand....OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. Not really.
    We'll have to agree, to disagree then.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    2. I disagree. Beliefs are part of the reason. You could also argue that racist beliefs aren't the "real reason" why white supremacists kill black people, but it doesn't change the fact that racist beliefs are a part of the problem and that since they are irrational, they ought to be challenged.
    I don't remember Jesus saying, beat up and harass gay people.
    Christians are primarily following the teaching of Jesus.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #225
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I REALLY didn't even want to watch the video, because I knew I'd probably want to comment on it. Just been reading the thread since it's inception. OK. I watched the video. I have mixed feelings about it. Firstly, from what I saw, it seemed that the students leaving was a planned event. Too neat. And, at least from what I saw him saying, initially, I really didn't see anything incredibly offensive... and I am probably one of the most religious members on this board. However, my problem with what he was saying was that he was NOT discussing the root causes of hatred towards homosexuality. He was bashing the bible. If he wanted to discuss the root causes, he should have gone a different route. Probably should have discussed the REAL meanings of Leviticus and other passages, indicated how it's not the belief system, but what people take from it that matters, and how the root cause is really a dependency on religion to foster beliefs about sexuality rather than science and research. If he's talking about bullying, he need to present "tools' on how to confront it. You do this by proving people wrong, not by telling people their beliefs or "book" is BS. Overall, I saw the situation as a wash. Not as bad as some have presented, but not really appropriate for the conference.

    Oh, and with a presentation like his, he wouldn't last a minute at DP.
    Geez, you came into this discussion without understanding the basics of the debate?

    Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Me too. Christians follow Christ. True Christians aren't bigots. They might disagree with someone who is immoral in their eyes, but they don't persecute them for it. These people bullying gays aren't being Christ-like. Their actions don't come from their studies of Christ, but from hate.
    Why aren't they true Christians?

  7. #227
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    You know what's worse than a drunk preacher? A liberal one.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens[W:165; 667]You know what's worse than making an off-topic comment like this? Getting thread banned for it. Do it again, and you'll find out how this feels.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #228
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Why aren't they true Christians?
    Because that's not how Christians act. They're supposed to be Christ-like. Christ didn't promote hate. (Think: Westboro bigots)


  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    He condemned Christians' Book.

    And what he said was off-topic. He was invited to speak on alternative social media and using them to get the anti-bullying message out/raise awareness. He failed. He could have shared his expertise in using social media to help the budding journalists in his audience (whether they agree with his POV or not). He didn't. Instead, he indulged himself in a rant about one of his fave topics. We all know lecturers who do this instead of sticking to the topic. And that's what he did.
    He condemned the book within the context of saying, "we can ignore the parts about homosexuality like we ignore the parts about shellfish". That's fair.

    This was only part of his speech - a valid part that much of the audience agreed with. He could have been more respectful, but then again, would we even care about respect if we were talking about other kids of bigotry.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Me too. Christians follow Christ. True Christians aren't bigots. They might disagree with someone who is immoral in their eyes, but they don't persecute them for it. These people bullying gays aren't being Christ-like. Their actions don't come from their studies of Christ, but from hate.
    Except.....that the recent cases of bullying that has lead to suicides....were being done by "christians" using quotations from the Bible in their bullying.

    Hence the comments to journalist HS students.....who have an interest in this current topic.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-29-12 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •